The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Tex_50613
Redneck Customs Bumpers, IA

Copo info?????

I know these exist because a old guy I use to work for has 2 but I am trying to find (on line) any info on the 67 - 72 3/4 ton Short bed 4x4's

like I said I know they exist because I have personally incountered them, and if Elery (the guy I worked for) would have not still had all the origanal paper work from Chevy on the one I would have not beleived it, one of his is a 71 fleetside the other is a 69 stepside.
he told me he had to order the Fleetside along with 2 Coil sprung rear 1 ton 4x4 short wheelbase bobbed fraim cab and Chassis trucks directly from the factory (thus the COPO and the papperwork he has supports this) He use to run a service station back in the 60's and 70's and had ordered the short box as a parts runner and the two cab and chassis got custom wreaker bodies on them, he still has 1 of the wrekers too but it is in horrid shape and dis repair

the 69 he obtained some time in the late 70's from a government auction, from his recollection (and a old black and white photo dated 1978) the truck was red when he purchased it and said US Forestry Service on the doors but the truck has since been re-painted and obtains none of the origanal color or markings

any help on this or anyone else who had incountered any of these (or other) rare birds I would appreciate any info, Thanks
Tex_50613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Copo info?????

I have never heard of a 3/4 ton SWB 4x4 from 67-72. Do you have any pics?

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
70cst

Tex_50613 ... sounds like an interesting truck. It would be great to see pics and the paper work on this COPO truck. I have never seen a factory 3/4 4x4 SWB Stepper but then again I had never seen a 50th Stepside truck until recently but I now know they exist.
Glad to have you on board.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'd like to see documentation on this.
GM didn't make 3/4 ton SWB trucks, one tons with coils, nor one ton 4X4.
COPO could have done it, but I say highly unlikely.
An after production converson company couldd do this, and they did build a lot of trucks for the forestry department.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

For those of who don't know COPO stands for Centrel Office Production Order. There this truck may have been a special order for a dealership and may be one of a kind. I too would not believe unless I saw it with my own eyes. In these modern times Chevy will not build such special vehicles just for any dealership. But, 40 years ago Chevy would have done just about anything to outshine Ford or Dodge.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:30 AM   #6
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

never happend, sounds like he bought what ever he could get his hands on and swapped the rest out.

i have a 78, 4x4, 1 ton, bbc, 465, drw swb fleet, its in my drive way right now. every part on it is a gm peice save for 3. but gm didnt build it, i did. but you may not know it till i point every bit and trick out to you.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:50 AM   #7
Bob B.

Wow. I have not seen these trucks in person, so I certainly won't comment on them. However, I have seen a lot of these trucks over the years, many strange configurations, but I have never seen any 4X4 with coil rear springs. I don't believe I have ever seen a 1 ton with coils either. Same goes for a 1 ton 4X4. I think such a truck may not even have been a COPO, but would have been something a dealer or a truck body company did. COPO's were usually something like an option that was not normally available on a particular vehicle (a 427 in a '69 Camaro is a good example). That would be one weird truck. I hope you can post some pictures and a SPID or the first numbers of the VIN. Sounds really interesting.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Those sound like very interesting trucks.We really can`t say yay or nay about something we don`t know anything about.i have seen things done that don`t have documentation to support,otherwise known as exceptions.i`ve seen equipment listed in parts books that I`ve never known to exist on a truck.i`m sure the opposite could be true.We have all seen vehicles equipped with features that were not supposed to be available,like tow hooks only offered on with chrome from bumper according to GM.i`ve seen trucks with painted bumpers and tow hooks on the sPID,contrary to order books.
i know i`ve seen older Task master series trucks thatwere shortbed 3/4t trucks.I know you could have a short 3/4t NAPCO and I know I`ve had a`71 1t NAPCO that left the factory as a C/30.
i`d love to learn more about these trucks.i`m always willing to learn something new or find out that what I always thought is still true.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #9
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

the napcos truck are not factory by the title of napco. napco was a conversion company that did work for all the mfgs.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
Tex_50613

could they be NAPCO trucks and still ordered from GM direct? and have COPO on the papper work?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #11
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

My understanding of the COPO program was that it applied to production line stuff only.This doesn't mean that it did since some info on that is kind of sketchy.If the truck was a Napco then would it show that on the spid or would it have a Napco spid?
I've seen COPO trucks that were anything from paint choices to oddball options but have never seen a 4X4 short of any style from this era that was anything but a 1/2 ton.This doesn't mean they don't exist just that they are pretty rare.None of the literature I have mentions them either so I'm assuming they would have to be conversion companies or possibly aftermarket stuff.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

There was a guy from Newton Ia, that used to have a 69 K30 SWB truck. As I was told it was a napco and when the truck arrived at the dealership it was shorterned at the local dealer and they installed a same color SWB from another truck. This was a well off farmer and all their family's trucks were purchased from this dealership.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #13
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

The COPO program was exploited by a few dealers (Yenko, Baldwin, etc) to put big engines into cars that didn't have them as an "available option". It's actual intent was to supply fleets. Police cars, taxi cabs, Forrestry service, and even things like Coca-Cola delivery trucks were the biggest part of vehicles ordered that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tons of fun View Post
the napcos truck are not factory by the title of napco. napco was a conversion company that did work for all the mfgs.
I think we all know about NAPCOs.Like I said,I had one.Believe me,when you own one you set out to learn all about them.You get to know about everyone who deals with them when searching parts.This was way before I ever punched a computer keyboard.
At first NAPCOs were post factory conversions.Then,they could be ordered from GM and delivered as a factory truck with parts available through GM in the late`50s.But,they were NAPCO parts.Then,GM started building their own 4wd trucks.But,they didn`t make 1t 4wds.You had to go with a C/30 with a NAPCO conversion.I can`t say for a fact that you couldn`t order that truck from GM.I can`t call a guy out on doubt.So far,no one has proof one way or the other.
It`s like SLP Camaros and Firebirds.First you bought the car,gutted the drivetrain,and converted to one badass legal car that cost more than a Vette.Then GM and SLP got together and the SS and Firehawk were born as factory-built cars,but they were still SLPs.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-01-2009 at 09:32 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:51 PM   #15
68jewel
On the path to financial ruin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
It`s like SLP Camaros and Firebirds.First you bought the car,gutted the drivetrain,and converted to one badass legal car that cost more than a Vette.Then GM and SLP got together and the SS and Firehawk were born as factory-built cars,but they were still SLPs.
Hahahahahaha!!! I like that analogy. I especially understand it because I bought LS parts from SLP for my two 6.0 LS engines I'm putting together for my C10 and my Chevelle.

Ooh Wee's Makeover...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376280
68jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #16
gcsupraman

Look what I found! Obviously not sure it is original.....

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/1490643603.html
gcsupraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:41 AM   #17
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

You are probabaly going to get a lot of this: "That is a 1/2 ton with 3/4 ton axles."
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #18
Tex_50613

Cool will try to get more info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
There was a guy from Newton Ia, that used to have a 69 K30 SWB truck. As I was told it was a napco and when the truck arrived at the dealership it was shorterned at the local dealer and they installed a same color SWB from another truck. This was a well off farmer and all their family's trucks were purchased from this dealership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
You are probabaly going to get a lot of this: "That is a 1/2 ton with 3/4 ton axles."
that's what I thought at first but then he showed me the papperwork and order form from the dealership and papperwork from GM,
I am planning on going down and visiting the owner of these trucks during late season shotgun to go deer hunting and will try to remember to take pics of the truck and the specific oddball configurations along with the vin tags and the tags in the glove box, I will also see if he will let me take the documentation he has to the local libary and scan or copy it, also it was mentioned something about a oddball truck from Newton, IA.... I wonder if they came from the same dealership originally, Elery lived near Eddyville at the time of the purchase but I do not remember the dealership which he ordered the trucks from
Old 12-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #19
UltraBlue71

I wonder if anyone ever COPOed a 430HP 427 in one of these trucks? Now that would be cool
I highly doubt they would have ever done it...

71 LWB

Last edited by UltraBlue71; 12-02-2009 at 01:58 PM.
UltraBlue71 is offline   Reply With Quote