The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Murphy IRE

Rear drums on '71 K20

I have a floating axle. I have removed the axle shaft flange and now i'm trying to remove the outer lock ring. I bought a Napa spindle wrench (#2770) but it's not great. Any tricks to get it off, so that I can remove the drums. I trying to replace the wheel cylinders and get the drums turned.
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
independentcustoms

Re: Rear drums on '71 K20

That's strange, I took my C20 apart last night to do wheel cylinders! It's the first time I've worked on these heavier rear ends, I was expecting to pull the wheel off and slide off the drums. Not so much.

Anyway, I obviously didn't have the wrench needed, since I wasn't expecting that, but I simply used a hammer and a punch. Maybe it's not the recomended way, but worked fine for me.
independentcustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Eichorst69

Hammer and punch works fine!
Eichorst69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:30 PM   #4
haminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy IRE View Post
I have a floating axle. I have removed the axle shaft flange and now i'm trying to remove the outer lock ring. I bought a Napa spindle wrench (#2770) but it's not great. Any tricks to get it off, so that I can remove the drums. I trying to replace the wheel cylinders and get the drums turned.
There a couple different styles. One has nuts that look like huge nuts, they have a lock ring between the two with tabs that fold over the nuts. You will have to straighten th tabs before removing the nuts. Another style has nuts that have notches in them, you use a 4 wheel drive socket with the correct number of tangs to fit the notches. This style generally has a sort of snap ring on the spindle. Very easy to remove, then remove the square cut key in the spindle then remove the nuts. There are probibly other that would some variation of these. If you have a Dana axle the drums are removable by removing two slotted screws. The "corporate" axle you have to remove the hubs. Beware when getting new drums for the "corporate" axle, make sure they have adjustment holes in them. Hope this helps.
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #5
haminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy IRE View Post
I remembered something else. I have learned that brake size is normally determined by the axle not the suspension style as most parts books dictate. For example most Chevys are coil spring "corporate" rear ends and GMC's are leaf pring Dana 60 rear ends. My C-20 Chevy has leaf springs and a "corporate" rear, it uses "coil spring" sized brakes since that rear end in normally used for a coil spring application. My buddy's C-20 Chevy also has leaf springs but has a Dana rear end and uses the brake size dictated by leaf springs. I sure there are other variations but I beleive this is the general rule. Confused yet?
haminator is offline   Reply With Quote