The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
mamato2

dash panels and new gauges

Hey - none of my gauges work except the speedo (and it's off), so i decided to replace the gauges and wiring this winter. I got the wiring harness, sending units and speedo cable. I ordered custom gauges from speedhut - they're custom designing white faced gauges with red flames and red pointers. They're backlighting the white with white and red with red - it's gonna look sick! Only thing is, is that my dash panel looks like junk. Right now, it has the original dash panel and I had put a brushed aluminum panel over it earlier this year. But the radio cutout looks like crap because the previous owner installed an aftermarket radio and just cut the plastic. I ordered a carbon fiber dash panel from an aftermarket company, but when I got it, i was totally let down. It looks like it belongs on a new car - not even close to classic looking. Plus it doesn't have the cutouts for the heater, turn signals or shift indicator. Hopefully I can return it and get a refund. I have looked in a few parts catalogs and brothers has the replacement dash panel in chrome or black (wishing i could find a red metal one). If i ordered just the replacement to what i have, would the gauges have to sit the same way? Currently, it has the recessed gauges, but my replacements mount flush with the panel. Does anyone know if replacement panels can mount the gauges like that, or do they require those recessed gauges? thanks!!
mamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
CreditGod

Re: dash panels and new gauges

please give us some pics of what you have it is too hard to tell what you have from your description
CreditGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
mamato2

I suck at computers, so I'm still trying to mess around with getting pics onto this site. Basically, if i buy an exact replica of the original dash panel for my 83 c10, will it only take the recessed gauges that originally came on that truck, or will it also work with gauges that have chrome bezels , so the gauges are flush instead of recessed? Also, while looking at a cataloug today, i noticed that they sell circuit boards to go with the dash panels. Are circuit boards specific to certain gauges? I was figuring i could just buy the gauges, dash panel and wiring and that would be all i need to replace the dash. Do all gauges need a circuit panel? If so, would the circuit panel from the original gauges be compatible with any gauges or am i going to need a special one? Thank you!!
mamato2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
pcmcobra

those speedhut gauges look nice, a lot of options, need some pics!

Miami...Flee it like a native
pcmcobra is offline   Reply With Quote