The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 PM   #1
DT1

New Guy Here with Comments and Q's

Hi everyone. I have a 71 C-10 Cheyenne that I'm in the process of restoring. After seeing all of the posted pictures of your trucks, I know I have to work hard to achieve the level of perfection most of you have obtained. This is not my first restoration but it promises to be one of the most challenging. At first it started to be a simple paint job but as always, (especially after seeing your trucks) I'm going to try to set my standards much higher. I can afford to take as much time as I need to produce the level of eye candy that most of you have. After all, this is the one vehicle that I most love to drive and it gets driven every time I have absolutely no place to go.
My question is about the side and back molding. I took great pains to message it back to original. After checking out some of the pictures of the side molding top pieces, I realize that they were painted improperly, so I'll have to redo them. After paint, I plan to re-install it myself. This is where I'm nervous. Any tips on how to go about it without scratching the hell out of the new paint would be greatly appreciated.

DT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:48 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: New Guy Here with Comments and Q's

-
I re-installed the trim on this truck by myself and didn't have any problem. The wife helped me on a couple of the long bed pieces though. On mine there was a hole in the bed at the front and back and the clips in between were stick on. If the trim is straight it is pretty easy. Naturally it would be nice to have help with it...

Nice job on the trim by the way.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-08-2009 at 01:50 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
420am

Damn. You restored that trim? If so, you did a great job. I can't wait to see the rest of this truck!

Waste my bandwidth and listen to some great tunes >> http://www.radioxenu.com (Live Shows with yours truly every Friday)
420am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #4
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420am View Post
Damn. You restored that trim? If so, you did a great job. I can't wait to see the rest of this truck!
Yea, It was more of a challenge than anything else. I was thinking about replacing it with the reproduction stuff but I have yet to find any Repro part that fit properly. Nobody in my neck of the woods was willing to tackle it, so I did it my self.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
420am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
Yea, It was more of a challenge than anything else. I was thinking about replacing it with the reproduction stuff but I have yet to find any Repro part that fit properly. Nobody in my neck of the woods was willing to tackle it, so I did it my self.
Did you use the write-up here on restoring it or did you just do your own thing? I'd love to see a write up of how you did it if you did your own thing. That looks great and I have a lot of trim to re-work myself.

Waste my bandwidth and listen to some great tunes >> http://www.radioxenu.com (Live Shows with yours truly every Friday)
Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
DT1

Quote:
Did you use the write-up here on restoring it or did you just do your own thing? I'd love to see a write up of how you did it if you did your own thing. That looks great and I have a lot of trim to re-work myself.
I don't know anything about a writeup. I stripped the anodizing with a 10-1 mix of sodium hydroxide and water then used a regular window screen roller to gently push out the minor dents. On the bigger dents I used a formed plastic bar to tap and finish with the roller. It was sanded smooth with one of those Sonicrafters that you see on TV and buffed with black cutting compound and a denim wheel. I sent it out to a local shop to re-anodize and then i used SEM trim paint and replacement wood grain tape from LMC.
Here's a picture of the grill after stripping, removing dents/pits and scotchbrite. I'll buff this weekend and send to the anodizer.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
420am

If you don't mind my asking.. how much will it cost to re-anodize the outer grill you have there?

Last edited by 420am; 12-08-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
DT1

Quote:
If you don't mind my asking.. how much will it cost to re-anodize the outer grill you have there?
Not sure yet but I think around $120.
I know I can buy a Repro for less than what I'll have into it but like I stated before. The China-Miss-Alina that comes from aftermarket suppliers is sub standard.

If anyone has another opinion on quality/fitment of the aftermarket stuff, feel free to chime in.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
big_al_71

Welcome from Miami....those moldings look awesome....I look forward to seeing the rest of your build...

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
DT1

Oh yea,
If you can't afford the anodizing, you can also apply a good quality grade of automotive clear coat. I've done this before and am impressed with the durability.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
jd4300fel

welcome t o the board the trim looks great!

Friend of Bill W
jd4300fel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:44 PM   #12
68_Step

Wow... that trim work makes we want to go home and hide my grill Excellent job.
68_Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
OldSkool71
C/10 CLUB MEMBER

great work...where r u in cali?...im in socal area and im always willing to help out a fellow member...oh yeah and welcome to the best site on the web...make sure you become a site supporter to really take advantage of all this site has to offer...

Last edited by OldSkool71; 12-08-2009 at 06:43 PM.
OldSkool71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #14
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkool71 View Post
great work...where r u in cali?...im in socal area and im always willing to help out a fellow member...oh yeah and welcome to the best site on the web...make sure you become a site supporter to really take advantage of all this site has to offer...
I'm in So Cal also...Lancaster
Old 12-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #15
mclairmo

That is the nicest home restoration of trim I have ever seen. Just awesome.
mclairmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT1 View Post
Hi everyone. I have a 71 C-10 Cheyenne that I'm in the process of restoring. After seeing all of the posted pictures of your trucks, I know I have to work hard to achieve the level of perfection most of you have obtained. This is not my first restoration but it promises to be one of the most challenging. At first it started to be a simple paint job but as always, (especially after seeing your trucks) I'm going to try to set my standards much higher. I can afford to take as much time as I need to produce the level of eye candy that most of you have. After all, this is the one vehicle that I most love to drive and it gets driven every time I have absolutely no place to go.
My question is about the side and back molding. I took great pains to message it back to original. After checking out some of the pictures of the side molding top pieces, I realize that they were painted improperly, so I'll have to redo them. After paint, I plan to re-install it myself. This is where I'm nervous. Any tips on how to go about it without scratching the hell out of the new paint would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have an answer to your original question. Maybe another member can help??
Just wanted to say WELCOME and THANK YOU for choosing to support the board by becoming a "subscribing member" today.

Your work on that trim is amazing!
I'd like to see the rest of your project!

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 12-08-2009 at 07:55 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #17
special-K
Special Order

First of all...Welcome to the site from Maryland.Like all else have said,you did a great job on the trim.I like your idea of using as much of the original vehicle as possible in a restoration.Or,at least,original parts.

If you`re shakey about the paint you could always mask it to just inside the line of the trim.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 12-09-2009 at 09:35 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #18
DT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
First of all...Welcome to the site from Maryland.Like all else have said,you did a great job on the trim.I like your idea of using as much of the original vehicle as possible in a restoration.Or,at least,original parts.

If you`re shakey about the paint you could always mask it to just inside the line of the trim.
Now that's a good idea. And I have just the right kind of tape to do it.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #19
Murphy IRE

Wow, I'll need to get back with you in the late spring. I have a K20 Cheyenne and I need to repaint it and do the trim. I found the original delivery sheet and the truck was originaly a two tone white/olive package.
Murphy IRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #20
tcb-1
Nothing to see here.....

that trim make me want to cry. that is beeeeeeeautiful work!!!!

and Welcome aboard from Shawnee, KS!

THANK YOU to our American Soldiers & Veterans - POW MIA "You will NEVER be forgotten".

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson
tcb-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:52 PM   #21
leddzepp

Welcome from So Cal. Good to have another local on the board! I restored my trim a while back, and did exactly as you did. I did not have it re-anodized, but used the clear coat instead, and I have been very happy with it so far. It is not as difficult as it looks, just takes a little time. Excellent job on yours!

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
RIP FleetsidePaul
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:59 PM   #22
big mike71

Hell of a job on the trim.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:00 AM   #23
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

man, that trim is sweet! like eye candy.

screen spine roller huh? I never thought of rolling dents out but it makes sense.

as for installing it, could you use some of the low-stick blue tape to protect the paint?
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote