The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
TINKERDUKE

Where can i find a 55 heater core?

Hi folks, The heater core in my 55 chevy truck leaks like a basket! I took it to a radiator place but they couldn't do it as its American and they couldn't match the core. The weather is getting miserable over here and its my daily, i'm getting fed up with a misted screen and cold cab- can somebody tell me where i can source one? It measures:
CORE WIDTH: 6.25"
CORE LENGTH: 7.25"
OVERALL LENGTH WITHOUT PIPES: 8.75"
The pipes (somewhat dented up) appear to measure 3/4" in diameter. The bracket on top has 57J stamped on it

Any help greatly appreciated, Steve.
TINKERDUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Richard H.
Spanked once

Re: Where can i find a 55 heater core?

If it is a 1st series ,I think there is a place in Texas that will fix it for $300. Ouch! I'm not aware of a repop as I have the same problem.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
OrrieG

Have you been to a real auto parts place to see if they can, or would let you, look through their radiator books to find one that is close in size. I did that once on a 41 Chevy auto I had. Got a core that was close and modified the water pipes and redneck engineered the brackets to work.

Editorial: It's a poor statement on how far we have fallen when someone can't fix a part because its American and they can't get parts. The war we lose will be when all the foriegn countries that really hate us but smile while taking our businesses and money decide to stop shipping us stuff and this country grinds to a halt because we have lost the capability to make our own necessities. I thank God everyday I have the skills to live off the land and make and fix my stuff if I have to.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #4
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Editorial: It's a poor statement on how far we have fallen when someone can't fix a part because its American and they can't get parts. The war we lose will be when all the foriegn countries that really hate us but smile while taking our businesses and money decide to stop shipping us stuff and this country grinds to a halt because we have lost the capability to make our own necessities. I thank God everyday I have the skills to live off the land and make and fix my stuff if I have to.
Orrie, trust me I feel the same way, but did you notice he's from England?

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
TINKERDUKE

Hi, thanks for the replys. Yeah meant to say I'm actually in england- parts are always a challenge. I think I will check out summit and see if they stock anything of similar dimentions and go from there. Any pointers on later cores that might fit would be great. Also meant to say its a 2nd series 55. Thanks againm Steve.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
Orrie, trust me I feel the same way, but did you notice he's from England?
Didn't notice, guess that changes the specific issue, but I stand by my general comments. If you need help getting one from the States and getting it shipped LMK, I've shipped ebay stuff all over the world without any problems.

HERE IS one that is a little smaller from a 1960 truck. Is the inlet/outlet pipe even close???

http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S...506_0237311717

Last edited by OrrieG; 11-08-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Richard H.
Spanked once

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Didn't notice, guess that changes the specific issue, but I stand by my general comments. If you need help getting one from the States and getting it shipped LMK, I've shipped ebay stuff all over the world without any problems.
Just curious , was the editorial for me or the o p. Or for that matter both of us? The 54-55 1st is a helix coil design and that is why I ask Him, if you have and or know how to do one of these ,me and several others would like to know.
Respectfully, RH
Old 11-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
54 jimmy

first series or second series 55 because i think their is on in a junkyard by me. i bought a whole heater box with core from him for $25.00 and the core is near new. i think he has another one there that i could pull out for you and have it shipped if worse come to worse. he also has a 55 second series with the delux heater in it i think the core might be good it that one too. i can also have it checked for you at a local rad shop here. if it needs fixin the could do it pretty reasonable. my moms friend had his 28 dodge brothers rad fixed for $50.00. that is dirt cheap. i am going to take mine to the same guy in the spring. let me know. i am out of town right now working but hope to be home onj the 16th so i could stop by the junk yard that week and pull that out for you. if you could post a pic of the core it would help too.
2008jeep patriot (wife's daily driver
2008 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 sold
2011 chevy 1500 crew cab ltz (daily driver)
1996 chevy 1500 reg cab 4x4 project sold
2006 pontiac grand prix gxp (daily work commuter)
54 jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard H. View Post
Just curious , was the editorial for me or the o p.
The editorial was not directed to any one person, just general musing on the state of things. I did not realize he was in England. I would never personally attack anyone on line unless prevoked.

His is second series so a rectangular one that fits in the box and has room to modify the inlet and outlet tubes could be made to work. Any excess room around the sides could be closed with metal to direct air blow through the core.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #10
TINKERDUKE

Hey guys, thanks for all the replys. It sure is great to have informative help at hand. 54 chevy I really appreciate your kind offer of getting and shipping a core for me, however I think I have found one on summit with the correct dimensions for under 50 dollars. Hopefully being new it should give years of trouble free heat! Thanks again for the replys, Steve