The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #1
lester622

Gauge problems

I posted in the electrical part of the forum but no answers in there.

The fuel gauge in my truck reads a 1/4 off, as in empty is at 1/4 of a tank, i have no idea why. The previouse owner added a second tank and a toggle switch i have since removed the second tank but left the toggle switch since I havnt had time to search how its wired in since wires run from front to back on this thing. What would be a reason for the gauge to be off by a 1/4?

Also the water temp guage does not read correctly it moves but only goes up a small amount, the oil pressure guage comes on and pegs out but sometimes moves back down.

I changed clusters to make sure the guages werent off but with this cluster it still reads the same.

Im guessing maybe the senders are bad for the water temp and oil pressure but im not really sure, has this happened to anybody else?

Last edited by lester622; 12-08-2009 at 02:38 AM.
lester622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
78-5.3

Re: Gauge problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by lester622 View Post
I posted in the electrical part of the forum but no answers in there.

The fuel gauge in my truck reads a 1/4 off, as in empty is at 1/4 of a tank, i have no idea why. The previouse owner added a second tank and a toggle switch i have since removed the second tank but left the toggle switch since I havnt had time to search how its wired in since wires run from front to back on this thing. What would be a reason for the gauge to be off by a 1/4?

Also the water temp guage does not read correctly it moves but only goes up a small amount, the oil pressure guage comes on and pegs out but sometimes moves back down.

I changed clusters to make sure the guages werent off but with this cluster it still reads the same.

Im guessing maybe the senders are bad for the water temp and oil pressure but im not really sure, has this happened to anybody else?
for the price of a oil sender i would it change and see if thats the problem then if so the same for the temp i had a problem with grounds on mine
78-5.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #3
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Wink Re: Gauge problems

hi you didn't say if the tank was bone dry,or enough to start truck.

1.CHECK GROUNDS-old high school trick......shorting the sensor wire to ground,
tank reads empty,disconected reads full........can't drive everybody home from school with no gas eh.
2.When you have your tank out bend the float up so the tank still has 1/4 in it when reads empty,not done bent right would set the gauge off(this always leaves a 1/4 tank of gas in there(only you know,lol ok everyone does now)(this works up north to prevent frozen gas lines too)
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
lester622

Re: Gauge problems

The gas tank is bone dry when it hits 1/4 of a tank, i hate to pull the tank to see if the float is bent, but never gave that a thought so im guessing thats the problem.

ill check the grounds today and see if that works.
lester622 is offline   Reply With Quote