The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
GR$$N$

drop spindle question

i searched and couldnt find the best answer so i figured i'd make a thread.i want to go down another 2-3" up front and i want to do that with a spindle.i would like to know what the best one is for this year and such.also i do plan on bagging it in the near future so it will need to be able to be used with my bag setup as well. 71 c10. thanks in advance
Old 12-24-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
nastyc10

Re: drop spindle question

I've got 2.5" drop spindles from earlyclassic and they work perfect with my bags and dropmember.
nastyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
GR$$N$

those are pretty cheap.249 plus shipping.not bad at all.do you know of any difference between those or mcgaughys or something? did you lose any turning radius?
Old 12-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #4
nastyc10

I dont have any experience with the others but these are very nice for the price and ECE is a good company to do business with. Didn't lose any turning radius at all.
nastyc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
GR$$N$

ok.looks like ill be ordering some in a few weeks.thanks a bunch
Old 12-24-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

keep in mind that your inner wells will need to be gone and then theres the issue of heat fan and hood hindges when you bag it...with a 29" tire cupped LCA and stock spindles I'm against the inner fender support??....just food for thought...I think 1 or maybe 1.5" spindle drop would be the most I could put on with out major work to the heat/hindges..still would need to cut out the inner fender support

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
GR$$N$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
keep in mind that your inner wells will need to be gone and then theres the issue of heat fan and hood hindges when you bag it...with a 29" tire cupped LCA and stock spindles I'm against the inner fender support??....just food for thought...I think 1 or maybe 1.5" spindle drop would be the most I could put on with out major work to the heat/hindges..still would need to cut out the inner fender support
i wont be bagging for awhile.as it sits right now if i go 2.5" i will HAVE to at least mini tub the front.but once i lower the front and rear some more i will prep the tubs for the bags before i actually bag it.move battery to frame rails under the bed as well.and raise my bed floor so i will not have a notch and then ill get into the bagging process.i have no idea how much drop mine has right now but its just springs.theres no block or spindles and i'd really prefer to have 2" more drop.this thing is practically lifted
Old 12-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

sound like you have a good plan I don't understand the battery thing but it would certainly clean up the engine comparment...I would worry more about having to remove my heat and A/C but since your in Calf. it's probably not an issue... it's just as easy to pull your inner fenders and keep them around til your done then you can avoid building them twice..I have been running without ANY for some time now..makes the engine compartment a bit messy on rainy days but nothing soap and water doesn't clean up..

check my build thread you could always cup the LCA (use the springs you have) that would give you about 2" of drop and prep it for bags in one move so no wasted time or $$.... add some blocks for the same end results and your ready for bags.... drop spindels are going to give you more drop than I think you want with this combo...but with a ttotal of 4" ( up front) you can always check where you are now and figure it out from there...just keep in mind you can only drop the rear another 2" with blocks ( and even with that you have scrub line issues withthe U bolt on the back)...and maybe axle frame issues...chek you clearance now and see....

I hate having to build things twice or spend $$ for something that is temp CLCA and blocks will get you closer to your goal

Old 12-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #9
GR$$N$

Quote:
sound like you have a good plan I don't understand the battery thing but it would certainly clean up the engine comparment...I would worry more about having to remove my heat and A/C but since your in Calf. it's probably not an issue... it's just as easy to pull your inner fenders and keep them around til your done then you can avoid building them twice..I have been running without ANY for some time now..makes the engine compartment a bit messy on rainy days but nothing soap and water doesn't clean up..

check my build thread you could always cup the LCA (use the springs you have) that would give you about 2" of drop and prep it for bags in one move so no wasted time or $$.... add some blocks for the same end results and your ready for bags.... drop spindels are going to give you more drop than I think you want with this combo...but with a ttotal of 4" ( up front) you can always check where you are now and figure it out from there...just keep in mind you can only drop the rear another 2" with blocks ( and even with that you have scrub line issues withthe U bolt on the back)...and maybe axle frame issues...chek you clearance now and see....

I hate having to build things twice or spend $$ for something that is temp CLCA and blocks will get you closer to your goal
ya i checked your build.great work.did you buy or make those cups? i really like that idea and if that were to give me the 2" i want.the spindles i want are 2.5 and i think with the 22's im on right now that that'd be too much drop and i may rub while turning.basically with 2" from where i am now i'll be tucking 1/2" of tire up front maybe closer to an inch.and i thought they made 3" drop blocks for the rear?as for clearance right now it still has a ton of clearance.frames notched so i wont need to worry about that.ill have to double check and make sure there isnt anything else that could get in the way tho.if i do the cup thing ill probably wait a month till my dad moves out so that way i can do this in the garage instead of my driveway

edit: but then also i was planning on running custom tube arms and not the stock ones.so it'd be alot of work to cup the lcas and then not use them.but then i could also sell them so it may not be a bad idea

Last edited by GR$$N$; 12-24-2009 at 03:55 PM.
GR$$N$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

I made up my LCA why would you want to change them you wont get a better drop....I can see using upper tubed ones to get a better ball joint angle though...

measure up your 22's and see how tall they are ( If I had the size I could tell yea??) the magic # is 29.5"...IF you cup the lower with 29.5 tire it will clear the inner fender by 3/8" when the LCA it on the Xmemeber..IF you add a drop spindle you will be into the heater boxs,hood hindges, and inner fender support...

