The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #1
TDS-MN

Question Brake parts guidance - k-10

Hey All,

Nearing time to put some new rotors on the front of the 85 k-10. I have not actually done this particular job on this truck before, but have plenty of brake experience from my other vehicles.

I am a little confused as I was shopping rotors via O'Reilly.com, and they offer "rotor only" and "hub and rotor".

How would I know which I would need for my application? I have the manual locking hubs, and it does appear as if the tube or housing could be one-piece, with the rotor itself. But it is difficult to tell for sure, and I would like to be able to order parts and have EVERYTHING on-hand when I start the job, as I might need the truck as my daily driver when I do get around to this task.

Who has a lot of experience with brakes on these trucks, and could give me some tips or things that I can check to confirm which parts woudl suit my needs?

I did just slap some new pads on these same rotors a while ago, when the brakes started to make noise, just as a 'quick-fix', and now it's time to do the job correctly, as I might need to get in there and replace the front axle u-joints too, as I had a shop tell me they thought they were bad. I need to confirm THAT diagnosis on my own first, but I'm stuck on the rotor choice, and would appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks!
'85 K-10 w/ 305, 700r4, np208, and RUST!
SOLD Dec 2014
TDS-MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Re: Brake parts guidance - k-10

First off. Go with NAPA. American made parts. Support the USA!

You dont need the hub, just the rotor. The hub is the outside piece. The rotor is the inside piece, it is a 2 piece unit.

As for the axle u-joints. I'd replace them if I were you, just for the hell of it, they are 24 years old. They may not be bad, but they will be soon. And if the axle is rusty, spray WD-40 on the rust and put it all back together, that way it helps keep the water out.

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
TDS-MN

Ok, so it is indeed a 2-piece rotor/hub. Thought so, but was having a hard time confirming on my truck.

Understand what you say about the axle u-joints, but they are really only about 6-8 years old, had them done a while ago. I have my doubts that they are actually bad, and want to visually inspect them before deciding what to do. But knowing that, while I have the brakes off and all that, it would be the right time to do that job if needed. A task that I'll need to crack the book open for to see how involved that really is.

I have a NAPA not too far from home, but haven't purchased much from them. Will give that some consideration, just that I drive past 3 o'reilly and one autozone to get there, so I usually don't go that far. laziness is my only excuse.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate it!!!
SOLD Dec 2014
Old 12-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
72 CustomCamper
huh ???

If you tap out the wheel studs the rotor and hub will seperate...

Chuck

"I am a bomb technician. If you see me running try to keep up!"
72 CustomCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #5
TDS-MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 CustomCamper View Post
If you tap out the wheel studs the rotor and hub will seperate...

Chuck
Thanks, Chuck. When I last put the pads on the old rotors it was getting dark and I was working sitting in the driveway, I know, NOT the best time to be doing a brake job. My half-hearted effort was not showing me a way to separate the 2 pieces. Glad to hear that I will be able to just pull the rotors off and replace, without necessarily needing to disturb the hub assembly.

Now I have to determine if my axle u-joints are OK or if I need to replace those while I have things apart. May get a chance to look at those this weekend.
SOLD Dec 2014
Old 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS-MN View Post
Thanks, Chuck. When I last put the pads on the old rotors it was getting dark and I was working sitting in the driveway, I know, NOT the best time to be doing a brake job. My half-hearted effort was not showing me a way to separate the 2 pieces. Glad to hear that I will be able to just pull the rotors off and replace, without necessarily needing to disturb the hub assembly.

Now I have to determine if my axle u-joints are OK or if I need to replace those while I have things apart. May get a chance to look at those this weekend.
As I recall, you have to disassemble the entire front hub. You will need a special tool. It looks like a big socket with 4 out prongs. And, I did forget that you need to "pound out" the studs to separate the hub and rotor. It is quite a job. But well worth it. You may as well get all new seals and gaskets for the hub. You have to take it apart anyway. And check your wheel bearings while down there.

You axle u-joints. You can tell if they are bad by seeing if they have any "play" in them. If there is any jiggle, knock, or click. If they do none of those, then you're good!

Have you ever taken apart the hub all the way?

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:48 AM   #7
TDS-MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdstreettito View Post

You axle u-joints. You can tell if they are bad by seeing if they have any "play" in them. If there is any jiggle, knock, or click. If they do none of those, then you're good!

Have you ever taken apart the hub all the way?
Yes, have had all of the layer upon layer of the hub pieces out, and have the special socket tool as well. I'm wondering if I didn't maybe even do the whole brake job one of those times I had the hub and bearings apart. Can't recall how long ago that might have been even.

Looking forward to confirming the status of my axle u-joints as well.

As a 2-WD truck, it's not that great on our snow-packed roads, since I'm not carrying any weight in the bed. 4-WD turns it into a monster, LOL!!!!
SOLD Dec 2014