The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-27-2009, 03:13 AM   #1
mclairmo

Wish list for pick a part

I am heading to the pick a part for some stuff for my 68 C10 truck as well as for rare stuff to possibly resell. My list of parts that would be good to pull and resell is as follows, please add to it:

1. OEM Tow Hooks
2. Tach Dash
3. Tilt Column, truck or van
4. Big Block engine frame mounts
5. TH400 kickdown switch/bracket

Also, what single part is considered the holy grail of 67-72 parts if you find it in the pick a part yard?
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #2
1956cameo

Re: Wish list for pick a part

For us suburban guys one holy grail piece would be a completely rust free upper hatch.

Other parts to add to your list would be:

AM/FM Radio
Factory Bucket Seats
Any Factory Big Block Parts
A dent free and rust free tailgate
Posi rear ends
Factory bedside toolbox door and box (Especially the door if rust free)

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry

Last edited by 1956cameo; 10-27-2009 at 05:43 AM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
cdowns

i like ti look under the seats maybe find a huge wad of hundred dollar bills just spiders sofar
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Elephanthead

292 power steering brackets and thermostat housings.
Elephanthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
windmill

if you go to b/ham in alabama they are nothing except a set of high back buckets in a 78 chevy truck. i'm going to atlanta south this weekend.
1966 mustang getting a l33 ls motor
1969 chevy dump truck
1989 mustang 6.0 ls best time of 1.29 at 5.91
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtbooZoGZmQ
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
rscam

I hate to burst your bubble. But, all th PAP yards are stripped of everything valuble. I go to the 3 in Atlanta every week. If they don't happen to sit the car down in front of you then it will be stripped in a day. I have been selling parts on Ebay for a few years and I see this every time I go. It is very very rare to get anything of value in an older car or truck.
rscam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscam View Post
I hate to burst your bubble. But, all th PAP yards are stripped of everything valuble. I go to the 3 in Atlanta every week. If they don't happen to sit the car down in front of you then it will be stripped in a day. I have been selling parts on Ebay for a few years and I see this every time I go. It is very very rare to get anything of value in an older car or truck.
Yeah, it's been years since I've been to one but when I was going a lot (in the late 80's to early 90's) I would see these 67-72 trucks everywhere in the yard. Would even see old Mustangs and Camaros every once in awhile. You are probably right about nto finding anything nowadays. I also know that high volume buyers can have the yard pull rare parts before they even make it to the yard. I could never find a front disc conversion for my 67 Camaro because of that. I would see cars that formerly had discs in the front being forklifted down right in front of me with the whole front disc set up already gone. PAP Bastards. I finally had to go to Memory Lane in Sun Valley, CA to get what I needed, but it was not cheap at all. On the bright side, these trucks in rust free condition are a dime a dozen here. I'll give it a shot and see what I find. Wish me luck.

Last edited by mclairmo; 10-27-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
For us suburban guys one holy grail piece would be a completely rust free upper hatch.

Other parts to add to your list would be:

AM/FM Radio
Factory Bucket Seats
Any Factory Big Block Parts
A dent free and rust free tailgate
Posi rear ends
Factory bedside toolbox door and box (Especially the door if rust free)
Dent and rust free tailgates are not that hard to find around here. I see them (and have bought several) for between $150 to $200. Bought one for $150 that looked like an early take off. No dents and no rust. Sold it for $200 but regret it now. Bought it from a mentally challenged guy, not joking at all. He was real nice, though. Bought another for $150 that included the 69-72 band in perfect shape, except the woodgrain was lone gone. Has no rust at all and only one small dent.
Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #9
leddzepp

Good luck. You used to be able to find a lot of stuff. If you find a truck there, it usually has rust free sheet metal but no extra goodies. I got lucky finding a tach/vac dash from a C/40 in the boneyard a while back. I restored it and put it in my now project vehicle. Best I came across in a yard was a loaded 72 camper 3/4 ton. Had AM/FM, buckets, tach, tilt, BB, A/C, P/S. You can find these optioned trucks still...just not at the boneyard, more like in peoples backyards Lots of folks in my area and the small communities surrounding it are lifelong residents going back to the 50's and have kept all their stuff. Camping was very popular in the 70's and there are still highly optioned camper trucks hiding in garages here. I have been watching one of our loaded trucks for a while (and its NOT a 3/4 ton longbed ) hiding in a backyard in a city nearby, and just waiting for the right circumstances to pick it up This one will not be parted out either...My wife has given the green light with a few conditions Some of those conditions look like they might get met soon. That one you found on CL a while back was packed with goodies for a great price.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #10
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
That one you found on CL a while back was packed with goodies for a great price.
Funny how some ripped me for posting too many CL ads. Thanks for the update on the current state of PAP yards here in SoCal. I guess I'm out of touch. I'll check them out here and see what they have, if anything. Hopefully, San Diego has less competition for parts off these trucks and I'll get lucky.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
mbgmike

Good luck finding anything. A lot of people don't know it but Companies like Greenleaf own steel mills. They are in the auto Recycling business. They also own Pick-u-parts.
They aquire a vehicle strip off the saleable stuff. Put the rest in Pick u part. when the vultures are through they send the rest to the steel mill. Thats why you can't get much good stuff. Its all gone.Greenleaf was the second largest in the USA. Last Week LKQ bought them up.
If it's a small local part place you may find some good stuff and some do put the older stuff aside but its really a hit or miss and they charge too much for junk. Good Luck, You never know what you may find.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #12
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Add suburban spare wheel wells to your list.I don't think I've ever seen a good one.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
1956cameo

I have seen plenty of tailgates that are rust free here in TX also. Very hard to find them here that are dent free however. I can tell you now that if you can get completely perfect tailgates all day long in So Cal then you should buy them all and sell them to the rest of us. You will make ALOT of money. I say this only because you asked what parts you should buy for resale!

'72 blazer 2wd build

67-72 Factory Big Block Registry

Last edited by 1956cameo; 10-27-2009 at 08:12 PM.
1956cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #14
Pont406

Pick a part does get some old stuff but it goes very fast. Scavengers get them before the weekend.
Attached Images

Pont406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:16 AM   #15
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1956cameo View Post
I have seen plenty of tailgates that are rust free here in TX also. Very hard to find them here that are dent free however. I can tell you now that if you can get completely perfect tailgates all day long in So Cal then you should buy them all and sell them to the rest of us. You will make ALOT of money. I say this only because you asked what parts you should buy for resale!
I did not claim I see them "completely perfect all day long" but they do show up every once in a while. I've seen more than a few. Would cost too much to ship them, though, IMO.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #16
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

a good tailgate and hatch with no rust... it is not possible to cost too much to ship them. They are worth that much to us over here.
TH400 kickdown switches from 71 - 90 are a dime a dozen... 70 and older, don't even bother holding your breath. Even if you find one, you won't know if it works (most likelly not)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote