The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
64_twins

WIW 64 step side

I've been working on this truck for about a year. I took it all down to the metal and replaced what needed to be replaced. Fresh paint, although its not professional. Power steering, power brakes, auto on the column, five lug axles V8 305 that runs good. New interior, rear mount gas tank, and everything from weatherstripping to headlamp screws. I've got over $6k invested in it. I need to sell it and have been asking around $6k. I get alot of calls but folks just aren't following up on it. What do you guys think it's worth? What am I doing wrong or am I just not being patient? Thanks for the help.
Attached Images

64_twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
61TWUK

Re: WIW 64 step side

Off subject but here in HSV do you live? Thats where I'm from..

You need two tools in life: duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, you use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, you use WD-40.
61TWUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
64_twins

West side in Madison.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
61TWUK

The truck market come and goes... when I was looking for a 60-66 truck about 10 years ago and I couldnt find one less than 6K but now you can find them about anywhere and I'd say be patient. What kind of cap is it? BBW or SBW? But other than that it looks clean and from the sound of it you have put time and money into it so... hopefully it will pay off in the end.

You need two tools in life: duct tape and WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, you use duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, you use WD-40.
61TWUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Can't say what it's worth in your area, but it wouldn't last 30 seconds if shown at our local Saturday get-together for six grand.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

i think it's just a rough time to be selling right now...hopefully things pick up sooner than later...it looks like a nice rig though, & i don't think you're asking too much considering the work you've done...how long has it been for sale, & where all have you advertised?
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
Slow Build

It's always frustrating trying to get people to follow through and at least come by to check it out. I've had ads in CL for months and nobody would even come by to look at my vehicles. But as is the usual case for me, the first guy that shows up usually buys it. So hang in there. The right buyer will come along.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
jonathan-m

6k would be a good deal for a truck in that condition around my area too. These kind of trucks can be a tough sale though, just give it time.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #9
sailed2japan
Jonny

I agree with what has been said, 6 grand is a good price for a restored truck, you may even be able to get more. It does take time to sell things these days, unless you want to give it away.

Here's a craigslist tip and what I try to do since you are limited to 4 pics. Do front showing the side and grill, interior, engine, and back showing the tailgate and opposite side of the front. Another thing I've seen done is to upload a bunch of pics to a hosting site and put a link in your add or post two and put links to each other with different pics.

Also take a bunch of pics of the same thing at slightly different angles and then decide which ones to use once you see them on the computer and mention in your add that you have more pics you can e-mail to them. I always try to let whoever is interested in my stuff so interested that they can't sleep at night without seeing it.

As for your discrption keep it short and sweet, you can tell them the whole story in person, but most people won't sit and read a paragraph about everything you've done to the truck. I like to stick to a "bullet" format is my discriptions, that way I cut out the bs and hit the details.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Slow Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailed2japan View Post
As for your discrption keep it short and sweet, you can tell them the whole story in person, but most people won't sit and read a paragraph about everything you've done to the truck. I like to stick to a "bullet" format is my discriptions, that way I cut out the bs and hit the details.
I agree with the upside down guy. I've seen too many ads where people tell this big story about the vehicle and give absolutely no facts about it.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
64_twins

Thanks guys. Very good comments and ideas. I feel a little more encouraged and will just wait it out. I have a tendency to buy high and sell low!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

You could also post on CL farther out. Mobile, Montgomery etc.
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote