The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
70cst

Re: Whats NEW?

big_al_71

Your color theme with those wheels (1st pic) rock ... great look!!! I have never been a strong fan of Black and White color ... but your color theme is absolutely awesome!!! I am converted!!

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 11-24-2009 at 06:40 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:40 PM   #27
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
From my old perspective, it's all just a big circle. What's "new" today, was "neat" yesterday. Guy's would lower their "lead sleds" to the point of not being able to go to a particular drive-in because the speed bumps were too high, or the driveway was too steep.
Shop trucks were work trucks, just old beaters with a name on the door, today they're "in". Back in the day, "sleepers" were the thing to cruise in. They're back.
I guess what I'm saying is, "what goes 'round, comes 'round." If you don't particularly like a style, wait a year or two and it'll fade. The only trend that I've noticed that is constant, is the percentage of bone-stock restorations.
The single biggest improvement (?) is the availability of after-market parts. Used to be you had to scrounge parts from a bone-yard to create your one-of-a-kind ride. And that was part of the fun - the hunt. Then you had to engineer your parts and make it all come together. Today it's 1-800 and you've got your new parts. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just suggesting that maybe this is where all of the diversity has come from.

I'll uh, get off my soap box now.
Very good thoughts ...

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #28
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
big_al_71

Your color theme with those wheels (1st pic) rock ... great look!!! I have never been a strong fan of Black and White color ... but your color theme is absolutely awesome!!! I am converted!!

welcome to the darkside!!!!

Thank you!!!

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:59 PM   #29
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I'm with the "rodstoration" crowd.No matter what vehicle it is,the stock look with upgraded mec hanicals and comfort acessories is always in style.Paint Fads change but that style always works.Big wheels may be the thing now but i do remember 13's being the "in thing" and usually they were wires.I have yet to see a 15 incher look out of place or style(except on a "Donk").
Even the best customs have always been just slightly modified to bring out the style of the original.Usually just very subtle touches that most wouldn't notice.
One style that I didn't see mentioned is what most of us have.The "in the works,but I'm making progress" style.That has always been the predominate style and probably will continue to be so,though I see way more finished cars these days than in the 50's,60's and 70's.
Fads come and go but the "trend" in rodding,trukin',and car guy, has always been the mildly modified,performance enhanced,classic body style.
Scratch all the above for the Vette purists.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #30
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I didn't mean to step on your toes lolife. I never criticized modifying trucks. I criticize guys cutting up nice stuff and never finishing anything. How many hundreds of pristine trucks are sitting out there with gutted bed floors and a set of nice wheels and years worth of dust on them, having not been touched in forever due to lack of motivation or budget?

We've both been here awhile and you've seen me do a good number of trucks. The first thing I do is remove the 6 lug rearend and front drum brakes and throw it away. Then disc brakes, lower it and 5 lug..yada, yada, yada. I modify every one of them. I no purist.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 11-24-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #31
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I didn't mean to step on your toes lolife. I never criticized modifying trucks. I criticize guys cutting up nice stuff and never finishing anything. How many hundreds of pristine trucks are sitting out there with gutted bed floors and a set of nice wheels and years worth of dust on them, having not been touched in forever due to lack of motivation or budget?

We've both been here awhile and you've seen me do a good number of trucks. The first thing I do is remove the 6 lug rearend and front drum brakes and throw it away. Then disc brakes, lower it and 5 lug..yada, yada, yada. I modify every one of them. I no purist.
Hey Kevin,... Sorry for the rant.
Sometimes this board hits me wrong or I read it wrong.
I do know your trucks and respect what you do to them.
You were one of the first members that I noticed on here,... that actually worried about the suspension and brakes and using quality parts. Making these trucks dependable first.

I'll go away now,...

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:43 PM   #32
lofly'a

i've taken in all the above posts, and i think the one single system that has made the biggest difference in looks, comfort, driveability and handling all around is the refining of air ride and the flexibility and cool it adds to a ride whether it be a big slammed caddy, a vintage camaro, or a C10. i don't think this is a trend though, but will be a mainstay for many years to come. air ride affords the guy that uses his truck to haul the ability to maintain cool, and it still be a truck, and the ledsled cruisers the ability to traverse any speed-hump without limiting where they can cruise. Porterbuilt and others are like the icing on the cake at making things happen without headaches, and taking all the guesswork out of suspension mods.
-2003 YUKON (Wife's)
-71 gmc swb fleet (current project, gonna shave everything, bags, stuff w/ 20's, gen III powertrain)
-48 3100 SWB - 12/31/23 LONG TERM Project
lofly'a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #33
Tx Firefighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Hey Kevin,... Sorry for the rant.
Sometimes this board hits me wrong or I read it wrong.
I do know your trucks and respect what you do to them.
You were one of the first members that I noticed on here,... that actually worried about the suspension and brakes and using quality parts. Making these trucks dependable first.

I'll go away now,...
Don't go away now. If you did I'd have lost a good board friend and someone I respect. Your trucks aren't junk. I think I've even powdercoated some parts for you. You finish what you start.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:35 PM   #34
vectorit
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Latest trend seems to be cutting up a nice shortbed truck for monster notches in the rear, gutting the bed floor, then running out of money and not really finishing anything.
Since what Tx Firefighter's statment seems to have been taken a bit harshly, I wanted to just say that what I got out of it and why I quoted him with agreement. Was his statement of starting a huge project, and then running out of money or interest. Then what's left is a rig that not many would want to finish, and to me it often seems like all that good hardware goes to waste. Which is a shame.

My take is, do what ever your heart tells you to do to YOUR ride. Who cares about trends, if it makes YOU happy then do it.

That's what "I" got out of what was written.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #35
Tx Firefighter

Anyone who was offended by my post needs to stop and think for a second before getting butt hurt. I never criticized any way of building a truck. I criticized biting off more than you can chew and hacking up a good truck in the process.

Be realistic in your budget, time, and skills. Maybe a 4/6 drop and 15 inch wheels would get you on the road ASAP while 22 inch wheels and radical modifications will bog you down and grind progress to a halt due to money or simply getting in too far over your head. Now you have a cut up truck bogarting your garage and a bad taste in your mouth over the whole thing.

I know myself and how I am. I prefer to get a project, do the ECE drop stuff, convert to 5 lug and get it on the road. If it drags on month after month, my motivation wanes. That's why all of my trucks have basically followed the exact same formula.

Vectorit hit the nail on the head. My crap may not be radical but I build a lot of trucks and get them running down the road using my recipe.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 11-24-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #36
clay68c10

I'd say the big wheel thing is the latest trend.
My favorite trend that I see with folks on this board is making things driveable. Whether that means a rebuilt Q-jet and fresh drum brake shoes or 22's and an LS1.
The thing i hate to see at car shows are rides that clearly aren't driven much. What a waste.
90% of what I've done to my 68 was done to make it a better driver. It's usually my top priority.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:09 AM   #37
trukindud

i agree its a truck its cool lets just get them all on the road and enjoy them and they can always git patch panels if you think you went to low
Old 11-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #38
mclairmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay68c10 View Post
I'd say the big wheel thing is the latest trend.
My favorite trend that I see with folks on this board is making things driveable. Whether that means a rebuilt Q-jet and fresh drum brake shoes or 22's and an LS1.
The thing i hate to see at car shows are rides that clearly aren't driven much. What a waste.
90% of what I've done to my 68 was done to make it a better driver. It's usually my top priority.
I'm not sure if SoCal is the trend leader or not but I see the big wheel trend going away now. Everyone here has huge rims, even suburban soccer moms have huge a$$ rims on their grocery getter SUVs. Starting to get silly around here. There is now some demand building up for old slot mags, Vectors, oem rims and anything old or retro, even old valve covers and intakes that are period correct. I was not kidding about the 70's. I see that as the next upcoming trend, even though I hate it. Also, (related to this 70's idea) is hot rodding a vehicle as it would have been hot rodded when it was new is a trend I see coming down the road. Thus, the higher demand for vintage aftermarket stuff.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:14 PM   #39
sgrier

Everybody has different ideas, that is what makes your truck unique. Lets enjoy our trucks and just be thankful we can do what we want to them. HAPPY THANKSGIVING everybody. Now, get out there and work on those projects.
sgrier is offline   Reply With Quote