The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-18-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Jason Spears

Where to hook up mechanical oil pressure gage?

I'm in the process of hooking up a mechanical oil pressure gage in my truck and I'm not sure where to hook it up. I have an '87 1/2 ton with a 305 TBI. There are two oil pressure taps on the engine. One is beside the distributor and the other is just above the oil filter. The one beside the distributor has two wires going to it and the one by the oil filter has one. I have all of the factory service manuals and wiring diagrams but they seem to contradict themselves as to the function of each of these switches. One switch is a oil pressure switch which gives a permissive to the fuel pump to come on once the oil pressure reaches 4 psi. The other is a sending unit for my idiot light. Now according to the wiring diagram the one with two wires (beside the distributor) is the switch for the fuel pump and the other is for the idiot light.

In the section on the instrument cluster in the service manual it says when you have a problem with the gages to check the sending unit beside the distributor. I've also read in other posts about a tee fitting beside the distributor in trucks with factory gages. Is the other switch present in trucks with gages?

Where has everyone else hooked up their pressure gages? I just want to make sure I'm getting the correct reading so I can diagnose my oil pressure problem correctly. Thanks for the help.

Jason
Jason Spears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:47 PM   #2
raceman6135
Dino burner

I installed a 'T' in the port by the distributor so I could use both my factory idiot light and my aftermarket gauge.

My 1986 350 block (carbureted) isn't even tapped by the oil filtre. Sorry, can't help you with regard to which senders/sensors/switches do what functions, but if you 'T' either of them, you should be safe, because then you're not bypassing any factory systems.

DJS
raceman6135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

Well, I have some experience with this, but not on an 87. The sending unit by the distributor is for the idiot light or the gage, the switch near the oil filter on earlier models is tapped into the choke wire (this is why your choke light comes on when your engine dies, no oil pressure and therefore no voltage goes to the choke coil) I can only assume that they used the same arrangement in 87 but substituted the switch for the fuel pump for the electric choke switch.
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2003, 08:55 PM   #4
Jason Spears

After doing a little more research I determined that the port just above the oil filter actually intersects the bore going up to the port by the distributor so they both read the oil pressure after the oil filter. I installed the pressure line for the gage at the port by the oil filter because that is where the sending unit for the idiot light is. It was also much easier to access than the one by the distributor. This way I can see exactly what the pressure is if the light comes on since the gage and the light are on the same port.

I also found a pretty easy way to get the stock sending unit out. I just used a ordinary basin wrench. It reached the unit no problem and I didn't have to buy a sending unit socket or bust my knuckles reaching up between the block and the exhaust manifold with a pair of vise grips!

Now I can start trying to figure what made my oil light come on when I was driving home on Thursday. Lots of fun!
Jason Spears is offline   Reply With Quote