Old 12-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
GR$$N$

just kinda an ocd thing.i dont want tubed uppers and stock lowers,just would look nicer to me to have tubed uppers and lowers.no real reason to it tho.and my 22's sit at 28" tall. 265/35/22 if i remember correctly.where did you get your cups from or did you make them?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #12
leddzepp

I have 2.5" Western drop spindles on my 72, made in USA. I bought them from CPP, right here in Anaheim. They work great, no issues.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:33 PM   #13
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR$$N$ View Post
just kinda an ocd thing.i dont want tubed uppers and stock lowers,just would look nicer to me to have tubed uppers and lowers.no real reason to it tho.and my 22's sit at 28" tall. 265/35/22 if i remember correctly.where did you get your cups from or did you make them?
I get it the hole tube upper and lowers but in my case I'm a cheap bastard so I made up my lowers and plan to cut my uppers in the spring to take out some of the ball joint angle ( no issue now but I'll feel better)...If I was on your tire then I could lay x out..I'm that close..call it an OCD thing but I like full wheel wells!! it hides my junk behind it... I guess thats why before long you'll see the pro streets on the back...lmao

everything being said I want to convert to 2" drops someday... some for the drop to get my bags in a nice working area at ride hieght, some to lay it out that extra inch I'm missing to lay out on my X ..but I think the biggest reason is for the covertion to disc??

Old 12-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #14
GR$$N$

Quote:
I get it the hole tube upper and lowers but in my case I'm a cheap bastard so I made up my lowers and plan to cut my uppers in the spring to take out some of the ball joint angle ( no issue now but I'll feel better)...If I was on your tire then I could lay x out..I'm that close..call it an OCD thing but I like full wheel wells!! it hides my junk behind it... I guess thats why before long you'll see the pro streets on the back...lmao

everything being said I want to convert to 2" drops someday... some for the drop to get my bags in a nice working area at ride hieght, some to lay it out that extra inch I'm missing to lay out on my X ..but I think the biggest reason is for the covertion to disc??
im cheap as well but like ive stated this is the truck ive wanted since i was about 8 years old.now that i have it i want everything to be done right.whether it takes 2 or ten years.hence y im not cutting my springs to get more drop.lol.and damn you are close.im debating getting rid of the 22s and getting a set of 20s with a hefty tire on it since theres vertually no traction.especially without posi.you dont have disc up front?and im set on the cupping idea.just need to find a good set of cups to place in up there and also im going to block the rear to get more drop
Old 12-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #15
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

keep in mind you can go up in tire size....not rim..to get to that 29.5" #...heres a link for you to play with till you get the size that will work for you..... the stock size you want to shoot for is 235/75/15..it will fill the wheel wells and get your speedo back to being right???

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

close is like sorta pregnant either you lay out or you dont..I'll never get the back down since I cn't sacrifice the floor of my truck.....but I'm looking to build another and that one will peel pavement on another low budget build..I'm thinking under $500
Attached Images

Old 12-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #16
GR$$N$

Quote:
keep in mind you can go up in tire size....not rim..to get to that 29.5" #...heres a link for you to play with till you get the size that will work for you..... the stock size you want to shoot for is 235/75/15..it will fill the wheel wells and get your speedo back to being right???

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

close is like sorta pregnant either you lay out or you dont..I'll never get the back down since I cn't sacrifice the floor of my truck.....but I'm looking to build another and that one will peel pavement on another low budget build..I'm thinking under $500

thanks.thats a good link.and ya im more into the pro streetISH look thats why i want to go down in rim size.these 22's are too flashy for me.and have you ever seen a bodydropped bed before? basically where you cut about 6-8 inches out of your bed and lift the whole floor so you still have an oem floor its just raised up a bit.in your case you'd probably only have to do 3-5 inches.i did it to my 2000 gmc sierra and i loved the outcome.i will also be doing this to this truck since im not a fan of notches
Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #17
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Can you see the issue with any bed work???..and yea it will fit even with the PS tires not sure how they will carry the load??
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2009, 08:25 PM   #18
GR$$N$

Quote:
Can you see the issue with any bed work???..and yea it will fit even with the PS tires not sure how they will carry the load??
i gotcha now.if it were just firewood you'd still be able to lose a few inches but with that camper there'd be no way.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #19
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR$$N$ View Post
.and my 22's sit at 28" tall. 265/35/22 if i remember correctly.?
if you look at the camper pick vs the other one you may notice that teh camper is sitting abit higher at dump...well the front dropped another 1.5" when I swaped out the stock shocks to the monroe 5758's and the rear tires (camper) are 31/10.5 and they never rubbed ....so again you can work withyou rims just go taller..it will give you a good low pro look
Old 12-28-2009, 02:10 AM   #20
GR$$N$

Quote:
if you look at the camper pick vs the other one you may notice that teh camper is sitting abit higher at dump...well the front dropped another 1.5" when I swaped out the stock shocks to the monroe 5758's and the rear tires (camper) are 31/10.5 and they never rubbed ....so again you can work withyou rims just go taller..it will give you a good low pro look
ya i still havnt decided.once bagged i will definately be getting new rims whether they're 20s or 22's.shortened rear and most likely front as well so i can get some custom wheels with a huge lip on them.we'll see tho