The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
lippsgarage

new project-some questions

Howdy all, new to the site. I've got a pretty hevy duty project going. I've got a 79 long bed standard cab pickup. It started life as a 251 3 on the tree. I got it for free and put about $800 to get it running, sat behind a garage for 8 years, put in a fuel pump, a starter, a batt, and some fresh gas, fired right up. But the brakes were swelled and locked up, lol. Got to where I wanted it and prceded to tear it apart. It is now a rolling chasis with just a cab in a friends field, lol. My plans....

Full frame resto with a V8 and a six speed manual tranny, a substantial drop, 20/22 rims, and lots of go fast goodies. Here are some options I'm still entertaining and wouldn't mind a little toss around the group.

Engine: the three i'm looking at are a basic 350, a 383 stroker, or a vette motor. I'm a Ford guy by nature and am still getting used to a bowtie. I'm thinking a small block for mileage reasons, and I like the numbers I'm finding in a base rebuild. If I go with a carb set-up, I want to do a shaker hood. Would look awesome on our big hoods. Otherwise, I was thinking a FI swap onto a 383 with a lowrise supercharger to keep the hood stock. Then I saw an episode of Gearz where he put a twin-turbo kit on a vette and thought that would be really cool. 1000hp out of our trucks? Hmmmm....

Suspension: static or air? Static drop is easier to plan out, you don't need much of a length of travel plan. But air, I can adjust to help with launches, weaken the rear a little to help with rear bias in a launch. Hmmmmmm....

Body: I found a site where I can get a complete fiberglass body with a one-piece tilt front end, but I was thinking about maybe chopping the top and that i think is harder with fiberglass. Hmmmmm.....

Things I know I'm doing, converting to a 77/78 grille set-up, but paint the surround body color (marble blue w/ silver or black ss stripes) and just leave the front bumper and billet grille insert polished (along with the windshield surround). I'm also converting the door panels to an 81 style so I can put the billet insert in the door to match one for the dash, and do a 2-tone blue and black interior. Going with autolite cobalt guages with a billet guage surround. I know I'm keeping the lond bed, I like that look in a lead sled. Got a few more things kicking around in my head, but any thoughts? anyone done what I'm trying to do? Hit me back and I'll try to keep updates, but I'm on the long term plan, just got relocated for work and have a one year old, but should be fun.

Thanx.....Jace
lippsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: new project-some questions

hey there welcome to the site.. Im not into all those extensive mods like that but it does sound real cool... please post pics and im sure the other led sled gurus on here will chime in before long

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
lippsgarage

it's gonna be a slow process, I moved to Nashville and the truck is on a farm in WI. But I'm headed back in two weeks and I'll try to get pics as it sits. Looking for a storage here and then for someone who can help me tow it here. I really want to get it moving, but I don't want to repeat repairs in the process, oh well, that's the fun of it, right? Here's hoping
Old 10-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
85Bowtie

Welcome to the site. I'm near you, about 45 minutes east near Cookeville.
'77 Dodge Monaco ex cop car 440, 727, 2.71
'79 Dodge 'Lil Red Express pickup 360, 727, 3.55 Sure Grip
'12 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392, M6, 3.92
'85 Chevrolet C-10 SWB 2wd 305, TH350, 2.73
85Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
lippsgarage

don't laugh i'm not an artist, lol, but these are some ideas i have, but i might be thinking a different paint job
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
lippsgarage

so didn't get any pics while i was home, sorry, but i'll get them soon. Starting to collect basic chassis parts for now. I think I'm gonna do a basic 350 swap with a 5 speed and a static drop just to get it moving, then I'll work on the power-house mods. Anyone know a good frame shop around Dubuque, IA or Madison, WI? I want to do a sand-blast, maybe powder coat, and box the frame, then I can start bolting on the new stuff. Also, as far as steering boxes go, is the a sportier box I can bolt up for better steering, or should I save up for a rack and pinion kit? I see 12:1, 13:1, 16:1 ratios, I'm assuming the lower the number, the quicker the box is? Thanx for the help everyone