The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #1
JRBECK64

Rear frame supports on a SHORTWIDE BED???

I was looking at my Sons truck when we were putting the bed on. I noticed that it looked like someone had cutt off the supports that go on the rear of the bed and set on top of the frame rails. Here is my question. Are the frame rails the same for a Short Step as the Short Wide beds? I think once I get the bed wood in the truck and bolted together I will be able to build some brakets and weld them on just to support the back end of the bed to the frame rails. If anyone has some pictures of the underneath side of their Fleetside bed and how it attaches in the back it would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

JRBECK64
JRBECK64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #2
47guy

Re: Rear frame supports on a SHORTWIDE BED???

do you have any pics of what your dealing with? the way im understanding it is someone cut up the rear cross sill is that correct? if so Mar-k has them for 125.00 you can look at their web site and see a picture of what its supposed to look like. hope this helps.
47guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #3
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

he's talking about the bed mounts. I think they are the same but dont quote me. Jason at SD makes some that bold in www.***************** But they are easy to make.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:04 AM   #4
JRBECK64

Here is a couple of pictures of the back of the bed so it will make my problem a little more clear. Unless the picture taker was shaking when he was taking the photos.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
65Custom

I believe that the rear frame of the 60 to 62 were wider so looks like that rear cross seal is from an earlier model but as 47 guy says you can get a correct replacement with the right tabs that will mount to the frame from mar-k or lmc trucks
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:23 AM   #6
ruffrida2005
Member of the longbed union.

well I guess I was wrong, Yeah i would hit up Mar-K, MGBMike, or classic enterprise.

88 GMC Crew Cab dually, 454/T400

64 LWB 400 HP 350/350T Bagged, under construction! Sold most of it!

92 S10 Iron Duke 5 speed, 5/7 drop for now. soon to be bagged. Sold http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...59#post4637759
ruffrida2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 AM   #7
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Here are a couple photos that miht help. They are of my 65 SWB Step.

The remnants of the brackets on your cross sill looks like the same mounts. I ended up welding my brackets to the rear frame rail because they were stress cracked and breaking away. From the factory they are made from sheet metal, a small boxed sub-assembly.

On my Short-Step the mounts line right up with the rear frame rails. The pictures don't show this because I shortend the frame rails to allow clearance for a rear roll pan.

Unless you are going for a restoration quality appearance you could make your own brackets out of some structural steel angle or square tube. Like I said previously, the factory mount is pretty wimpy and prone to cracking.

Hope these help.
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 10-11-2009 at 07:29 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
Oklahoma

Thats a nice looking tank, whats it out of? If you dont mind me asking.
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
Here are a couple photos that miht help. They are of my 65 SWB Step.

The remnants of the brackets on your cross sill looks like the same mounts. I ended up welding my brackets to the rear frame rail because they were stress cracked and breaking away. From the factory they are made from sheet metal, a small boxed sub-assembly.

On my Short-Step the mounts line right up with the rear frame rails. The pictures don't show this because I shortend the frame rails to allow clearance for a rear roll pan.

Unless you are going for a restoration quality appearance you could make your own brackets out of some structural steel angle or square tube. Like I said previously, the factory mount is pretty wimpy and prone to cracking.

Hope these help.
Thanks for the info and the help with my question. I know that this truck was hit in the back end by a cement truck somewhere in its 46 years of exhistance. So Im guessing that when that happened he must have switched the bed out with something else. So I wonder if this is going to effect where the mounting holes are for the wood bed??? This sounds like this could really turn into a nightmare. The SAGA continues.

JRBECK64
Old 10-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
LILRED66
Account Suspended

'60-'62 frame rails are the same width, regardless of stepside or fleetside beds, the same is true for '63-'66. The earlier frame rails are farther apart than the later years. It appears your bed, or at least the rear cross sill, was a '60-'62 and the frame is a '63-'66, therefore the rear cross sill frame perches were cut off, as evidence by the flanges still on the inner face of the rear cross sill.

I have seen a 2" x 2" square tube, approximately 4" long welded at the end to the inner face of the rear cross sill, to suffice for the rear cross sill frame perches. Also, you can drill the spot welds on a pair of factory rear cross sill frame rail perches and install them on your rear cross sill in the proper location.

Hopefully this information is helpful.
Attached Images

LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:45 PM   #11
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma View Post
Thats a nice looking tank, whats it out of? If you dont mind me asking.
I don't mind at all . It's a '49-'52 Chevy passenger car gas tank. My build thread, listed below in my signature line, has more details.

If you have any questions just post'em up.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 10-11-2009 at 04:46 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #12
JRBECK64

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
'60-'62 frame rails are the same width, regardless of stepside or fleetside beds, the same is true for '63-'66. The earlier frame rails are farther apart than the later years. It appears your bed, or at least the rear cross sill, was a '60-'62 and the frame is a '63-'66, therefore the rear cross sill frame perches were cut off, as evidence by the flanges still on the inner face of the rear cross sill.

I have seen a 2" x 2" square tube, approximately 4" long welded at the end to the inner face of the rear cross sill, to suffice for the rear cross sill frame perches. Also, you can drill the spot welds on a pair of factory rear cross sill frame rail perches and install them on your rear cross sill in the proper location.

Hopefully this information is helpful.
LILRED66,
Thanks again for the info. I kind of lucked out today as I noticed the pads on the crossmembers were not lining up on the bed. I recently purchased some used crossmembers and they are the correct ones. My Son wire brushed them and painted them with POR15 today. Now all we have to do is remove the crossmembers that are currently on the bed and replace them with the new ones.

JRBECK64