The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #26
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Re: Major headlight upgrade for GMC trucks

i didn't mean higher as in aimed higher, i meant that a low/hi beam single light's hi beam setting is brighter than a light that is just meant for hi-beams as on a quad setup. So the mechanics were inferring that the difference between dual and quad headlight setups is negligible.

Last edited by C-10 simplex; 12-20-2009 at 11:05 PM.
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:24 PM   #27
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblind View Post
Isn't the stock set up 4 x high beam and then 2 x on low beam? That's how my Jimmy is and the wiring looks unmolested?
Yep but it could easily be wired for two low. four high or four low/four high.

All it would take is Two three prong sockets, two extra high beams, a relay to run the inside low beams when you wanted them on and a switch to activate the relay. The power side of the relay would be wired into the low beam circuit. I'd suggest high and low beam relays though to make sure that the extra amps. Plus any lights that throw out extra light would draw more amps.

The lights in my 71 run H-4 bulbs and throw good light but tend to eat dimmer switches.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #28
snowblind

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
i didn't mean higher as in aimed higher, i meant that a low/hi beam single light's hi beam setting is brighter than a light that is just meant for hi-beams as on a quad setup. So the mechanics were inferring that the difference between dual and quad headlight setups is negligible.
Stocker said it well in his post. All things being equal (which they aren't ) the 4 headlight high beam will be superior to the slightly larger 2 light high beam because the extra headlight can have dedicated reflector, bulb and aiming. The difference may be minimal with stock headlights and wiring but could be considerable depending on upgrades.

Of course my goal is low beam performance but I don't think I'll have to sacrifice too much high beam performance to get it. Having 4 headlights means that you can still aim the outboard pair wide for cornering and inboard pair narrow and up the road. It's still a compromise but less of a compromise than with 2 headlights.

I'm going to get a final quote this week and I'll post the price. I know it's going to be more than I could DIY but it will be way cleaner also. I've also been impressed by all the Hella lighting I've purchased in the past including a similar upgrade to this but with rectangular sealed beams.

'72 Jimmy Build
snowblind is offline   Reply With Quote