The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #1
ol Curt

Door Handles and Window crank Handles

I recently purchased a full set of these for a decent price. The catalog stated exactly as original. I did have one from a different vendor that was close, but not exact. The ones at GMC Pauls were stated as exactly like the originals. I found that to be true, They were really heavy and it was nearly impossible to tell the difference from my originals!

Just thought I would pass that on for any who might be ready to buy these.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
Ynotnow817

Re: Door Handles and Window crank Handles

Thanks for the tip. How do you remove the oringinals?
Ynotnow817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Thanks for the tip, it's hard to know which are good without actually buying them first.

As for removing the inside handles there is a set screw at the hub under the arm part of the handle. If it's original it has a straight slot type screw. A long thin screwdriver works best for removing or tightening.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
63deluxfleet

i need to buy some badd.. my passenger side doesnt catch idk if its the door part or the handle thats stripped.

.......THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS.....
63deluxfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63deluxfleet View Post
idk if its the door part or the handle thats stripped.
Unless the gearbox in the door is broken, it's probably the door handle itself. The splined shaft it attaches to is steel, while the handle is just pot metal. After years of operation while loose, torque against the toothed shaft has a tendency to chew the teeth out of the handle.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Ynotnow817

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
Thanks for the tip, it's hard to know which are good without actually buying them first.

As for removing the inside handles there is a set screw at the hub under the arm part of the handle. If it's original it has a straight slot type screw. A long thin screwdriver works best for removing or tightening.
Thanks, I'll look tomorrow.
Ynotnow817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:51 PM   #7
LILRED66
Account Suspended

Interesting timing...I just pulled a nice shiny chrome aftermarket interior door handle from my door handle bin this afternoon and quickly noticed how much heavier it was, even compared to the originals. It didn't have any identifying marks on it, so I thought, this must be a good-ole "Made In USA" part, only to find a small label stating "Made in Taiwan". I wish I knew where it came from, because it was, by far, the nicest reproduction interior door handle I have ever seen...I have over 50+ originals in a bin and it is superior to all of them.

Back on the subject, thanks for the heads up ol curt. I will keep this in mind for the future.

Last edited by LILRED66; 12-03-2009 at 11:53 PM.
LILRED66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:28 AM   #8
63deluxfleet

haha u guyz gave me the bug.. i broke down and bought a set, i also bought the cig lighter wire, and dome light lens. ill let u guyz know how it goes when i get em

.......THE ROAD TO HELL IS PAVED WITH GOOD INTENTIONS.....
63deluxfleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #9
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post

I did find that one of these had a phillips and the other slotted like my originals. The other one I bought used and allen wrench.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:57 PM   #10
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LILRED66 View Post
Interesting timing...I just pulled a nice shiny chrome aftermarket interior door handle from my door handle bin this afternoon and quickly noticed how much heavier it was, even compared to the originals. It didn't have any identifying marks on it, so I thought, this must be a good-ole "Made In USA" part, only to find a small label stating "Made in Taiwan". I wish I knew where it came from, because it was, by far, the nicest reproduction interior door handle I have ever seen...I have over 50+ originals in a bin and it is superior to all of them.

Back on the subject, thanks for the heads up ol curt. I will keep this in mind for the future.
I have to admit these said they were made over seas as well, but they are VERY heavy like the originals.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:58 PM   #11
ol Curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63deluxfleet View Post
haha u guyz gave me the bug.. i broke down and bought a set, i also bought the cig lighter wire, and dome light lens. ill let u guyz know how it goes when i get em
Yeah, I would like to buy a lighter that allows my light to be hooked up to it. Somebody sells those original style with the slot for the light. I think it may have been Jim Carter where I saw those.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #12
Rich 5150 69

I had bought the left hand window crank assembly and handle for my truck, they both matched the originals and felt heavy the only problem I encountered was the handle fitment was sloppy, I used a piece of aluminum foil which tightened it up its been a year now and still tight. Eventually want to install power windows, I`ve already installed finger pulls to replace door handles.
Attached Images

`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote