The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
snowblind

Body Mounts

I couldn't find much info on these... Any reports on poly versus rubber? Any reports on the best vendor/supplier?

Best regards,
Matt Crawley
1972 GMC Jimmy
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Jagermeister

Re: Body Mounts

When I looked into replacing the body bushing on my '72 K5, the only vendor I found for rubber bushings was LMC. Poly bushings are widely available, and it seemed that almost all of them were made by Energy Suspension and sold by different people. If you search around on the web you can find the poly bushings from Energy Suspension for about $100, with free shipping.

The "rep on the street" is that poly squeeks, and may be a stiffer ride, but gives better handling and lasts longer. Granted most of the comments I've read were about poly vs. rubber in cars. I doubt the Blazer's ride will ever be that soft (nor would I want it), and my bed squeeked like a house of bats, mainly because my old bushings were so shot the bottom of my bed was ridding directly on the frame rails!

So, I went with poly as more durable, and put in a 2" body lift from Performance Acessories at the same time (about another $100 from Amazon.com, if I recall). The Energy Suspension kit does NOT include new bolts, but the lift kit does, so by doing them both at the same time I got all new hardware as well. The PA lift kit bolts are all 1/2", so I had to drill out the mounting holes in the bed, but the ES bushings are already sized for 1/2", so they worked without any mods.

I can't really say much about the ride, because other repairs and mods have kept me from driving the Blazer much since I replaced the mounts. But I can say it looks really good with the extra 2" body lift. Oh, and I didn't have to cut and weld the shift linkage (even though the lift kit instructions said I would), because there was enough play in linkage to adapt.

That's my experience. Others may have a different take.
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
drunkbus

These Blazers ride so rough as it is, I doubt you would be able to tell a difference between rubber and poly body mounts. I know I didn't. I went with poly Energy Suspension mounts, the only reason being, I got a brand new set off Ebay for $45.
drunkbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
Burt4x4

I used Energy Susp. Poly. I bought the 'black' mounts that were discribed to be "impregnated" with polygraphite to prevent "poly" squeek.
The trick with poly mounts is not to overtighten them. You don't want to squeese the mount so hard that it bulges the poly as it won't allow it to flex. I used nylon lock nuts and just lightly snug them tight. It's been over 10yrs now with no issues to speek of.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkbus View Post
These Blazers ride so rough as it is, I doubt you would be able to tell a difference between rubber and poly body mounts.
Haha. Thanks for the perspective.

Matt
Old 10-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt4x4 View Post
The trick with poly mounts is not to overtighten them. You don't want to squeese the mount so hard that it bulges the poly as it won't allow it to flex. I used nylon lock nuts and just lightly snug them tight. It's been over 10yrs now with no issues to speek of.
This is great advice. Thanks.

Matt
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #7
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

Poly may last longer!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:48 AM   #8
vtblazer

Rubber stock style mounts are all I'll ever use, much better fit-n-finish IMO.

As for lasting longer...the stock mounts lasted over 30 years.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
drunkbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Rubber stock style mounts are all I'll ever use, much better fit-n-finish IMO.

As for lasting longer...the stock mounts lasted over 30 years.
I don't know about "lasted over 30 years" more like they were in there for over 30 years before someone replaced them. I know there wasn't much left of my rubber ones after 37 years.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
vtblazer

Quote:
I don't know about "lasted over 30 years" more like they were in there for over 30 years before someone replaced them. I know there wasn't much left of my rubber ones after 37 years.

Let us know how those poly's work out for you in 37 years...would ya.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #11
drunkbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtblazer View Post
Let us know how those poly's work out for you in 37 years...would ya.
I'm just saying the rubber ones were still there but probably should have been replaced 20 years ago. I don't think the rubber ones have as long of a serviceable life as the poly ones will. I guess the point I was trying to make was that just because they are still in there doesn't mean they are still doing there job. Update coming in 2046, stay tuned.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
vtblazer

Quote:
I'm just saying the rubber ones were still there but probably should have been replaced 20 years ago. I don't think the rubber ones have as long of a serviceable life as the poly ones will. I guess the point I was trying to make was that just because they are still in there doesn't mean they are still doing there job. Update coming in 2046, stay tuned.

Yeah, got that...was just bustin' on ya.

Although, I've pulled out more than a few sets of original body mounts that were still valid & in excellent shape...go figure.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #13
bigdon-70blazer

I used the rubber ones from LMC and I torqued them down per the chassis manual. They really looked squashed down but seemed to torque down alright with patience. Is that what you are supposed to do?
bigdon-70blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:55 AM   #14
rads42

Okay, so it seems like there are a lot of guys here who have changed body mounts. How difficult is it? I did a set in my '65 Chevelle and it was torture. Did GM learn anything about captive nuts in 6 years or should I expect the same amount of hassle in my '71 Blazer? As for the longevity of the originals, I have some that look pretty good but the ones near the rear of the truck are gone...

Thanks
rads42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:21 PM   #15
Burt4x4

No, they will be a PIA still, I assume

I was "sort of" lucky when I did mine cuz only 5 out of the 12 mounts were still bolted down

I swapped mine in a few months after I bought my K5 and that was 1993, so 16years now...crap I'm getting old!!!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
Jagermeister

Mine were welded in. The bed bolts I ground off. The only real trouble I had was with the recessed heads for the two bolts in the cab floor.

In actuality, except for being welded, it was a breeze. Did the entire thing in about four hours. If you have a helper to hold the wrench up top (I used my daughter) and a stout wrench, you shouldn't have any problems.
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #17
Cap'n Hook
Workin to live...

I just bought my Jimmy with them already done!