The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
53GMC

Smile Dash, Steering, and Pedals removal for S10 Swap..

hey everyone! good to talk to everyone again.....project Ol' Blue is comin along nicely just taking it a little time here and there.....im in teardown mode of my S10 and need some advice on how to remove a few items from the S10 for the Swap....

I am tearing down a 1996 S-10 4WD V6 Vortec.......got the front components such as fenders, hood, bumper all off and a tear down on inside has begun with seats out interal devices disconnected, etc.

now i come to the dash removal to get to all the connections behind it, removal of the steering column and pedal removal......any suggestions on those three? im a first timer so figuring out a lot of this stuff takes a good deal of time often.....any help to speed my process up would be most appreciated!!

53GMC
53GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
BlueJeep

Re: Dash, Steering, and Pedals removal for S10 Swap..

You're better off to get a brake pedal out of an old body style s10. The 96 has the integral mount, which is not easily removeable. The pushrod is also different, so I'd get the pedal and booster out of an older s10. That's exactly what I did, since my s10 donor was a 95.

I did the same for the steering column. These are why I determined the newer body style s10's aren't as good of a donor.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
53GMC

Thanks Blue Jeep.....so just install an older brake booster and brake pedal and it'll mount up pretty well?

And you got an older steering column too? that will work with a 96 power steering setup?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #4
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53GMC View Post
Thanks Blue Jeep.....so just install an older brake booster and brake pedal and it'll mount up pretty well?

And you got an older steering column too? that will work with a 96 power steering setup?
Yes, and Yes. You'll have to build a custom intermediate shaft to go from the column to the box, but you'd have to do that anyway. It's just a saginaw box, same as lots of other vehicles so your junkyard options (or catalog options) are wide open for hooking that up.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #5
53GMC

Thank you again Blue Jeep!

The pedal setups just scare me because i'm learning as I go along and do not want to make too big of a mistake....any special type of booster or year model i need to look for to match up with my brake setup?

i believe i can do the steering column pretty easily.....i had planned on an intermediate shaft already so that wont be a problem...and thanks again!