The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #26
BossHogg69
motor exploder

Re: My 67 Build Thread

Looks like you have a pretty well equipped shop!

1969 Chevy CST/10 stepside, DART Big M/TREMEC Magnum Extreme/3.73's w/Detroit Truetrac
1965 Chevy Bel Air Wagon (daily driver), 327/TH350,10 bolt w/3.08's
1961 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe, ZZ454/M21/9" rear w/3.50's & Detroit Truetrac
2005 GMC 1500 ccsb 2wd, 6.0L/4L65e/3.73 G80
2006 GMC 2500HD ccsb 4x4, DMax LBZ/Allison 6spd/4.56's w/Detroit TrueTrac

Use the SEARCH function on this forum - it is your friend!!
BossHogg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #27
Test Pilot

Quote:
Suspension:
Complete Ridetech Strong Arms Kit
this thing is beautiful and a breeze to install.
Early Classic Drop Spindles and Front 5 Lug Disc Kit also a very choice piece.
Ridetech Front Sway Bar
Splined Rear Sway Bar (still in the works)
Have you made any progress on a splined sway bar yet?

I've found all of the parts that I'd likely use and this actually could be a minimal fab install depending on how far you want to take it. I still need to take some measurments.
Test Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #28
nds1968

I like! Subscribed

1967 short fleet Project Blue Goose
'If it don't bounce back... heeheehee you go hungry!" Blues Brothers
nds1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #29
rickygee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test Pilot View Post
Have you made any progress on a splined sway bar yet?

I've found all of the parts that I'd likely use and this actually could be a minimal fab install depending on how far you want to take it. I still need to take some measurments.

I have not made much progress in that department. However i know optimally it is good to extend sway bar 3" past frame. Stock Frame is around 39" so 45" would be perfect. I found an off the shelf piece 45" here http://www.kartek.com/Product/Suspension/SwayBars.html
They Should be pretty Bullet proof if they serve baja style duty.
Additionally Speedway engineering Can Make Just about anything.
Although i can make this piece i think my time would be better spent doing other things to get the truck done if there's a part in production already that will fit my needs and is realistically priced.

Last edited by rickygee; 12-17-2009 at 10:05 PM. Reason: bad math
rickygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:16 PM   #30
Test Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickygee View Post
I have not made much progress in that department. However i know optimally it is good to extend sway bar 3" past frame. Stock Frame is around 39" so 45" would be perfect. I found an off the shelf piece 45" here http://www.kartek.com/Product/Suspension/SwayBars.html
They Should be pretty Bullet proof if they serve baja style duty.
Additionally Speedway engineering Can Make Just about anything.
Although i can make this piece i think my time would be better spent doing other things if there's a part in production already that will fit my needs.
What is optimum about extending past the frame 3"?, just due to the width of a mounting point on the frame or are you just allowing for clearance + thickness of the arms? I'm not disagreeing, 3" seems bout right. I was just curious if you had ran some math on the loads and so forth.

I used to work at Detroit Speed. Below is a shot of one of the hydro formed sumbrames we built for Camaro's. They have splined bars that have arms that are cusom bent. Speedway Engineering offers 3.25 offset arms, or they can custom bend them. My plan was to see if the production run arms would work, if not make a mock up piece out of wood or an aluminum flat stock and have them make one to match.
These guys have a lot of sway bar parts as well. http://www.schroedersteering.com

Last edited by Test Pilot; 12-17-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:32 PM   #31
rickygee

Quote:
What is optimum about extending past the frame 3"?, just due to the width of a mounting point on the frame or are you just allowing for clearance + thickness of the arms? I'm not disagreeing, 3" seems bout right. I was just curious if you had ran some math on the loads and so forth.

I used to work at Detroit Speed. Below is a shot of one of the hydro formed sumbrames we built for Camaro's. They have splined bars that have arms that are cusom bent. Speedway Engineering offers 3.25 offset arms, or they can custom bend them. My plan was to see if the production run arms would work, if not make a mock up piece out of wood or an aluminum flat stock and have them make one to match.
Ahh Yes Good Ole DSE Very Nice Pieces Kyle and Stacy Are Good People too.
They are occasional customers of my dad's.
The Big thing with extending past the frame is to keep the widest stance possible. the "bar" itself can be any reasonable length and with offset arms it will make up the difference. i am assuming they are using the offset for the extra stance and in order to keep out of the way and aesthetics.

Last edited by rickygee; 12-17-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #32
Test Pilot

Quote:
Ahh Yes Good Ole DSE Very Nice Pieces Kyle and Stacy Are Good People too.
They are occasional customers of my dad's.
The Big thing with extending past the frame is to keep the widest stance possible. the "bar" itself can be any reasonable length and with offset arms it will make up the difference. i am assuming they are using the offset for the extra stance and in order to keep out of the way and aesthetics.
Agreed. Another reason for the bent arms is tire clearance. 69 and 70-81 Camaros with a DSE subframe can run a 18x10 wheel with a 275/35 tire. Keeping the arm tucked close the frame is part of what let that happens.
I was hoping to be able to stick with a 37.5" bar since it seem to be most common from the various stock car manufacturers. This way if a rate change is needed it's not a one off piece. At minimum I'll probably do a lot of auto crossing in my truck, but my real goal is to make is perform respectable on a road course. I've been an instructor for about 5 years now, I've wanted a truck for the track for quite a while now, at the very least I'll ahve a truck that is fun on the back roads.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #33
rickygee

Quote:
Agreed. Another reason for the bent arms is tire clearance. 69 and 70-81 Camaros with a DSE subframe can run a 18x10 wheel with a 275/35 tire. Keeping the arm tucked close the frame is part of what let that happens.
I was hoping to be able to stick with a 37.5" bar since it seem to be most common from the various stock car manufacturers. This way if a rate change is needed it's not a one off piece. At minimum I'll probably do a lot of auto crossing in my truck, but my real goal is to make is perform respectable on a road course. I've been an instructor for about 5 years now, I've wanted a truck for the track for quite a while now, at the very least I'll ahve a truck that is fun on the back roads.
That's exactly what im shooting for. Just a nice fun driver that'l turn some heads for a "junky" looking old truck. I have a '90 that i would like to do a tube chassis road race truck build with. it would be fun to do the one lap of America in a truck.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #34
Test Pilot

Quote:
That's exactly what im shooting for. Just a nice fun driver that'l turn some heads for a "junky" looking old truck. I have a '90 that i would like to do a tube chassis road race truck build with. it would be fun to do the one lap of America in a truck.
I agree on the One Lap. There has been successful trucks do it in past
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tenders_page_6

I was also considering something like the Silver State Challenge. Back in the late 90s there was a guy who had a 48 Ford F1 on Lincoln chassis with a 460 and a 4 speed. He was reported to have reached 150 on multiple occasons.