The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-20-2003, 04:30 PM   #1
chevykid1969

cab corner advice

i am getting ready to cut out my old cab corners and replace them with new panels. i was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me. dosen't seem to hard ,but my welding skills are not so good. any advice is welcome.
chevykid1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 04:35 PM   #2
orange72

the best advice i can give you is to make sure to not cut out to much. its better to cut under than over. i made that mistake.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:13 PM   #3
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I just finished replacing both of my cab corners. Orange 72 is right about cutting out only what is necessary to eliminate the rust. When I opened up both of my cab corners there was other rust behind (big surprise). GM must have put five pounds of seam sealer in each cab corner trying to prevent the rust but to no avail. On the passenger side I had to get into the rocker panel too. Just be sure to get all the rust out or get ready to do it over again later. I cut pieces from the cab corner replacements that I wasn't going to use to fashion patches to fix the unseen rust. Use a mig welder and skip around to minimize warping (mine still warped). The warping can be hammer and dollied out to get a smoother surface so a very minimum of body filler is necessary. A real ace can do this job without body filler but unless you are a bodyman with years of experience this won't be possible.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:15 PM   #4
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Same thing they said, only use as much of the patch panel as necessary to fix the rust......and good luck!
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote