The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2009, 02:16 PM   #1
hobsiscool

New Project

I have a 81 GMC, and a 89 Chevy...the 89 has A/C and a 350 in it, and the 81 has a busted up inline 6...i've been attempting to get the inline working but it's not happening, it's just one thing after another...at this point I've decided I want to use the engine out of the 89 and any other salvageable parts...my question is 1)Is everything I need to do the swap already on the 89, I'd just have to move it over? 2)Can I make the A/C in the 89 work in the 81, and 3) What, if anything else is usable from the 89? I plan on using the bed of the 89 to make a trailer and then whatever is left over, part out/scrap...at this time, I haven't started on anything so no pictures, but whenever I do, I will post em up.
hobsiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Re: New Project

The later 350 has a 1 piece rear main, so you may need a different flywheel/flexplate if you use it with the older transmission. I don't know if the transmission in the newer truck can be used. If it is electronic, probably not.

If you plan to convert the nbewer engine backto a carb, I think they use different intakes. Earlier intakes can be used on the later engines, but you have to modify them slightly. I have never done it, but I have an aluminum Edelbrock that was modified that way.

I can't think of any reason you can't use the newer A/C compressor and brackets in the older tuck. You may have to extend or shorten some wire, and you'll probably need to have custom hoses made, though.

Slonaker
Old 12-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
ghettoluxury

If I were going to do this I would pull everything down to the wiring harness and transfer it over to the 81 since the truck will end up in the scrapyard. Modifications will need to be made to use the a/c but anything is possible.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #4
hobsiscool

The 81 is a 3 Speed, the 89 is an automatic...so you don't know if the tranny will work in the 81? I planned on just pulling out the whole harness and using it...and I don't plan on going to carb or anything on the 350...at least anytime soon...right now my motto is going to be if it ain't broke don't fix it lol...well my 81 is broke, so I need to fix it...the 89 just sits so it's a perfect candidate...I'm wondering what I might need to replace/fix on the 89 A/C...the blower works and everything, but the air isn't cold...new compressor? Not sure what needs to be done...any ideas?
Old 12-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
munger

the 89 is tbi so if you keep it you need tank fuel return lines
Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
BIG10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoluxury View Post
If I were going to do this I would pull everything down to the wiring harness and transfer it over to the 81 since the truck will end up in the scrapyard. Modifications will need to be made to use the a/c but anything is possible.
I agree. Move everything, including the harness, TBI and newer trans (if useable).

1978 Big 10 Silverado, 355 + 700R4 + 3.42 + factory tach + A/C + dual tanks + working cruise control = awesome highway cruiser.
BIG10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:32 PM   #7
ghettoluxury

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobsiscool View Post
The 81 is a 3 Speed, the 89 is an automatic...so you don't know if the tranny will work in the 81? I planned on just pulling out the whole harness and using it...and I don't plan on going to carb or anything on the 350...at least anytime soon...right now my motto is going to be if it ain't broke don't fix it lol...well my 81 is broke, so I need to fix it...the 89 just sits so it's a perfect candidate...I'm wondering what I might need to replace/fix on the 89 A/C...the blower works and everything, but the air isn't cold...new compressor? Not sure what needs to be done...any ideas?
It will work you will either have to change your column or put a floor shifter in.
And with pulling the harness you wont have to wory aboutthe auto tranny not shifting because you will have the computer that controls it.

1949 Five Window, 1973 Step Side, 2000 Z71
ghettoluxury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
hobsiscool

Well the 89 already had been converted to a floor shift as it used to be manual trans...it has a rebuilt motor/trans in it...and the 81 was converted to floor shift as well...i'll probably steal the column from the 89 as it is tilt and the 81 has the stick on the tree still there that is useless...so good to know that the swap sounds very feasible...is there anyone in the Birmingham area willing to help
Old 12-10-2009, 12:27 PM   #9
hobsiscool

bump...any word on what to check first to figure out why the A/C isn't cold...it's never been cold, even after it was charged at one time...I know all the various parts, I just don't really know how they work with each other so I'm not sure which to check/replace/clean...any help is much appreciated.