The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
cparman
sharp as a marble

build thread // how to ?

I am about 10 bolts away from having the engine out of my Blazer, and promised my wife I would not get carried away. I lied. If someone would tell me how to set up a " THREAD "
I will take some pics, and share. The engine compartment clean up will be some powdercoating, a 330 hp crate motor, serp belt setup, some shiny stuff. Already has a 700r4.
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #2
jaros44sr

Re: build thread // how to ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparman View Post
I am about 10 bolts away from having the engine out of my Blazer, and promised my wife I would not get carried away. I lied. If someone would tell me how to set up a " THREAD "
I will take some pics, and share. The engine compartment clean up will be some powdercoating, a 330 hp crate motor, serp belt setup, some shiny stuff. Already has a 700r4.
Same way ya just posted up...Give it a name or pick a title!

Don't forget to post up lots and lots of pics, I for one would like to see what it is your building. Don't get carried away and start taking it all apart

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
vtblazer

Quote:

You just did.

Like J said, just post up with the title of your choice.

Will this be a winter project or a 'quickie' ?
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
cparman
sharp as a marble

A quickie? Slower than dad gum molasses, was how I was described by a couple of my friends/customers. I have too many paying projects to be timely with my own. Bought the Blazer last October, bought the motor in May. Told a couple of my guys that i should be done by August. See what I mean. I made my hobby my job, and I do truly enjoy working on an older car much much more than having a scan tool in my hand and looking at an issue with a late model car.
The satisfaction of the end result is thrilling to me. I have committed to the homecomming parade in mid November where my daughter goes to high school. Need to get busy. I will take some pics tomorrow night. I have to apologize to JARRO. been wrenchin already
Old 09-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
cparman
sharp as a marble

glass beaded the exhaust manifolds, and built my spark plug wires for the new motor. Cleaned the distributor, and replaced everything inside it with AC DELCO parts. here are a couple of pics of the manifolds and the new motor. When I get up from my SAT. afternoon nap, I will shoot a couple of pics of the engine compartment and post. I am going to have the motor all but out before i take it to my shop. I will remove the inner fender panels, and have them powder coated gloss black. Before I install the new engine I am going to pressure wash everything I can get to and generally clean up a bit. Should pull the engine next Saturday, and IF all goes well put the new one in the following day. I have ordered all new wiring from M&H Wire fabricators for the engine compartment. The upgrades to the wiring are, HEI,electric choke, CS130 alternator, and relayed/updated wiring to the headlights. I do not expect to see this until early OCT. more later
Attached Images

Last edited by cparman; 09-19-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
cparman
sharp as a marble

OK, so I took the other picture BEFORE the nap
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
cparman
sharp as a marble

Well I did not take a bunch of pics thru the process like i had wanted to, but we are so busy at work, that I wanted to get the Blazer in and out of my shop. Took it to work 3 Fridays ago, and drove it home the Sunday after. I only had a couple of bolts holding the motor in when I towed it to the shop. My guys helped me pull the hood, and about 20 minutes later The old engine was out. I have powder coated all of the stuff I removed. I received the wiring harness this week, and installed it. M&H wiring harness people are great. I had one question about the harness, called them, gave them the order number, and got an answer in just a couple of minutes. Put about 50 miles on the Blazer today, and am very happy with my decisions.

Last edited by cparman; 10-17-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
cparman
sharp as a marble

do not see the manage attachments box below this, or There would be pictures HELP!

Last edited by cparman; 10-17-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
jaros44sr

Where's the pics, we just can't take your word that a new engine is in there could still be on the engine stand

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-17-2009 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
cparman
sharp as a marble

JARO - DUDE, I promise I really did it. You can ask my Dog Miss Chloe Bell, She was with me this morning when I put the last piece on before the drive, I SWEAR!! I read here earlier that the management is working on some stuff, and I wont be able to post pics for a few more days. I SWEAR i DID IT. As soon as I can post pics I will gladly do so.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #11
jaros44sr

Quote:
JARO - DUDE, I promise I really did it. You can ask my Dog Miss Chloe Bell, She was with me this morning when I put the last piece on before the drive, I SWEAR!! I read here earlier that the management is working on some stuff, and I wont be able to post pics for a few more days. I SWEAR i DID IT. As soon as I can post pics I will gladly do so.
Alright, you sound like a fine upstanding man, we'll make an exception for you this one time

Gotta love the M&H stuff, I don't want to jinx myself, but so far everything has plugged into the factory connectors, minus the 3 mods. I made to the electric radiator fan, electric water pump, and the electric choke. Great customer service for the 4 months I was dealing with them, good group of smart guys

Paint job looks really sweet, can't wait to see the whole truck

Can Miss Chloe Bell type?lol

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-17-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #12
cparman
sharp as a marble

The paint is just ok in my opinion, but Miss Chloe Bell, she is about 1 semester away from finishing her stenographer course. OH did did I also tell you that my dog is bilingual? She speaks Cat ( she tells me they taste just like chicken ) boxer, mutt, spaniel. She is also the only one who hangs with me in the garage at home. She likes the music on my IPOD, my dog treats. Pics coming when I can.

I agree with your comments about M&H

Last edited by cparman; 10-17-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
cparman
sharp as a marble

ok, Jaro miss Chloe Bell says " here are the pictures Marine"
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #14
cparman
sharp as a marble

more pics
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Lookin' good cparman!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:53 PM   #16
cparman
sharp as a marble

Thanks 72, I got big boss to go to lunch with me yesterday in it. She ( the money lady ) and I went to have a burger. Got home to find an oil leak at the front crank seal. Pissed! Waited for it to cool down, and got the seal out. It looked to be leaking from around the outside of the seal. I assumed that I had cut the seal when installing the balancer ( have an install tool ) Put it back together tonight, but a friend came over, and DAMN, he talks more than I do. Will drive it tomorrow to see what is up. I really like my Blazer
Old 10-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #17
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Any pictures of the Blazer itself?

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #18
jaros44sr

Nice work, really looks good...did you hook up the pink wire to the electric choke on the positive or negative

Good luck on the oil leak

SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

Jim

Last edited by jaros44sr; 10-19-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #19
Thealien

Very nice, pictures were worth the wait!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:37 AM   #20
cparman
sharp as a marble

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaros44sr View Post
Nice work, really looks good...did you hook up the pink wire to the electric choke on the positive or negative

Good luck on the oil leak
That sounds like a trick question? Pink wire to + side, or at least the pink wire is where I ran 12v+ when 1st put the holley carb on.

the pics are from last October, just after i bought it. The outside has not changed that much since. I also have a 69 P/U that I drive alot. I am working on having two really nice drivers. The Blazer is going to get a new booster/master 9" this week to help clean up the engine compartment, am also going to replace the brakes at the wheels. If I get this done, and the weather is nice Saturday, I think it will be lunch in St augustine. 40 miles south
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2009, 05:21 PM   #21
cparman
sharp as a marble

two pics I took this afternoon
Attached Images