The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
evilways

Fuel pump question 283ci with story

It was in the low 30s this morning and my truck started for a second ran the gas out of the carbs and died, no fuel pumping from the pump at all. Tried some starter fluid and still nothing, so I left it and got a ride to work thinking maybe with the warmer temps (35deg.) in the afternoon she would start right up since it has been in the low teens and never had a problem starting. Well getting home she still would not start; I took of the fuel line to the carb and no fuel flowing during crank. So I had my friend spray some starter fluid and after a couple times still nothing, so I did one more big spray and as I cranked, and I put it to the floor, she spitted and sputtered and then ran good. Turned her off and on a couple times and worked fine.

Question. Can the fuel pump stick and not pump then work again?

I do plan on replacing the fuel pump soon, but I am a little baffled by why it did what it did, and wondered if you guys got some info?

Info.
Edelbrock 600cfm manual choke, fresh rebuild 6 months ago- yes I was choking it
6 month old inline fuel filter
¾ tank of 92 octane gas.
283ci almost bare bones stock
Fuel pump-not a clue on age

1967 C/10 stepside lwb daily driver
1968 C/10 fleetside lwb parts truck
1971 Cheyenne Super swb project
evilways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Fuel pump question 283ci with story

I've never had a pump stick, that is, I've never had one fail and then work fine after that. It's possible you may have had an obstruction in the line, clogged fuel filter in the carb or in the tank. Those sometimes work intermittently.

A good way to test the pump, if you have the location and time, is to disconnect the inlet hose from the tank and place a 3 foot section of fuel line in it's place. Shove the other end in a 1 gallon container of fresh gas and see if your pump works and pumps a good strong stream of gas. If it does, the problem may be upstream.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Wrenchbender Ret

With the engine idleing take a hard look at the pump. Sometimes when they are about to fail you can see a little gas coming out of the vent holes.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
silverstreak

Check the condition of any rubber fuel hose you may have between the pump and tank. If it's cracked, it can draw air and the pump can loose prime.
silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
cparman
sharp as a marble

ok this might be a reach? I do not know for sure that there is a " sock " on the fuel pick up in the tank. I wonder if you have some debris/water in the tank, and with the outside temperature the water had frozen????? I have removed the fuel line going into the fuel pump on a bunch of GM cars an with shop air blown back to the fuel tank. IF the sock is clogged for whatever reason it usually blows the sock off and corrects the problem. Take the gas cap off before doing this.
Never seen a mechanical fuel pump be intermittent?
cparman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
evilways

Well I added some (Heat fuel additive) to help with any water issue, and I will be replacing the rubber lines now too, I checked the rubber hose to the pump and it was a bit soft. I have never had any issues with the pump so I was suspect to other issues besides the pump itself. Those sections of rubber seem to be a fire waiting to happen. Thanks for your input guys!

1967 C/10 stepside lwb daily driver
1968 C/10 fleetside lwb parts truck
1971 Cheyenne Super swb project
evilways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #7
turp mcspray

I have had a fuel pump crap out while driving down the road, and after sitting awhile, restart and work fine for the rest of the day, only to give me fits again a day or so later. I would replace the fuel pump first , before tearing into other things. A fuel pump is cheap. Start there and see what happens. Sometimes it's hard to do, but try changing only one thing at s time so you know exactly what the problem was/is.
My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342299
turp mcspray is offline   Reply With Quote