The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

63: 6 to v8 swap?

my wifes 63 has a very tired 230? 6 in it, on a quick visual inspection, it looks like the bellhousing has the same shape as a V8..
..so would I be able to use the 6 belhousing,starter,clutch,flywheel?
wiring harness?
It has a dinky little radiator, but my donor has a good v8 one..
the donors, a 64 v8, or a 65- I have 2 different ones, are both equipped with ratty wiring harnesses
niether one has a starter.
and the motor mounts, are they different 6-8?

anything else I should look out for?
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: 63: 6 to v8 swap?

Bellhousing, starter, flywheel, all of that will bolt straight to the V8.

You reuse the frame mounts from the 6 cylinder. Just unbolt the rubber mounts from the 6 cylinder engine and bolt them to the V8 with the three bolts. Now drop the V8 right back into the original frame mounts.

You will need a clutch pivot ball to screw into your V8 block for the Z bar to pivot on.

You will need to extend the alternator wiring since the alternator is mounted so low on the 6 and high on the V8.

You will need to extend the accelerator pedal rod.

I've literally done this swap in 4 hours. It's an easy one.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
padresag

the eng perches can be moved to the rear set of holes which is the stock application for a v8 while I6 reside in the frt set of holes
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:58 PM   #4
TwoFiftyShifter

Look into a different radiator.... the I6 radiator is a little skimpy once you slap a V8 in there, it could work though.
Old 11-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yep this pretty well sums it up. You don't have to move the frame mounts either, there in the same place for the V8's and the 230/250's. The 292's had the staggered motor mounts.....passenger side farther forward. And yes I would switch to the bigger radiator. Do you have a V8 fan shroud you can put on it? That will help with cooling. Sounds like you should have enough parts there to do the swap.

Did you find a drivers rear fender yet? I'm still looking for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Bellhousing, starter, flywheel, all of that will bolt straight to the V8.

You reuse the frame mounts from the 6 cylinder. Just unbolt the rubber mounts from the 6 cylinder engine and bolt them to the V8 with the three bolts. Now drop the V8 right back into the original frame mounts.

You will need a clutch pivot ball to screw into your V8 block for the Z bar to pivot on.

You will need to extend the alternator wiring since the alternator is mounted so low on the 6 and high on the V8.

You will need to extend the accelerator pedal rod.

I've literally done this swap in 4 hours. It's an easy one.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE

Last edited by Captainfab; 11-21-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
padresag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Yep this pretty well sums it up. You don't have to move the frame mounts either, there in the same place for the V8's and the 230/250's. The 292's had the staggered motor mounts.....passenger side farther forward. And yes I would switch to the bigger radiator. Do you have a V8 fan shroud you can put on it? That will help with cooling. Sounds like you should have enough parts there to do the swap.
you do not have to move the perches but if you are using the rear eng mounting(stock-bellhousing mounts) you will struggle to put the bolts in the insulators and will stress the insulators a bit.
If you are putting in a rear trans mount and eliminating then you adj that dimension with that installation. the main reason to leave in the frt holes is if you need the firewall clearance for some hei distr. it may effect you fan spacing inside the shroud and exhaust clearances at the steering box. it will also tightern up your "z bar".
there arfe alot of things that you do not have to do in this world,but it is always nice to have things fit the way that they should fit. it also reduces that POs comments from the next owner
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

thanks guys, I do have a v8 rad and shroud, about the only things I didn't have are the engine wiring harness, and the starter, so since the ones out of the 6 will work I am home free!

capt fab: I did find a fender, but it is real rough, there is enough there to cut the piece out and weld it to a good wheel well cutout fender, and wouldn't you know even the patch piece needs a dent knocked out of it
so yes I am still looking, and if I don't find one by spring, I will cut and paste this one together
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote