The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
72step

Ran into a newer Wiring Harness-questions

My uncle had bought a wrecked 67-72 Chevy pickup last year (not sure what year) for parts and only had a banged up cab left over after he parted it out and used the parts he needed for his project 68 and pretty much sold the rest. Long story short he told me to come over and see if there was anything left on it before he sends it to the recyclers. He said I could have anything I need. I went over and it was pretty much plucked clean and was pretty beat to begin with. I was already going to go home when I started to look at the wires and it has a newer wiring harness with the small push in newer fuses and the wires are all labeled on the wire all the way what they are. I'm going back to get it in the morning cuz it was almost dark but man that's just what I needed. They cut parts of it behind the cab but even if I have to add on no prob here! It wasn't really installed too proffesional just zip tied- it was just an old rusty firewood gettin work truck. My truck really needs a new harness. How do I know what brand it is? It would help to know so I can download some directions and see if it's worth trying to install.

P.S. How's a easy way to take off the back glass?--That's the only other thing worth taking.

Last edited by 72step; 11-28-2009 at 01:54 AM.
72step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #2
pat 70/71

Re: Ran into a newer Wiring Harness-questions

It might be new gen painless harness (i know they label each wire) and have push in fuses hope this helps. ...Pat Icut the weather strip from the inside& pull out the glass

Last edited by pat 70/71; 11-28-2009 at 02:27 AM.
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #3
mr48chev

a little poking through the different adds for similar harnesses and fuse blocks would be my first thought.

When you get everything out you might check it all over for a part number or name on it.

Normally the aftermarket harness guys are pretty good to follow the GM color codes so replacing and hooking up the missing wires shouldn't be a big issue.

I'd look in the Painless book first simply because some of the parts houses like O'Reilly's carry their stuff.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
72step

Cool, thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #5
eric67m

P.S. How's a easy way to take off the back glass?--That's the only other thing worth taking.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you do not want the gasket, cut the flange off of the gasket on the inside of the truck next to the cab. Carefully push the window and gasket to the outside.

Last edited by eric67m; 11-28-2009 at 10:58 AM.
eric67m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
72step

Well, I looked all over the place online and I've come to figure the harness is a Universal GM harness from Summit racing. That's the only harness I could find online that looks like the one I got. It doesn't have the stock size fuse box to bolt on to the old location. It is a smaller fuse box that takes a cover and I guess can pretty much be zip tied anywhere. It's pretty light weight. I'll see if I can get an instruction manual from Summit and see what I got. Thanks.