The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #5
BigE77'

Re: Fuel guage suddenly reading 1/2 empty with a full tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Bob View Post
Guys what you may be seeing is the effect that sulfur in the fuel has on the resistor in the tank. Cheap gas is high in sulfur try adding techron to a few tanks and see if it clears up. Here is a copy of a post from a Corvette Forum where there have been a lot of these issues

#1 cause sulfur build up on the sending unit from using gas with insufficient detergent package....
Use a good fuel system cleaner like Techron fuel system cleaner ( NOT the injector cleaner) , Seafoam.
Berrymans Chemtool B-12, Valvoline Synpower fuel system cleaner for a coule tank fulls and switch to a top tier gasoline www.toptiergas.com

#2. corroded ground for the sending unit
#3. bad sending unit
I recently rebuilt the motor and the fuel guages worked prior to pulling the motor. After install they quit working, I must have pinced or moved a wire or something.....I have only been running 93 since the rebuild...Sometimes things show up at the stranges times though it could just be a coincedence, and be residual crud from previous cheap gas..im not leaving anything out of the equation
77 Scottsdale,.454 .30 over, 10:1 flat top pistons, 480 lift comp cam, 781 heads stock valve size, some no name polished aluminumn dual plane intake advised by my machine shop to match the cam(He said is was great lol) Holley 750 vac sec, Turbo 400 built raybestos clutches and Kolene steels, Eaton Posi 3:73 14 bolt
BigE77' is offline   Reply With Quote