The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-07-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
dj's70c-10

Separating the idler arm and the centerlink

I am converting the drum brake's up on my 70 C-10 to disk brakes with the parts off a 72. It all went well up to the point of seperating the idler arm and the center link. Is there a technique that works that will not do collateral damage to the steering gear? I am using a pickle fork to seperate the two and have driven the fork with a sledge hammer about as hard as think I can before I might damage the steering gear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Separating the idler arm and the centerlink

One of the tricks that you can use is using two hammers, (2 lb.). Hold one hammer against one side of the pitman arm at the joint and smack the other side with the other hammer. It helps to have a helper.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
leddzepp

I used this new tool from Harbor Freight. It works awesome and was $10. See my build thread for other applications.
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
profe56

wow LEDDZEPP: this monday afternoon I´ve been bore because I can do nothing due to heavy rains
but I´m really surprised for that tool. About six months ago I did drum todisc brake conversion but is not totally completed, I only changed from outer tie rods to upper control arms now will be more easy for me changing the centerlink, pitman and idler arm as well as iner tie rods, rightnow I have inner 67-70 and outer 73-87 and both are different size.
Alsp how calculate gear ratio at rearends.
Excellent Job!!!!!
thanks
profe56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 AM   #5
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

wat?
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
westofb
I really hate wet sanding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj's70c-10 View Post
I am converting the drum brake's up on my 70 C-10 to disk brakes with the parts off a 72. It all went well up to the point of seperating the idler arm and the center link. Is there a technique that works that will not do collateral damage to the steering gear? I am using a pickle fork to seperate the two and have driven the fork with a sledge hammer about as hard as think I can before I might damage the steering gear. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
are you trying to remove the idler arm or pitman arm? The idler arm is attached to the drag link on the passenger side, the pitman arm is on the drivers side attached to the steering box. It sounds like you are maybe trying to remove the pitman arm, if so I doubt the pickle fork is going to work out, you need to go to parts store and get a pitman arm puller. If they wont loan you one, buy it, use it, clean it up and return for a refund when you are done.

68 C-10
75 C-20, now a C-10!
10 F-150
westofb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by westofb View Post
are you trying to remove the idler arm or pitman arm? The idler arm is attached to the drag link on the passenger side, the pitman arm is on the drivers side attached to the steering box. It sounds like you are maybe trying to remove the pitman arm, if so I doubt the pickle fork is going to work out, you need to go to parts store and get a pitman arm puller. If they wont loan you one, buy it, use it, clean it up and return for a refund when you are done.
I thought the same thing too...but I have not seen a picklefork that would fit around the pitman shaft, so I am guessing he is talking about the idler arm.

If you are trying to separate the pitman arm from the steering box, you need the tool westofb has described to press it off.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by profe56 View Post
wow LEDDZEPP: this monday afternoon I´ve been bore because I can do nothing due to heavy rains
but I´m really surprised for that tool. About six months ago I did drum todisc brake conversion but is not totally completed, I only changed from outer tie rods to upper control arms now will be more easy for me changing the centerlink, pitman and idler arm as well as iner tie rods, rightnow I have inner 67-70 and outer 73-87 and both are different size.
Alsp how calculate gear ratio at rearends.
Excellent Job!!!!!
thanks

As far as the gear ratio there is a code stamped on the rear end housing (see pics) after you find the code go here and look it up in the axle section.

http://www.americanclassic.com/paint_test.asp

You only need to use the first two or three letters of the code from your rear housing (depending on what year it is). In the picture of mine the letters you would use are TDE.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Ackattack

try a pitman arm puller from autozone

Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
dj's70c-10

Thanks for the info guys. Yes, I was referring to the pitman arm. I went to Auto Zone this morning, purchased a pitman arm puller for $14.99, soaked the gear splines with PB Blaster, attached the puller, smacked the center link a couple of times with a hammer and off came the pitman arm with only a little effort. This web site is awsome!!!!