The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Miotch20

Cash for Clunkers SUCKS!!!

I went to my and found a set of Vortec heads on a 1996 Suburban that was a cash for clunkers trade in. The SUV was stripped they took the whole interior the bumpers and so on. I knew the blocks were bad because they locked them down, but there is no reason why the heads should be bad. right? Either way I pulled them put them in the wheelbarrow and headed out with them. On the way out a guy pulls up on his golf cart and tells me that I can't buy them because its part of the drivetrain on a clunker and they can't sell me them. After we argued for a while I left the wheelbarrow and heads sittin in the middle of the road and left. There was another Yukon that was missing one head you can't tell me they didn't sell that. After I got home I read some of the bill and it states that they can sell anything but the drivetrain. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the drivetrain include the any engine parts, transmission, driveshaft , and rearend? The told me they were selling the trannys. So needless to say I was mad
Old 10-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
1964C10

Re: Cash for Clunkers SUCKS!!!

Well when it comes to warranties, I think car companies take the drivetrain to include only the stickers on the air cleaner! LOL

I do remember reading that they are not allowed to sell anything power/drive train related including the transmission, but then who is checking behind them to keep them honest...

My build thread
Looking for help on completing the Disc Brake Upgrade Reference Thread

If you didn't build it, you don't really own it
1964C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

The Pull a Part in Knoxville told me that on any of the C4C vehicles, that they drain them of oil and water- pour liquid glass in them and then re-start until they lock up. So anything that would be touched by oil would be unusable- sucks in my opinion.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I agree.... the cash for clunkers really sucks for those of us that are trying to rebuild and improve the vehicles that we have. I was surprised when I heard that there would be any parts sold off of them. I was under the impression that the transmissions and rear ends could be sold. My son inlaw told me that he saw a couple of 2000+ GM trucks that were traded in on that program that looked to be in nice condition. I just don't understand some peoples way of thinking.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
shortbed70

I don't understand about the rear end part of the drivetrain and or the engines in 99 or newer and what does a new trans hurt overdrive in a older vehicle???? I hope dealers dont get paid for the whole deal.

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
hill64step

That really sucks. I see you're in SC. What part?
Old 10-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #7
LEEVON

Why didn't they just make them salvage only vehicles? Who cares if the drivetrains were sold? They could just have stamped "cash for clunkers" on the title and that would have been the end, right?

The ironic thing about the whole deal was the "green" element. Any idea how many resources and carbon emissions it takes to create a new vehicle from raw materials? My guess is the same amount would keep an old vehicle on the road for many decades.

It was to sell cars, period. So why didn't they market it as such?
Old 10-18-2009, 03:03 PM   #8
Slow Build

The only good thing about the CFC program is that they didn't include classic cars and trucks.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
The only good thing about the CFC program is that they didn't include classic cars and trucks.
Not yet anyway, but you can bet vehicles of a certain age will be highly taxed and eventually banned from the roadways by the earth warmers.

Last edited by ol Curt; 10-18-2009 at 08:12 PM.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:20 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That is true....unfortunately

The current administration will surely be working towards eliminating all the older vehicles that we all here have, if they are allowed to do as they please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol Curt View Post
Not yet anyway, but you can bet vehicles of a certain age will be highly taxed and eventually banned from the roadways by the earth warmers.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
clunkin63

Interesting topic...... It was what I was thinking about when I formulated my user name. Cash for clunkers was an out and out mistake. There was no good to come of it. Tax payer money wasted to help people upgrade their cars and trucks when it wasn't necessary. Some of the vehicles that I have seen traded in, makes me truly sad. No old piece of equipment should go out like that.

I am waiting to see the backlash of repos that come in when people with true clunkers traded them in for big fat payments and insurance they couldn't afford 3 months later.... Remind you of anything......( housing market )

Ha, My first post on here... I guess I had to say something about this...
clunkin63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yep! I'm expecting to see this in a few months as well. The people that would benefit from getting up to $4500 for their vehicle most likely had that car because they couldn't afford a big payment on a new car. So when their new car gets repo'd they'll have to go get a old 'clunker' for transportation......Oh wait there aren't any old 'clunkers' to be found, they all got crushed

BTW welcome to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by clunkin63 View Post
Interesting topic...... It was what I was thinking about when I formulated my user name. Cash for clunkers was an out and out mistake. There was no good to come of it. Tax payer money wasted to help people upgrade their cars and trucks when it wasn't necessary. Some of the vehicles that I have seen traded in, makes me truly sad. No old piece of equipment should go out like that.

I am waiting to see the backlash of repos that come in when people with true clunkers traded them in for big fat payments and insurance they couldn't afford 3 months later.... Remind you of anything......( housing market )

Ha, My first post on here... I guess I had to say something about this...

Last edited by Captainfab; 10-21-2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
scotts62
One day...

Yeah Agreed... Some people are having a hard enough time paying their mortgages and then "Oh hey lets offer them money off to trade in their old car for a better fuel mileager.... bright idea if you ask me... I still have my "clunkers" and they are paid for, for the most part

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
scot 6 feet eleven

youre in luck i have the answers , i work at a 45 acre salvage yard we are getting 2000 of them, we can sell everything but the engines, we wont sell frames, or cabs with vins u can buy a cab clip top, but the vins on frames and cabs wont leave here.as for the motors the govt paid the dealers 3500-4500 for that to not be resold , a liquid glass solluiion was used , dumped in the mtr and ran till it was locked up, we can leave the sollution in the engine and crush it with it , was ok'd . we want to keep them sealed up and parts not removed as we dont want that stuff in the ground our in our oil burner heaters. we have 180 days from when they hit the ground to sell parts , we can remover parts and whs them , but at 180 days the hulk of whats left is getting crushed, the word drive train i think was used by politicians who know nothing about cars, its the engine aka power plant that cant be sold the rest can . peace out

scot
scot 6 feet eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Miotch20

Thanks for ya'lls inputs. I just got home from another junkyard and they said they would sell me the heads, so I think I pulled a set of Vortec heads for somebody else. I was pretty p!$$ed when I found out they could sell them. Oh well I'm going back tomorrow and pulling them.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #16
scotts62
One day...

Yeah if you find the right place or have the cash on hand you can still get the parts you need, well for now...

93 crew cab build
Project 62
scotts62 is offline   Reply With Quote