The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2003, 10:06 PM   #1
dennisr

How can I find a slow air susupension leak?

I just installed the rear air suspension kit from early classic on my 69. It all seemed to go pretty well, but I seem to have a slow air leak and I can't find it. I've tried pouring water on the line fittings but it's difficult to do and because of the awkward positions, isnt very effective. I wonder if it may be leaking from the fitting on top of the bag, but it's very difficult to see there, let alone pour water. I can't hear any air leaking anywhere, but the rear ends up on the axles in about 1 hour. Any suggestions on how to find this????

Thanks,
Dennis
dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:10 PM   #2
mikep
Used to have a truck

fill it full of propane and then wave a match around

Its got to be a fitting. You telfon taped everything right. Are you using compression fittings or QD air fittings ?
Old 04-18-2003, 10:13 PM   #3
Jackal2k9

jesus help us mike. some people will actually TRY that. It may not be so bad that it destroys thier truck but who would think to move the rest of the propane tank further away.

try pumping some a/c leak repair/ marker sutff in it. It fixes small leaks and bleeds red dye through leaks so you can see them.
Jackal2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 10:15 PM   #4
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Use a spray bottle with water and soap. Or they have air line soap that you put in your system that will bubble. Best thing I found was to just retighten all your fittings. And use teflon paste, its better than the tape.
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 11:26 PM   #5
BraveDave

fill it up with air and drive the truck into a swimming pool and look for the bubbles. it should take any time at all to find that pesky leak!
Old 04-18-2003, 11:42 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Hmmm, is there a check valve of any sort between your tanks and the compressor?
There is a posability of the air seeping past the rings and since it is inside the compressor you don't hear it.
How high can you pump up the PSI in that sucker? Max it out and that will amplify any hissing sounds. I know at 90 PSI we seem to be able to hear any leak on the big rigs at work with no problem.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 03:14 PM   #7
dennisr

Thanks for the help guy's. I filled it full of propane and caught the dang thing on fire, so I had to drive it into the pool to put the fire out. And low and behold, bubbles coming from the top of the bag.

Seriousy, the soap and bubbles worked great. Had a tiny leak on top of the bag. Retaped it and it holds perfectly now.

Thanks again,
Dennis
dennisr is offline   Reply With Quote