The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #1
fatboy7079

Help!! getrag 5spd install

Hey all! First off I would like to say great site here. There is lots of info to be found on here and its great. So here is what im working with I have a 67 short bed step side with a 250 6 in it. The truck has the 3 on the tree rite now. I picked up a parts truck for my 454 project. It is a 93 v8 stepper well I pulled the getrag 5spd out of it and I want to put it in the 67. I was wandering if anybody knows what all this entails other than the obvious. electronic speedo, hydro clutch on the other side of trans, mounts and such. Im not to worried about that stuff (I got that covered). What I am realy wandering is what clutch, pressure plate, fly wheel, and through out bearing would I use. I cant use the one off the 93 cause the flywheel bolts are different on the 67 crank rite? Well any and all help would be greatly app.
fatboy7079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Help!! getrag 5spd install

-
I'm not sure about the '93 but I have a 5 speed out of an '88 full size pickup and it looks to me like a person could use all of the parts from the six except the throwout bearing arm with it, you would have to use the one that is with the getrag trans. I'm not sure which throwout bearing you would use, the '67 or '93. On the '88 trans the bell housing is part of the transmission so you would lose the rear motor mounts because you would have to pull the original bell housing off. If you get a rear trans crossmember from an automatic truck you should be able to make it work for the rear of the 5 speed though. Keep in mind that I have not done this yet but I have been doing some checking on it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
smoky02

This link should be pretty helpful for you, although it's not for the same transmission, I'm pretty sure that it has some info that you can use.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=313954

Looking for a 1972 Blazer to hopefully fill the hole in my heart.
smoky02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
fatboy7079

Well what the problem seems to be is that. The bell housing is non removable on the getrag so you gotta use everything in there. when you compare fly wheels side by side the 67s is thicker and the 87 and newer moters have the different bolt patern on the crank. So you cant just bolt on the 93 1 and go. I don,t know if the thickness is enough to matter but i hate to tare down my running driving truck without some idea how thats gonna work out. I will deff start my thread with this swap bn the first thing i do. So if any body has any ideas keep em comming
fatboy7079 is offline   Reply With Quote