The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
sshockr

What to do?

Well I have an interesting dilema.

Flattened the cam in my straight 6.

I can rebuild the 6, I have an entire donor 1995 Impala SS sitting in my garage with a good drivetrain but a bent frame, or sell everything (Truck included). I'll be spending the next few days putting together some solid cost analysis of my 3 options and will probably be needing help putting together what pieces would be required for the 6 cyl rebuild or the truck side of the LT1 equation.

I already know the LT1 very well as I have a LT1 with T56 in my 95 Caprice SS. Which I've torn down a couple times now.

Option 1: Rebuild; could be expensive, could not. It would require machine work and may not even be possible if I can't get the last 3 lifters out. Recommendations on parts?
Recommendations on things a fairly competent home mechanic shouldn't do?

Option 2: LT1; I have a complete LT1 95 Imp SS i bought the wreck so I could have the leather interior for my car. I had hoped to sell the parts but that is proving difficult with the availability of LS motors. I've had more luck selling B-Body specific parts such as ac lines and body moldings.

Mounting
Looks like the 6's engine mounts work just fine so a tranny crossmember is all that's need from the mounting department.

Driveshaft
Needs to be rebuilt as some near future point anyway. Can I just shorten the front of the stock one?

Cooling
Do I need an aftermarket radiator or can I adapt with some hose tomfoolery my stocker? The imp one is wrecked.

Wiring
This I have a pretty good grasp of. I also already do my own tuning on my car.

Exhaust
Stock manifolds and any competent exhaust shop should be able to fab up some pipes and mufflers. Right?

Fuel
This one strikes me as the most difficult. I'm going to have to run 2 lines obviously. Can a stock in-cab tank be modded to work or accept a basic aftermarket external pump or to I need to figure out someway of getting a fuel cell in the bed or under the bed in the rear or whatever?

Option 3: Sell Everything
Truck has much rust and needs some TLC. I currently have about $300 beyond purchase price tied-up in the truck.

So I'm curious, what would you guys do? I'll post some pics of the truck tomorrow. Would anybody even want a worn out flattened cam straight 6? Would anybody want a worn out field truck from Kansas? So many questions so few answers.

Sorry for the long read but typing it all out helps me figure this out so...

Thanks,
-Brian
sshockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
TheDark1
Intentionally Left Blank

Re: What to do?

Seems to me the answer lies in the post. You need a motor...you have an extra. The cooling should be fine with the old radiator. Stick in a fuel cell and a return line and let the rest fall into place. You'll have more in time than money and a beater with 300+ horsepower is just fun, especially on the highway. I'd roll with it.
2004 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2013 Jeep Wrangler (Sold)
2017 Jeep Wrangler (Blacked Out on 35's)
2011 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2015 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2018 GMC D-Max Dually Denali 3500HD (Sold)
2020 D-Max Dually Denali on 33x12.50's
1979 GMC Short Bed Step-Side 4x4 350/350 Low Miles
TheDark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I'd suggest it really depends on what you want to do with the finished truck. If it's going to be a hot rod or daily driver the later engine no doubt has more performance potential. On the other hand I've had several 235's over the years and found it to be a solid, dependable and easy to maintain engine. With chrome or finned aluminum covers and carbs/headers, they can turn a lot of heads when lined up against a row of cookie cutter small block V8s.

You've already mentioned the other alternative. If the truck is really rusty and you want something near perfect in the end, it may be smarter to let this one go and shop for a better candidate. Almost nothing is more expensive than rust repair unless you can do it all yourself. And even if you can, it needs to be a labor of love. If it's just a tedious chore on something you're only warm about, it can kill enthusiasm for the whole project.

For fuel I'd suggest something under the bed. The stock tank is 40+ years old and who knows how much crud is in it.

The existing driveshaft may or may not fit depending on where the engine is located, or may just need a yoke change. Good luck.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:58 AM   #4
Eagar1

I agree with both Dark and Mark, except I would go ahead and get nasty with it, rough out the body work, but keep it raunchy, rat rod, maybe chopped, maybe channel the body over the frame, something really fun since you have a borderline body anyway, keep it rusty/petina etc... let it take on a life of its own and you will really enjoy the build and the drive.
Eagar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Bugeyev8

just drop a used 6 banger back in at and be done
Bugeyev8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
TimE
Hey Y'all!!

If you're just gonna use it as a beater truck, I would look around and try to pick up a running 6. I have seen several in my area on CL over time for $100-$150. Heck, I have a spare one sitting on my shop floor now... Anyway, if saving money on it is the key, stick with a 6.

On the other hand, if you plan to keep the truck and want a fun toy--go with the LT1. It would make the truck a blast to drive and still get decent gas mileage.

Just my $.02.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
duallyjams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagar1 View Post
I agree with both Dark and Mark, except I would go ahead and get nasty with it, rough out the body work, but keep it raunchy, rat rod, maybe chopped, maybe channel the body over the frame, something really fun since you have a borderline body anyway, keep it rusty/petina etc... let it take on a life of its own and you will really enjoy the build and the drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyev8 View Post
just drop a used 6 banger back in at and be done
Both of these ideas are good. Buy another six and drop it in, ok now the engine problem is solved. Make it a rat rod and leave the rust and now the body work is done. Now you still have a cheap investment that you can drive and enjoy, and you still have a engine and trans to build a go fast vehicle.
Just a thought maybe.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
sshockr

I by no means am looking for a perfect truck now or in the future. I spend enought time washing and waxing my car. Only having to occasionally hose down the truck is nice for a change. So it'll stay in its patina slash rust. I may use it as learning project on how to weld patch panels in the future but for now it's fine as is. The frame and mechanicals (sans engine) are solid and the holes in the floor are covered with license plates.

The suspension is shot but from what I've read on this lovely forum there is a chance the old springs from my Impala before I dropped it may fit? To anybody else they're worth maybe 50 bucks.

As for finding another 6. Only 1 showed up on CL. (From a 66 Nova) And I worry a little bit about getting a third engine, condition unknown. I've driven the Lt1 around the block one I cut the fenders clear of the tires. I know its good. If I rebuild the 6 I'll know that's good.

This evening I'll really get a chance to start totaling up the possible costs of all the options and I'll figure out how to share that here so I can get help finding all the holes in it.

Thanks,
- Brian

Just google mapped the 6 on craigslist. I'd spend more on gas going to get it then I would buying it.

Last edited by sshockr; 11-04-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:11 AM   #9
sshockr

This is the good side.

I love the single round headlights of the older trucks.

The not so good side.

That's all I have for pictures for now.

It's looking like it could be a push to go LT1 or rebuild the 6.

Curious as to what radiator the other few LT1 guys use and how they plumb in the transmission cooler.

- Brian