The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
energiesource

Is this cab worth it?

Hi, im restoring a 71 chevy and some of you may remember me, some not, but i found a cab for sale, they want $500 for the cab. its in better shape than my cab for sure but if theres minimal work needed, you people know what to look for. i dont. so judging from the pics, does this cab seem worth it??
thanks

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...AdIdZ173722523
energiesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
too much stuff
Roadtrip!

Re: Is this cab worth it?

Doesn't seem like a bad price for where you live. I would request a few more pics of the floors and supports. Is it close enough to go look at for you?
70 4x4/BB/bkts/posi/tach(retired)
70 swb (wifes)
70 jimmy camper
71 K-5 factory 2wd
71 cheyenne 4x4/tach/posi/ plow rig
71 Cheyenne20 BB, buckets, tach, tilt, 4 speed
72 jimmy CST wyoming rig
72 jimmy Colorado rig
72 lifted texas 4x4 3/4 ton burb
65 fury conv. 383/auto
65 chrysler 300 "L" 413 auto
too much stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
skchevota

she dont look to bad in the pictures. If you can see it in person, check around the windshield frame , and the lower rockers for rust.
skchevota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
energiesource

yes its quite close. but it gets dark so quick here that by 4 pm when everyone is usually off work, its dark so it makes judging how bad the rust is very difficult. from what it says, it needs new rear cab mounts, the roof looks pretty bad though around the pillars. so i dont know. guess ill go dig in the snow with my LED flashlight lol. not to mention it comes with the doors too for $500 so thats not bad at all.

here are some more pictures they sent me. the front of the pass. rocker looks kind of bad, but i dont know. could just be surface rust. i tell you though this cab is alot easier to blast and primer than mine. there'd be nothing left of my cab in that case. only good thing about my cab is the roof.

here are some of mine just so you know lol

Last edited by energiesource; 12-21-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:42 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If you can't go look at it I would request more pics of the floor and kick panels... without the snow.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
energiesource

haha in canada at this time, hard to get that. it snowed a ****load today too. i doubt they'd be that eager to go outside and shovel it out just to get pictures of a potential buyer. they should but you know some people.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:13 AM   #7
unclewatts
70 Chevrolet=Obsession

If I had your cab and I could get that cab for $500 I think I would go for it as long as there wasn't significantly more rust than the pics show.

I'm Just like my truck. Old, Ugly and Grouchy. Except my truck starts easily in the morning and doesn't smoke!

IT'S NOT EASY BEING GREEN! -Kermit the frog

1970 Chevrolet C-10 Longbed Stepside :
350, Muncie M20, 3.08 GM corp. positraction Forest green exterior/light green interior(Where all my money goes)

1996 Toyota Corolla (Parts runner)
unclewatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
energiesource

so i went to look at it today, and from what i could see (it was snowing like crazy. it'd need new floor replacement panels and a rear cab mount
but the two rocker panels are slip on replacements, someone did work before to it.. and i dont know if i want that. id have to replace those out, i dunno. im looking to you guys.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #9
mbgmike

Worth $500 if its as described. The one pic with the RS front rocker looks like it has damage but the rest looks good. The cowl and front look real nice. I agree get some more pics. If its really that good. You will be money ahead
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Smallz72project

Sounds as though you are going to have to do a bit of work to that cab as well. For 500 bucks though thats not too bad, however if you were planning and or able to do the repairs to it, Id say just fix the cab that you have. You can get a complete floor pan with all the supports for about that price or just buy patch panels for alot less. Could always haggle and hassel with them, see if you cant get the price down due to still needing to go trhough and repair areas. Just my two cents.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by energiesource View Post
so i went to look at it today, and from what i could see (it was snowing like crazy. it'd need new floor replacement panels and a rear cab mount
but the two rocker panels are slip on replacements, someone did work before to it.. and i dont know if i want that. id have to replace those out, i dunno. im looking to you guys.
I was typing while you were and did not see your post. Its still hard to tell. without a set pics that show everything. Granted is better than the one you have. We sold one late this year with a cab just as nice and a complete roller for $600.00. But it needed the usual rocker and partial floor work.

Just guessing the parts to fix the usual rust just at the floor and rockers will run between $160 to $200 for outer floor extensions,outer rockers,kick panels and front pillars., depending on whom you buy them from. Hard to tell what it needs still though without pics of both sides and the inside.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
mbgmike

looks like some bondo on the back side of the cab in the adds pic. Might want to check that out some more. The roof looks good
Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
energiesource

see its not that bad but the floor has a through rust spot in the center of the drivers side and passenger, the inside is kind of rusted, the back of the cab is pretty rough, dents and crap everywhere as well as the rear part on the passenger side where it comes down from the frame is bent as well, the way this is starting to look id be better off buying a complete firewall/floor assembly for my current cab for the same price. but i still dont know. hard to tell with all that snow and **** in there. the seats are still in there too so that makes it difficult. the doors are good though. one is immaculate and one has a dent in it by the door handle so its pretty tough to pop out. only thing bad on my current cab is the floor/firewall/rockers so i dont know if i should spend the $700 on replacement panels for this cab...gah decisions decisions.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:16 PM   #14
energiesource

here are some more of my cab just to weigh out the two and see if mine is worth buying the replacement sheet metal for or not

Old 12-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
mbgmike

after seeing yours I think I would repair yours if doing the work yourself. Yours is just the usual rust. If roof inside and out is ok.If you have to do the rockers on the other cab you might as well fix the one you have. It will be a lot less labor to. I don't think the other is as good a shape as it first sounded. But it still is a decent price these days.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #16
energiesource

if replacing the firewall and floor panels, can someone point me in the right direction as to where to weld the support bars from one end of the cab to the other?
thanks.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #17
Smallz72project

When you are saying support bars, are you talking about braces that will hold the shape of the cab while you cut out the fireall and floor? If so I would just put a bar left to right at the back of the cab near the door and then on each side run one from the rear of the cab so say your kick panel. and then another one left to right kick panel to kick panel...that should hold the cab rigid and hold its form while you cut out all cancer and weld in new skin.
Smallz72project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
energiesource

yep thats exactly what im talking about. never done work on these cabs before, do i just drill out the spot welds and pry all of it out?
im not mechanically illiterate, just making sure lol