The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
project_77

welp.....got it back together and then........

Got the new tranny back in, with new driveshaft, thornebeck bros tranny crossmember, new torque converter,

It ran good and shifted just fine, so I decided to drive it home Friday evening,

http://sites.google.com/site/project77site/home/page-7

I was in the left hand lane, next to the HOV lane, there was a car just sitting in the lane, people where having to dodge left/right to miss them, when I realized what was going to happen, I looked to see if I could get over and I couldn't, so I just braced for impact.

As of yet, I have not received a citation or have been charged with the accident.

My question, is it fixable?
project_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
umbra

Re: welp.....got it back together and then........

YIKES! I'm glad to see you are ok and posting here after that! As most gearheads will say...anything is fixable with a hammer, a torch, and some gumption...

Last edited by umbra; 11-02-2009 at 04:05 PM.
umbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:12 PM   #3
pcwillsie

well i guess anything is fixable but the question is how extensive is the frame damage and cab damage? And would it be cheaper to start over and salvage what parts you can off of it? Sorry for your loss and glad you are still around.
pcwillsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #4
Trucker_Eric

yeah its fixable if you love the truck and the frame isnt bent or broken, you should be ok, just gotta make sure it didnt damage the frame or expensive parts of the egnine, block, heads, etc, and ur gonna need a whole new front end, good luck. if you love the truck, do it, if you dont love the truck, can i have the bed? lol

"the best thing to hold onto in life is each other."
Trucker_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #5
Damien

Your going to need to have the front rails pulled and a new front clip. Radiator, water pump, fan, ect. There is probably damage to the passenger side door too that will need to be fixed or replaced.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Pyrotechnic

Looks similar to my truck old truck. A guy swerved into my lane and hit me head on. The passenger side frame horn was compressed into an accordion. The rest of the frame wasn't bad, but the gap between the bed and the cab were not equal distance apart on both sides anymore so it was slightly tweaked. The fender had also bent the door and it's mounting point on the cab so it didn't close or open right.

Because of the frame damage and the rust on the rest of the truck we decided it was best to strip off all the good parts and our investments and start over with a different truck.

Hope everything works out for you and that by some means you can start having fun again.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

if the the rest of the frame isnt broken or bent then yes it its fixebel

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

WOW, That's a shame.....

Judging by the position of the front tires that frame appears to be bent pretty badly, Myself I'd call it a parts truck and swap what's good to another.

Glad to hear no one was hurt !
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Restrorob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
okndnx

that would have pissed me off
okndnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:48 AM   #10
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

From my experience & training, I say start over. You are going to have WAY more $$ invested in making that one right again then you would in picking up another truck and swapping your good stuff over. You look to have some pretty heavy frame damage, all the body stuff mentioned and then some (firewall, floor, pillars), as well as some suspension work to be done too. The frame, suspension, and mechanical are the ones the add up quick when you try to fix hard hits like yours. I like your little site there. Kinda cool.
--->And keep in mind...Having to put more into something than it is worth is the definition of totaled.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.

Last edited by Driveway Dreams; 11-03-2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: cool site
Driveway Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 02:46 AM   #11
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

again, scalp what you can and dump it. that much damage for a truck that is so easy to find just isnt worth the cost or effort.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #12
DBLSPRT68

I'd say start with another truck also. That one could have some parts to swap. Sorry about your truck, but at least your OK! What happened to your TCI tranny? How did the case crack like that??
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
BigE77'

Man, I would LOVE/HATE to see what you did to the other car....Ive been in a wreck in a similar truck and I smeared the front end of a dodge dynasty over the windshield and still drove my truck to the side of the road.....These things are tanks....is there anything left of the other car or did it just evaporate into molecules.....Glad to see your alright man.......I agree with the general consensus here get yourself a good foundation and steal as much as you can
77 Scottsdale,.454 .30 over, 10:1 flat top pistons, 480 lift comp cam, 781 heads stock valve size, some no name polished aluminumn dual plane intake advised by my machine shop to match the cam(He said is was great lol) Holley 750 vac sec, Turbo 400 built raybestos clutches and Kolene steels, Eaton Posi 3:73 14 bolt
BigE77' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
JW76

I was in a similar accident. A guy practically stopped on the highway because he missed his off ramp. The car behind him hit him and so on. I was seven cars back and by the time the guy in-font of me hit the brakes he had already hit so I nailed him. It bent my frame rails and killed the nose of the truck and the fan went through the radiator. I sent it to a shop to have the frame straightened. It cost $800. Then I bought a complete nose for $200. The radiator new was $275. Then I needed two batteries and and new front tires. In the end i was around $1600 or so. Truck was a dump truck in great shape so I fixed it. Good luck
JW76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #15
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

From what I see the frame is bent, the entire front clip is junk, drivers door is toast. I'll guess that the cab is tweaked, and the passenger door is too.

So you have a good bed, rear axle, and rear bumper. I'm thinking you better start over.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

i hate to say this but that truck looks done.... you could prolly buy a frame and start over

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #17
dlanders

Was that pic taken on I-75 down by Georgia Tech?
dlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
74 C-30
Dually Pride

whats the matter?

.....that'll buff out

'74 Chevy C-30 350/4 speed/dually
'94 Ford Ranger
74 C-30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
From what I see the frame is bent, the entire front clip is junk, drivers door is toast. I'll guess that the cab is tweaked, and the passenger door is too.

So you have a good bed, rear axle, and rear bumper. I'm thinking you better start over.
I agree. Start over on another truck. Buy this one back from the insurance co and scavenge what you can that is any good.
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote