The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Oklahoma

Custom stereo's

I'm starting to work on the stereo system in my 62 and was wondering what type of systems you guys are running. Right now I'm looking at a Panisonic deck, 3 way Eclipse 6x9's one JL audio 8" sub with a KENWOOD KAC-6404 4-CHANNEL 500W amp. I will post pic's when it is all in and tell you how it sounds
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:00 PM   #2
Hillbilly Deluxe 65
Wheelin' and Dealin'

Re: Custom stereo's

i got a dual dvd/cd player a 10 inch shallow P3 rockford with a 760 watt amp, 2 6.5's up front in the kick panels and 2 6x9's in boxes behind the seat all 4 are sony xplods it actually sounds really good with only 4 speakers

12bolt w/ eaton tru-trac 4:11 gears

1BADD65
my build thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post2601700
Hillbilly Deluxe 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Northern lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma View Post
I'm starting to work on the stereo system in my 62 and was wondering what type of systems you guys are running.
I'm running stereo exhaust and am planning to install glasspacks to turn up the volume a bit.
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Me too. Pete Jackson gear drive, 4 speed manual trans, Flowtech mufflers on 2.5" exhaust with turn downs, and a steel cab with rubber floor mats. I did install a balance tube which eliminates droning, but at speed a radio is worthless.

If you're building a cruiser however, Rod & Custom October 2009 had an interesting article on various stealth technologies available. It's also available online at the following link. It might be worth a look.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...ars/index.html
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
muddpile

Kenwood USB deck
JL 6.5" Comps in kicks
Kicker 75x2 + 400x1 amp
Kicker TCVT12 sub

Takes up no space and sounds good.
muddpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #6
terd ferguson

I really like Pioneer decks. I have one now that has an ipod plug, usb port, and plays mp3's and data cd's. I use the data cd's the most because I can fit 200 songs on one cd. Just a couple of cd's and you've got music for days. The head unit is killer. It has grahics, wireless remote, and detachable face. It was around $300 last year, but I got it on clearance at WalMart for $150.

For speakers, I've got a pair of Pioneer's 4 way 6x9's and a pair Sony 6 1/2". The speakers aren't "top of the line", but almost. They sound awesome and it's loud enough to make your head hurt with no amp and no distortion.

Total cost for everything was under $400.

1955 2nd Series Chevy "King Of Trucks"
terd ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
glendale

this is what i did. the knob is where the choke would go. pretty stealth.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...highlight=ipod

Last edited by glendale; 10-16-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: forgot the link
glendale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Byronic
The Beach Cruiser

Subscribed. I like the radio less ipod.
1967 Schwinn Tandem Single Speed
Byronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #9
jgh64pkup
Sunburst C10!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Me too. Pete Jackson gear drive, 4 speed manual trans, Flowtech mufflers on 2.5" exhaust with turn downs, and a steel cab with rubber floor mats. I did install a balance tube which eliminates droning, but at speed a radio is worthless.

If you're building a cruiser however, Rod & Custom October 2009 had an interesting article on various stealth technologies available. It's also available online at the following link. It might be worth a look.

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...ars/index.html
i heard those suck ive never heard one but a guy i know said he had one in his mustang and it was all staticy and didnt sound good
Old 10-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
jbgroby

I'm going to have the stock radio gutted and modified with am/fm ipod input so I can look oem but hear decent sounds.

Jake
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #11
Joemomma1

Im running a Pioneer Premier deck w/ 2 Memphis PR 6x9s and 2 Memphis PR 12" woofers. If you go with Pioneer make sure its the Premier series. Friends and myself have had bad experiences w/ the regular Pioneer decks.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:19 AM   #12
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgroby View Post
I'm going to have the stock radio gutted and modified with am/fm ipod input so I can look oem but hear decent sounds.

Jake
I have had two factory AM radio head units modified to include AM/FM stereo with inputs for an iPod, MP3, etc. It was around $300.00 and the face is the exact factory faceplate.

Here is a link:

http://antiqueautomobileradio.com/

In the past, I invested over $800.00 in the Custom Autosound-USA 6, 10-disc changer, kick panel speakers and wiring...what a waste of money. The power is low, the clarity is poor, the signal strength is low and the CD changer skips, even with the factory recommended cushioning, from very slight bumps.

If you want a "true" factory appearance with the flexibility of modern technology, I go with the conversion for about the same money you would spend on a good, name-brand head unit.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #13
jbgroby

Tony.

Thats the company I'm going with. I've gotten great reports about them. The issue with the CC is a waste because the only place I could have put it is under the pass. seat and takes what little room we have to store a small fabric tool kit. I wear hearing aids in both ears AND REALLY appr. good quality sound. I bough an Ipod (big gig original version) and have well over a 900 songs on it everything from swing of the '40's to mondern tunes.

I created sub catagories to play when I'm in the mnoode for certain styles of music (pop, rock, swing, classical, mushy love songs - Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole), '50's, '60's etc.

I can get in the truck, start what type of music sets the mood and let her rip. I'll probally decide to put in the kick panel speakers to add to the sound, but have not decided as of yet. The dash will be a twin stereo speaker that thay make now.

Jake
Old 10-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Oklahoma

I installed the amp and 6x9's and they sound great. Hopefully tomarrow I will have the sub box painted and installed to see how it will sound. Thanks for the input guys
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #15
jbgroby

Where'd you hide it?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #16
ratskin

I installed the face only from a stock radio in the dash. The front seats in my 64 Suburban came from an 04 Nissan Quest with the DVD system, and a stereo head unit fit perfectly under the passenger seat where the DVD sat in the Nissan. It's handy to reach there, and the whole thing looks pretty stock.
Attached Images

ratskin is offline   Reply With Quote