The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
iwanta70

Adding power steering

I've looked through all 35 pages and didn't really see an answer to what I was looking for. Is adding power steering to a non power steering truck as simple as changing the steering gear and pitman arm and adding the pump or is there more to it? I'm talking simple and basic terms here. I saw the articles about the pump brackets and all that and I get it. I'm talking just the basics.

How about power brakes? Same question, can I just add the booster and proportioning valve and change a couple lines?

I've found a 70 C-10 in great shape for better money but it doesn't have either and I'm wondering about adding them. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
iwanta70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM   #2
hounddogs!
Restoring it $200 at a time...

Re: Adding power steering

You'll need:

Steering box
Pitman arm
Pump (replace the hoses now)
Double groove crank pulley
Short v-belt

Might not hurt to replace the rag joint and the bearing (maybe 2, I don't remember) that carries the steering column. I'm thinking that I had to adjust the length of the column. Adding the other components was a couple of hours in the apartment parking lot. Good luck.

'68 5.3L-4 speed LWB C20; grandpa bought it for the farm in '71. Now LS 5.3, rather than 327.

DD '09 Pilot

Weekender '65 Skylark 300-4V-4 speed

Wife's '07 Lexus ES350; 117 actuator motors and I can't see the engine.

Son's '04 F250 SuperCab 6.0
hounddogs! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:27 PM   #3
rsavage

You will need a new rag joint that fits the PS box (the manual rag joint is different. PN 200 from Advance auto fit my saginaw box. 2 wheel drive boxes are different from 4 wheel drive. Try to find a PS pump bracket that came on these year trucks - it's a two piece cast bracket that bolts with two bolts to the front of the block and one to the front motor mount bolt. It is like a cradle for the pump. This mount will alleviate problems lining up pulleys and clearing alttenator belt. If you have no air or PS, you will have a thin 1 groove pulley on the crank. It has a couple of raised "locators" on it. You will need to get another pulley that bolts on top of that one using the 3 small bolts and the balancer bolt that are already holding the single groove on. I just did this and I should have written down the pulley numbers for the crank and PS pump before mounting.
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
trucktony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
You will need a new rag joint that fits the PS box (the manual rag joint is different. PN 200 from Advance auto fit my saginaw box. 2 wheel drive boxes are different from 4 wheel drive. Try to find a PS pump bracket that came on these year trucks - it's a two piece cast bracket that bolts with two bolts to the front of the block and one to the front motor mount bolt. It is like a cradle for the pump. This mount will alleviate problems lining up pulleys and clearing alttenator belt. If you have no air or PS, you will have a thin 1 groove pulley on the crank. It has a couple of raised "locators" on it. You will need to get another pulley that bolts on top of that one using the 3 small bolts and the balancer bolt that are already holding the single groove on. I just did this and I should have written down the pulley numbers for the crank and PS pump before mounting.
Can anyone tell me what's the difference between a 2 wheel drive gearbox and a 4whl drive gearbox?
I have a 1971 c20 292cui 4x4 and want to put on a blazer 4x4 sterring gear.
But I cannot find a pitmanarm for this aplication
I managed to make me a powersteeringpump bracket.
Looks real good
I have another steeringgear but that's with a tightningbolt and nut on the side instead of the large nut on the top of the pitmanarm
Can anyone help me what to use for this conversion from manual to powersteering.
Or where I can buy the pitmanarm for the 4x4
Thanks Tony
Thanks Tony
trucktony is offline   Reply With Quote