The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
ozman3803

I need some step notch ideas/help

I'm looking at installing step notch with air ride on my 70 swb. If you guys have some builds with pics or links that would be awesome. What I'm looking for is what suspension did you end up going with...bag location, 4 link,trailing arms...so on, cutting box floor, some sort of axle centering set up, raised center cross member...etc. Custom or kits, I don't care. Just want to do this right the first time. Thanks to all that take the time to reply and help out.
ozman3803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Re: I need some step notch ideas/help

What are your goals?

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #3
ozman3803

well I am more that likely going to do the drop member w/ tubular control arms, drop spindles, might as well to the rack and pinion since I have the drop member. I was considering rear step notch with parallel 4 link and watts link. Cut the box floor out and box it back in with spare bed floor that I have. And then set it on some 20 x 22 combo.
Just not sure on bag location because I would like to do rear 22's 10 inch wheel or maybe a 20x14 wheel from Coy. Also I have some cutting tunnel on back of cab (which I would like to avoid)with a raised center crossmember or or tubular. Can I still run a single driveshaft or will it have to be two piece? I liked the superlift from suicide doors but noticed the two piece driveshaft which I don't like. Does that help any? Just thought some pics and different ideas from others might help.

Last edited by ozman3803; 12-28-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

If your going with a Dropmember up front you may as welll o with one in the rear too...

With 20/22 Coys-

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-29-2009 at 12:30 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
SCOTI

Can't do the rear DM 'kit' w/the 20x14" Coys. The backspacing requires a narrowed rear housing which forces the 4-bars to be placed inside the frame rails.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
ozman3803

So what could be a option with the big tire? Could I run the 4 link and the bags inside the frame rail to allow a big tire with narrowed rearend? I'd imagine that a custom bracket would probably have to be made since most of them are on the outside of rail. Is this going to affect ride quality any since it's not all the way to outside of diff.?
Old 12-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozman3803 View Post
So what could be a option with the big tire? Could I run the 4 link and the bags inside the frame rail to allow a big tire with narrowed rearend? I'd imagine that a custom bracket would probably have to be made since most of them are on the outside of rail. Is this going to affect ride quality any since it's not all the way to outside of diff.?
A 'BIG' tire is going to require the bars to be inside the frame (stock frame width) on a 4-bar set-up or you could use truck-arms. You could possibly try a tri-angulated 4-bar w/the lower bars directly under the frame & the upper bars attachment points inside the frame rails. The question is, how big is 'big'?

The 'springs' need to be as far out-board as possible for the best stability. Truck arms can keep the springs directly under the frame rail. With a 4-bar set-up, the springs can be attached to the axle just in-board of the frame rail (stock width frame rails). Both these combos would offer alot of room (12-14" easy) for big tires. There's always custom rear frame clips w/narrowed rails as well.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 12-29-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #8
smashingchuck

Mounting the bags inboard of the frame rail is doable but ride quailty (especially in the corners) would suffer. You might want to consider doing a custom back half so you can put the frame rails right where you want them and still put the bags in an optimal postion.

Also, you might ba able to just do a bag on bar set up and sneak the lower bar between the wheel and the stock frame.

4Runner Build
Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
smashingchuck

damn it scoti you were faster... how many ways can we say the same thing?

4Runner Build

Last edited by smashingchuck; 12-29-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #10
ozman3803

Tried doing a search but getting errors. Would a cantelier? setup work, can't exactly remember what it's called but I'm sure you know how it works. Is this a option? I would like to do at least a 14" tire.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Tried doing a search but getting errors. Would a cantelier? setup work, can't exactly remember what it's called but I'm sure you know how it works. Is this a option? I would like to do at least a 14" tire.
The canti-lever (6-link) bolt-in type set-ups (like KP components) doesn't offer any more room. What rear suspension do you currently have?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #12
ozman3803

It's all stock still, just trying to get some ideas. Porterbuilt rear dropmember is nice but thought I could just do a simple step with 4 link and bags.

Last edited by ozman3803; 12-29-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:13 PM   #13
SCOTI

Quote:
It's all stock still, just trying to get some ideas. Porterbuilt rear dropmember is nice but thought I could just do a simple step with 4 link and bags.
Ok.... All stock still doesn't clarify which type of suspension you currently have. 6x-72's were available w/either leafs or coils.

You can do a simple step w/4-bar & bags (that's what PB's DM kit is). Even w/a generic weld-on kit you'll have similar issues w/mounting the bars on the outside of the frame rails & trying to wedge a big tire between the bars & the bedside.

If you've got fabrication skills, you can do almost anything you want....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-29-2009, 09:58 PM   #14
ozman3803

I did originally post it was a 70 swb...it's coils. What's so diff about porterbuilt if it's just a step w/ 4link and bags? I've looked at the pics but wow it has a hefty price tag. You could do that basic set up for under a grand, but it won't look as pretty. Maybe I'll keep it simple or draw up some plans and do some measuring. Do you have any build threads on your's that you did that box mod on for the step notch Scoti? Or any other pics would be great Scoti, thanks. Is there any good programs that I could use to draw some plans up? I'm kind of computer illiterate
Old 12-30-2009, 12:03 AM   #15
Ronm909
67GMC Slammed

dude I had the same questions? this was my solution..or should I say will be my solution. still working on it..
Attached Images

Ronm909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:30 AM   #16
GVizzle

Heres mine. PB Weld n Smooth.
Attached Images

GVizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #17
ozman3803

I see that C-notch wasn't low enough GVizzle!! That's what I'm afraid of, just do it right the first time. Finally getting some pictures, thanks guys. I hope this keeps going!! Maybe I'll just stick with a 10in wheel.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #18
GVizzle

22 X 10 BS 5.5 Rear Wheel with a Toyo Proxes ST2 285/35/22. We have the 67' 12 bolt rear axel also which is total 1.5 inch narrower.

You can't lay frame without the step with that tall of a tire. Just depends on what you're after. I want this truck to roll around 3 inches off the ground.
Attached Images

GVizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #19
SCOTI

Quote:
I did originally post it was a 70 swb...it's coils. What's so diff about porterbuilt if it's just a step w/ 4link and bags? I've looked at the pics but wow it has a hefty price tag. You could do that basic set up for under a grand, but it won't look as pretty. Maybe I'll keep it simple or draw up some plans and do some measuring. Do you have any build threads on your's that you did that box mod on for the step notch Scoti? Or any other pics would be great Scoti, thanks. Is there any good programs that I could use to draw some plans up? I'm kind of computer illiterate
As stated, these trucks could have either leafs or coils (including 1970 swb's). I wasn't sure which you were starting with & missed it if it was indicated within the thread somewhere.

What's different about Porter's kit? You can see exactly what it will look like installed on your frame before you even start. You can do 90% of the install w/basic hand tools in your driveway & know it will perform as expected & look professional. Yes, you can do 'similar' for cheaper & unless you're a really good fabricator, your correct that it possibly won't look as 'pretty'.

I have used Porterbuilt DM's. I was one of the first that spoke w/Nathan when he was building the rear DM 4-bar kit. I would have been one of the first customers w/the rear kit if it wasn't for the fact that it's set-up for a 10" max wheel width & that wasn't enough for me. I could have modified his kit (and Nate offered to tweak for my needs).... but for the costs, I figured I could hack my own stuff up & gain experience by doing it myself.

Ronm909's solution looks good to me. I chose to stick w/what I already have experience with & I know works well. Myself & others were the voices Nathan heard that helped bring the PB Dropped Truck Arms to production. I used them (which allow up to 14" wide wheels) along w/a modified frame. I'll post-up some pics from my current project once I get them off the camera....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 PM   #20
ozman3803

Sorry Scoti, didn't realize 70 came with either suspension. My truck already had disc brakes on it to so not sure if it's original frame or not, unless 70 had disc or drum to. Any idea what the length of rear diff isn the "short" one? Usually measured from backing plate to backing plate correct? Fabing something up and welding is not a issue...wether it will work or not is the question. I have never did a project like this and will be a learning experience. I would have never considered doing this if it wasn't for this forum, I'm glad I found this and appreciate everyone help and ideas. I guess the real reason I'm considering this is because I saw some wheels at a local tire shop when I was getting some new tires on the 4 runner. They were 20's x 15 inch wide with huge lip with a 18.5 in wide tire and OMG did is look bada$$. They also have a 22 that available in 12 inch wide.

Last edited by ozman3803; 12-30-2009 at 06:02 PM.