The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
sailed2japan
Jonny

Insight Needed

So after busting my ass to replace my front clip and doors that were damaged in an accident a few months back I take my truck in for an alignment and find out the frame is bent.

So I find a C20 2wd w/ a 454, th400 and 14 bolt ff for $1,000 in good shape with just a little rust. So, I'm thinking swap my Cummins into that and have the truck I really want and maube someday make it a shorty.

My dilemma: What can I get for a good 454/th400 and 14 bolt ff unknown gears as the glove box just said "standard axle"??

Also how hard is it to swap from an auto to a stick, I already have a column and I can pull the pedals from my truck. I would assume the holes are there, but I don't know.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
BLE 'BURBAN
In the Forgotten far North.

Re: Insight Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailed2japan View Post
So after busting my ass to replace my front clip and doors that were damaged in an accident a few months back I take my truck in for an alignment and find out the frame is bent.

So I find a C20 2wd w/ a 454, th400 and 14 bolt ff for $1,000 in good shape with just a little rust. So, I'm thinking swap my Cummins into that and have the truck I really want and maube someday make it a shorty.

My dilemma: What can I get for a good 454/th400 and 14 bolt ff unknown gears as the glove box just said "standard axle"??

Also how hard is it to swap from an auto to a stick, I already have a column and I can pull the pedals from my truck. I would assume the holes are there, but I don't know.
Which cab is in better shape? yours or the other one? if it's yours, swap the cabs that way you don't have to hassle with the probablity of making new holes. And you've still got your original title/truck in hand.
overhead console Stereo install Round 2 Aug 2009
Heated/turn signal mirror upgrade
BLE 'BURBAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:52 AM   #3
sailed2japan
Jonny

Well both cabs are in about equal shape, but mine is a standard cab, not a crew. my other option was to wait until I find a C20 frame for a good price. Right now all I can find is a K20 w/o a front axle.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

I assume your truck now has a salvage title or a huge black mark on its title history from a major accident.

If both cabs are in equal shape you should build up the other frame using the matching cab. This way it is a clean title vehicle. In my state they go by the frame to determine what title goes with the truck even though the VIN tag is on the cab. Mix & match and you would have a new state inspection VIN tag riveted to the cab forever marking it as a conglomerate of parts.

I see complete 454's with T-400's go for around $600 to $800.

If you swap everything needed onto the new truck and put its rusty parts onto your bent frame truck you might be able to get all your money back out of the deal.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
sailed2japan
Jonny

My truck Has a perfectly clean title. So no issue there. Tthe only rust on the truck was on the bed behind the wheels arhes in a couple of small spots and the passengers side inner fender under the battery. The pass. flor boiard also had rust and a couple off holes so I'm guessing that some body was lazy about changing out a bad heater core.

I've given this alot of thought since yesterday and I think I am going to jump on it. Guess it'll be time for a build thread!
-AEC Hundley USNR