The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
John Pasinski

Oil pressure too high?

I'll try and be brief (which is pretty much impossible for me). I had an experienced mechanic (not me of course) overhaul my 402. When I bought the truck, it sat for 8 years with a disintegrating piston, and clogged oil pump sump (piston pieces). Well, a new crank & bearings, replacement piston, new rings, new oil pump, new lifters later, and now the oil pressure guage is almost pegged over to the high side when running under a load, and just below that at an idle. I was told that's way too high for a chevy, and there must be a blockage somewhere. Well I asked him how he cleaned the engine. I was told he put the block in a hot tank for two separate 2 hour cleanings. After that he used air to clean out every passage, and bolt hole. My questions: Is my pressure too high? If it is, can I find the blockage and open it up w/o pulling the engine and disassembling it? BTW; when it idles, all the valve rockers are getting oil except two of them. The #5 exhaust, and the #1 intake. I'm hoping that's caused by the cam which I may have ruined cause I didn't break it in properly. So I bought a new RV cam & lifters. But I'm waiting to install till I hear from you guys. Any suggestions?
John Pasinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
JMac11

Re: Oil pressure too high?

You have got a mess. Back off the rockers not oiling, sometimes that will let the oil "burp" out. It will not run long without oil coming out of eah rocker. You may have a clogged pushrod or the end of the rocker may be clogged. Fix that before you do anything else.
JMac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
John Pasinski

Yeah I figured I'm in trouble. The first thing I checked were the push rods, rockers, & rocker swivels for blockages. All are clean as a whistle. I forgot to mention, I originally suspected the (2) lifters were defective. NAPA swapped 'em out for me. Still no oil on those same lifters, & high pressure.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #4
toddtheodd
The oddest Todd around

What weight oil are you running?
Get an engine oil primer, and use it to push the oil around to figure out the lifter problem instead of running the motor and potentially creating a bigger problem.
I just finished building a 355, and my #2 exhaust rocker wasn't getting any oil. I pulled the rocker back off, and pulled the push rod out to make sure there wasn't a blockage. Then I put the push rod back in without the rocker, and using the primer, made sure oil was at least coming out of the push rod. After that, I put the rocker back on, and made sure oil was coming out of it. So that is something you can try. The Oil Primer thingy is only like $15 at Summit, and should be in everybody's toolbox that is really digging into their motors.
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." Ghengis Khan

IIOY???
toddtheodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
1968SWBBigBlock

when using an oil primer on a big block you will need to run the primer for a bit - if you do not have oil at all rockers turn the crank and continue the process, it may take a couple of full rotations to get the oil to push out.
What makes you think you wiped the cam shaft?
Lunati 60204 cam, Micro Trol lifters,
Ported Edelbrock Performer Rpm manifold armor coated, Pertronix Triple Strike Ignition
Holley 770 Street Avenger carb,Headers armor coated
Built by Watson Ruppel Performance in Sarahsville Ohio.
Hardshift Tranny Built Turbo 350,TSI 10" 3000 stall
12 Bolt Eaton Posi 4.10 Richmond Gears moser axles
18.5" x 31" Hoosier Pro Street Radials
ET Classic 5 Wheels - polished
Power Steering, Power Brakes,Disc Brakes,Tach & Gauge Dash, Tilt,Factory Air (gone)
Custom Paint & Body Work

Special thanks to my wife, my son and my money tree
1968SWBBigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:03 AM   #6
John Pasinski

When I pulled the lifter (that wasn't pumping), it was cupped out about 3/16"!
So I pulled the cam, and lo & behold the 2 or 3 lobes were obviously really bad, and others questionable. Several of the other lifters wre cupped also. I'm going to try and get a hold of a priming tool, and see how the pump is working w/o the cam installed. Then I guess I'll have to install the new cam & lifters and again try the priming tool to see if all rockers are getting oil.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pasinski View Post
When I pulled the lifter it was cupped about 3/16"! I'm going to try and get a hold of a priming tool, and see how the pump is working w/o the cam installed.
If you have one cupped that badly and visible damage to the cam.....it needs to be pulled out and completely disassembled again. There has been enough trash go through the motor to have coated everything in a fine metalic film.
It may or may not have been the cleaning process. It could have come from the initial start-up. If it didn't start quickly (a lot of cranking) you may have wiped the cam right then.

BTW, you are never going to get oil pressure with the cam out of the block. The cam's bearings are pressure oiled through passages in the block as are the lifters. If those parts are not there, you have a huge internal "leak".

It is very possible that your high pressure problems stem from the cam bearings. The holes in the bearings need to be aligned with the ones in the block. There could also be some piece of junk floating around in there from something else.

As far as "too much" oil pressure....sure. There is a point at which "more" doesn't help anything, and it becomes a liability. Not only does this extra pressure add to the load on the distributor, cam, and timing chain, it is just more for the seals to have to contain. Beyond about 10PSI per 1000 RPM you have overkill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
John Pasinski

Thank you sir! You have been the biggest help so far. Your advice makes a lot of sense. BTW....I attempted to put a wire through the cam bearing oil ports. It felt like it was hitting the block. To which "clock position" should those ports be alligned? They are at the 6:00 position now.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
John Pasinski

OK......Here's the next butterfly I'm chasing. I got a suggestion that this distributor may not be the correct unit for my 402. If not, then it may cause the oil pressure to by-pass the distributor bushings, and not reach the top of the engine. Does anyone know what part number should be stamped on the distrib? The numbers on mine are: 1112064 2C7
Old 10-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #10
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Your dist. is correct for a 71-72 402. truck.
Eric
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #11
John Pasinski

Thank you sir.............back to the drawing board.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
1970 Bowtie
It's all in the timing

John,If you dont mind me asking,who in orlando overhauled your engine?
1970 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
John Pasinski

I'll send a P/M if you don't mind....
Old 10-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
1970 Bowtie
It's all in the timing

I dont mind,send away.
1970 Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
brad_man_72
the boat guy

one time i had high oil pressure, aparently it was a spun main bearing. the crankshaft soon came out in 3 pieces. time for a teardown.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote