The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
Collisionstudent

In need of help

Hello My name is Steven and I really need all of your help. I'm going to school for Collision and we are working on a 72 GMC truck. The truck as been there longer then any student there and the teacher did not watch the tear down of the truck.

If you could I need all the diagrams for how the body goes back together. Pics would work as well and when I do a search for what Im looking for I cant find it. We did get the cab mounts figured out from this site (with the help of pics the new ones did not come with a diagram).

We are trying to get the front fenders on and wheel wells. All of the front is aftermarket stuff if you had to do things to them that would be helpfull as well. What we really need is good pics of the wheel wells mounted up how they are mounted things like that.

I also looked at the project logs and post. Found some nice trucks and just so you dont get mad thinking why should I help this guy out he does not even own the truck. I plan to one day my wife wants a early 50's and I would love to have a 68. When I get done with school and start making money I plan to buy one. So any thing I learn about these trucks now will just help me down the road.
Thanks
Steven
Collisionstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: In need of help

Steven,

Welcome to the 67-72 Chevy Truck Board from West Michigan!

The folks on this site are very helpful and it does not matter if you own a truck or not.

My suggestion would be to get an Assembly Manual as it will be very helpful. Check with the member vendors.

Also, there have been tons of pictures posted on this site so looking at old posts can be worthwhile.

Good luck in your project.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Steven,Welcome.There are really two areas of the board that should be very helpful.The FAQ's index(compiled by member "krue") will have tons of info indexed by topic.The other great feature is the search.You can look at the top of the page for it.Of course the body and paint section will probably intrest you also.Those areas should get you started,then just post up here with any specific questions and someone will try to answer.
As Jim said a factory assembly manual will help a lot.I'm assuming the instructor does know more than he's letting on,but part of what you are learning is to do the research.These trucks are dead simple but do have a few quirks.Good luck and post pics of your progress "We's pic ho's here!"
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 10-23-2009 at 05:55 AM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
jamesi20

You might want to look at this catalog also as it contains some very good photos. http://www.lmctruck.com/
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
As far as the front end goes the inner panels go in last. Do not tighten up any of the bolts until you have them all started. You will have to line up some of the holes with a punch or similar tool to be able to get the bolts in. If you do not have the heater box and blower motor mounted to the outside of the firewall that has to be done before the inner panels are installed.
The assembly manual would be great but they are kind of expensive. The LMC catalog is a good source of info and would probably help a lot.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
rambler
MOVE OVER

welcome to the board, all the above are excellent suggestions, also check out the build sections, as there are great rides there to compare, and of course, post some pics of the parts, and if you get stuck, many of us will jump in and offer advice. also post of the regional page, you may even luck out and have a board member ( or members) stop by and give you a hand!
Old 10-24-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

I think that everyone here has already given you all the advice you'll need so I just want to say to the board from Lake County California!

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #8
Collisionstudent

Yep so far might be back with more. Well I do have one more is it better to put the doors on first then fenders or does it matter I feel before fenders.

Thanks
Steven
Collisionstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
MT71c-10
Too many toys,not enough money

That LMC catalog has helped me take things apart, put others back together, and figure out how things work. Great garage book.

It may help to get the doors square 1st, then hang fenders. It will save time aligning everything.

I don't think it would matter if you hung doors 1st or fenders, that cab is solid, if you hang fenders 1st, it's not going to pull anything out of square.

My vote doors 1st.

Last edited by MT71c-10; 10-24-2009 at 09:27 PM.
MT71c-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
oldcarfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collisionstudent View Post
Yep so far might be back with more. Well I do have one more is it better to put the doors on first then fenders or does it matter I feel before fenders.

Thanks
Steven
I do the cab and doors first (shim cab to frame for door gaps, etc) then hood (gap to cowl), then fenders gap to hood and cab) and you can use a "yardstick" or paint stir sticks for gap "go/no go" gauging. Good Luck!
oldcarfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
Fitz
Account Suspended

The factory assembly manual is still available. Try Motorbooks.com
Attached Images

Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #12
highperf4x4
Account Suspended

Factory Assmbly manual 40.00

Shop Manual 25.00

http://www.heavychevy.com/html/manuals.html

Last edited by highperf4x4; 10-25-2009 at 12:11 AM.
highperf4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:28 AM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

You want to align your doors first. You can't adjust the hinges (at least not easily) with the fenders on. Get the doors gapped and square with the back of the cab and the rocker (remove the door strikers until the door is gapped, then install the strikers). I then hang my outer fenders and align them with the doors. I then install the grill, then you can get the hood on and loosely aligned with the fenders and grill, then I install the cowl, then you can do your final alignment with the hood. You may have to go back and adjust areas if need be. Inner fenders should be last. I loosely bolt them on, then snug them up around the wheel well, then snug up the other bolts.

A couple notes of caution... The aftermarket stuff in general does not fit "out of the box." On my truck I had to enlarge some holes, some a good bit, to get a good fit from my fenders. The factory also used body shims to push fenders, etc, out for alignment. It's a pain in the butt and time consuming, but if I could get a nice alignment on my truck, anyone can do it.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 10-25-2009 at 12:28 AM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote