The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2009, 04:20 PM   #1
landy

Rocker panel replacement ?s

Guys, came across a '71, k5, V8 (don't know if it's a 350 or 307), 4 speed, 4x4 that is in orginal condition. Been sitting for a while, and may take some work to get it running again. Rocker panels are rotted, but the rest of the body looks ok. I know there are replacement rocker panels available. I've never replaced rockers before, so how difficult is it? Are the panels weld-in or riveted-in?

Thanks.
landy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Rocker panel replacement ?s

Not a bad job and probably one of the easiest to replace rust wise on a truck.

Here is an excellent write up on the subject:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271066

They are (and should be) welded in.

Good luck and post some pix if you get it.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
BIGBLU 72

its not hard at all! i put the rockers in my Jimmy and it was my first time welding!

Take your time and fit and measure a lot with the doors on before you weld them in for good or they wnt fit like mine dnt haha!
Old 11-19-2009, 07:21 AM   #4
vtblazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
Guys, came across a '71, k5, V8 (don't know if it's a 350 or 307), 4 speed, 4x4 that is in orginal condition. Been sitting for a while, and may take some work to get it running again. Rocker panels are rotted, but the rest of the body looks ok. I know there are replacement rocker panels available. I've never replaced rockers before, so how difficult is it? Are the panels weld-in or riveted-in?

Thanks.

Word of caution.

Rarely are "only" the outter rockers the one thing that needs to be replaced, not saying it's impossible, just unlikely.

Can you see the inner rockers?

How about the torsion boxes?

Both in decent shape?

Next visit, check the windshield frame & the firewall, both are cancer spots too.

Good luck and 'hopefully' welcome to the board.
vtblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #5
landy

Thanks. Yeah, I had a '71 some years ago. Really enjoyed it. I've done some reading on this site for the typical rust areas. I only did a cursory look, but could see the rot on the exterior rockers, and heavy rust on the floorboard where it meets the kick panel. I'll give the undercarriage and elsewhere a close look.

Truck has been sitting for a while, but ran ok prior to parking, although it had a front main seal leak I was told.

Assuming the rot is limited to the rockers and parts of the floorboard, I thought I'd offer $1500, although I was told he'd sell it for $2500. Seem reasonable? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
BIGBLU 72

I gave 2500 (when it "would only be sold for 3500") for my jimmy and had to replace rockers and floor pans! its really not that big of a deal to replace that stuff! Id offer 1500 and see where that goes! make sure the rocker boxes are good and check under it really good!
Old 11-19-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
lks dcvn

As vtblazer noted (and even in the link I shared) - once you remove the rocker - there could be a host of other issues with rust that are well hidden on these trucks.

Sadly - you won't be able to pry off the rocker before buying to check on rust behind it.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #8
landy

I took a closer look and here's what I found...

The left-side outer rocker is toast, but the inner looked ok. Some rot on the floor board near the kick panel. The right side rocker is better, but does have rot as well. The torsion boxes, frame, underneath floor boards, wheel wells, bed, etc. are in great shape with no visible rot. Even the battery box and underneath is rot free. Has original owner's manual with Protecto-Plate indicating it to be a southwest truck. Emissions sticker on the inside fender indicates it to be originally a 307 with a 2 bbl. It now has a 4 bbl. The cylinder heads have the double hump camel back, which I'm assuming is original. Has a HEI ignition.

Floor mats and insulation are original, which has trapped moisture causing the rust. The passenger door won't open, although the lock appears to function. No door or hatch keys, only an ignition key.

Glove box codes indicate it to be a 4 speed, positraction, power steering, am radio, fuel tank skidplate.

Engine is free, brakes have pressure, and clutch works. No gas cap, so the tank may be in poor shape. Couldn't see the exterior because of the skid plate. Looks like a New Process xfer case.

Front lockouts are nice Selectros.

Truck looks to be very original. With some work and $s, it could be driveable. If the fuel tank is rotted out, what's a replacement cost?

I'm thinking of offering $1500. Any opinions? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
ccr72

Hey!!! I also am pretty new to this first gen k5 thing, but have delt with chevy stuff for a day or two! Double humpers' were passenger car heads,I.E.vette,impala,H.O.stuff for the day. H.E.I. did'nt come out until 74'or75'. Not bashing by no means, just FYI. New tanks can be bought through many venders for less than $300.00. Still sounds like a helluva good start to me!!!!! Good luck, hope you drag 'er home soon!!!!
ccr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:52 PM   #10
landy

I figured the HEI was added later. Do you think those heads are original to that engine?
Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

What is the correct order to replace both rocker boxes and inner and outer rockers?
Rockers first?
Or rocker boxes first?

I assume you do one side at a time to help keep the tub aligned correctly.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 11-26-2009 at 08:24 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:52 PM   #12
ccr72

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy View Post
I figured the HEI was added later. Do you think those heads are original to that engine?
Look at the casting number on the block. located on the drivers side, just behind the cylinder head,where the tranny bolts up.
ccr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
71jimmy

lolife99, I did not need to replace my torsion (rocker) boxes, only inner and outer rockers. But I'll take a stab at an anwer for you.

I think it all depends on how bad the torsion box or rockers are rusted out. You need something to align too while your replacing things. Therefore, if your outer/inner rockers have enough left, use them to align and install the torsion box. If your torsion box has more left, align the inner/outer rockers first.

And definately do one side at a time, not only to keep some body rigidity but also as a template as to how things go back together. You should have your top on and brace at the doors.

Post some pics of what your dealing with, it'll help us help you. It will also serve as either inspiration or depression for us depending if our rust is worse or better LOL

Later
Sorry for the long reply, turkey triptofan (spell?) hasn't kicked in.

my .02

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:26 PM   #14
Firebirdjones

GM never installed camel hump heads on 307's originally. So either the heads were added when the 4barrel was done, or there is an entirely different engine in there. Could be a good thing.
307's originally had small valve heads (1.72 intake valve, 1.50 exhaust valve) Hope that helps.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote