The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2009, 01:08 AM   #1
tonypaul

anyone put in a camaro clip (suspension)?

Or any other suspension clip from another car or truck like a s10. My front end still has the 6 lug drum brakes and everything needs replaced. A few years ago I built a prostreet S10 (like everyone else), the first engine was just little 383. I had the 10 bolt s10 rearend completly redone with Moser axles, a new posi unit and new 3.73 gears, ect, spent like $1100.00 in parts. I only used it for about 1 summer, that winter I went to a 431 small block and back halfed the truck with a 9". I still have the 10 bolt rear end and sold the prostreet truck last year. I want to put my 10 bolt in my 1968 Gmc, its a leaf springed already anyway. More than likely just move in the mounts. But I was thinking about putting a frontclip from a camaro or s10 truck. Just fab in the whole front half frame. That way I could get me disc brakes up front, plus just rebuild the camaro suspension with some good parts. I could also convert the rears to disc if I wanted, but doubt I would do it. And get a nice tubbed rear look at the same time. But back to the front again, I have had some friends put camaro clips up front in their old truck projects, mostly old ford trucks from the 1950s. But just wanting to know if anyone has done this? It sure would open up the wheel selection some...
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
ERASER5

Re: anyone put in a camaro clip (suspension)?

If you do use the Camero parts and the S10 parts, you would have done a LOT of work. Have something no one else has. And no one but you will ever see it. Your truck. Your time. Your money. Do with it what you want to.

That being said, some have used Camaro front frames, but unless it was from the last generation, there is very little value compared to other options. The last gen Camaro had some improved suspension designs. The older versions will only get you lower with stock parts.

If all you want is disc brakes up front, any 73-87 C10 front end will swap. You can even swap the entire cradle with the entire suspension intact. There are a whole bunch of us that have done this swap.

As for swapping replacing a 12 bolt with a 10 bolt, sure you could. Is your 12 broken? Is the 10 bolt a posi and the 12 bolt not? Disc kits and 5 lug axles can be had from several site vendors.

Good luck and keep us posted.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

I never considered it.The designs are pretty much the same.So,nothing gained except an under-rated suspension that doesn`t fit.It won`t handle any better.Besides,with all the GM trucks built from`71-up there`s plenty of truck front ends to work with.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I kinda agree with above comments. There are tons of aftermarket parts available for our trucks like lowered spindles, disc brake kits, etc. Unless you just want to do it there's no real reason for it.

On those old Fords, Chevy's and others from the 50's and earlier most of the suspension was different (and stiffer) than the vehicles of the 60's on up. A lot of them if not most did not have coil suspension or power steering. Parts are not as available as the newer 60's and later vehicles.

But the reason I say "kinda" is that it's a choice thing not a necessity thing. If you have the time and expertise, money and the parts, go for it...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
71tahoe

That's a lot of work just to get to use a rear end you happen to have laying around. About $700 will get you 6-lug rotors, calipers, pads, drop spindles, upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends plus maybe a booster and MC.

You can then re-use the wheels you already have if they will fit disc brakes in the front.
71tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #6
tonypaul

The main reasons for the swaps on the rear is that I can get that narrowed look that I want with out having to narrow the existing rear end. Plus changes my bolt pattern to a very common 5 lug pattern that opens up my choices in getting some 20+" rims that will fit the narrowed look. Also its all brand new posi unit, gears, seals, axles with less than 1000 miles on it. To replace all the worn companotes in my rear now will cost far greater than to just do a mini backhalf job on the frame rails.

By puting on a camaro or s10 front clip, I now will have the same bolt pattern as the rear. That way I can can use the same spare for front and back. I can run the tires in a little deeper and yet still run a good size rim. I can get some really nice large disc rotors and good suspension parts for camaro clip for the same as or less than what it will cost to convert the 6 lug drums.

To me it makes all the sense in the world to me, thats why I was wondering if anyone else has do it already and how they liked the outcome......

Thanks for the comments...
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote