The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
cincytrucktp

Anyone able to run a VIN number for me?

Getting ready to buy a truck from someone in NC and he gave me a vin number so I wanted to just check to see if everything is clean. He also has a dealers license and has owned the truck for two years but never put the title in his name, just ran dealer tags on the truck. Any thing odd about that or is that normal for car dealers to not title the cars they buy? He said since he has his dealers license that he could just transfer the title from the PO to me without any issues. Does that sound cool? Anyway I know some folks have access to run vin's and if you can could you let me know what comes up on this vin?

CS141B636060

Thxs much

Tim
cincytrucktp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
echo72

Re: Anyone able to run a VIN number for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincytrucktp View Post
Getting ready to buy a truck from someone in NC and he gave me a vin number so I wanted to just check to see if everything is clean. He also has a dealers license and has owned the truck for two years but never put the title in his name, just ran dealer tags on the truck. Any thing odd about that or is that normal for car dealers to not title the cars they buy? He said since he has his dealers license that he could just transfer the title from the PO to me without any issues. Does that sound cool? Anyway I know some folks have access to run vin's and if you can could you let me know what comes up on this vin?

CS141B636060

Thxs much

Tim
C-2 wheel
S-6 cyl
1-1/2 ton
4-pickup
1-1971
B-Baltimore
Build Number-636060

I don't know how to read the build number. Maybe someone else can help with the build number. For example, 100043 means 43rd unit built. I got the codes out of a LMC parts book.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 AM   #3
echo72

I didn't ask if you were looking at a Chevy or GMC. The codes I gave you are for a Chevy. GMC is a little different.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #4
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

where at in NC??...If it's close, maybe I can take a looky for ya?!?!....let me know

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The vin decode there is correct. The 6 in the 636060 means it rolled off the second truck assembly line at that plant, it is the 36060th one off that line.
However, I think Tim was asking about is it a clean title, does anything come up as far as legality.
I could be mistaken on that though.
Tim, I'll be calling my guy today and get back to you.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
The vin decode there is correct. The 6 in the 636060 means it rolled off the second truck assembly line at that plant, it is the 36060th one off that line.
However, I think Tim was asking about is it a clean title, does anything come up as far as legality.
I could be mistaken on that though.
Tim, I'll be calling my guy today and get back to you.
----

Yes, trying to see if any one could run one of those free car faxes to see if there are any issues with the title/vin etc. Does anyone know if you can call a NC BMV and ask them questions about a vehicle? The guy is a dealer and has never titled the truck in his name. He just used his dealer plates and I'm sure he did this just so he wouldn't have to pay taxes on the truck. I just want to make sure I'm not going to have any problems having him transfer the title to me from the PO. Makes sense to me, because when a car dealership takes your car in on trade I know that don't title the car in their name and pay taxes, they just own the vehicle and then sell to the new buyer so I assume its no different, but any feedback anyone has on this will make me feel alot better.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #7
robb67

hey cincytrucktp,
I can't run your vin number (but you should). Regarding the situation of the ownership issue, this is exactly how my brother runs things out of his "backyard" shop. He is always buying and selling and taking trades and he leaves the ownerships in the po's name to avoid taxes and there is a limit of transactions private guys can make per year here in Ontario. Hope this helps.
robb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I am 99% sure that carfax won't have any info on something this old. I think it's 1991 and newer maybe.
Before taking delivery, you'll need to look at the VIN on the title, and match it to the VIN on the plate in the door jamb. Also, you'll need to look and see if the plate looks like it has been tampered with. When you bring it to ohio, they will send you to get the title and VIN plate inspected, just a visual check looking for tampering, wrong rrivits, mismatch numbers... that's about it. If the title that comes with the truck has a spot for a notory, then you'll need to get it notorized. If there is no notary required by that state, then Ohio will not require it either. (I've done this 5 times here)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
71 super

If the guy is a dealer, he will have a notary at his place or know someone who is. It is pretty common place to leave the title open if you are planning to sell the vehicle but it is illegal for you or I to do so, don't know about dealers. The taxes on a vehicle at least in my part of the state (western nc) are nothing -6 dollars or so, so that is prob. not the issue. Check for liens through DMV pay the taxes for crossing state lines and you should be good to go.
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle

Last edited by 71 super; 12-30-2009 at 12:59 PM.
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
cincytrucktp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71 super View Post
If the guy is a dealer, he will have a notary at his place or know someone who is. It is pretty common place to leave the title open if you are planning to sell the vehicle but it is illegal for you or I to do so, don't know about dealers. The taxes on a vehicle at least in my part of the state (western nc) are nothing -6 dollars or so, so that is prob. not the issue. Check for liens through DMV pay the taxes for crossing state lines and you should be good to go.
---

Not sure how you check for liens? I called several BMV's and no one will give me any information about the vehicle. HOW DOES SOMEONE MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT BUYING A STOLEN CAR? I can check the title and make sure it matches but it's possible the title could be fake??? Hate to think that way but you just don't know these days. You'd think a BMV would be glad to tell you if a lien is on the title. They wouldn't have to give you specific info just a yes or no. How frustrating. And you'd think they would have access to know if a vin is registered as a stolen vehicle.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
71swb4x4

I would call your local highway patrol station, explain what you want to purchase, and ask them how you can make sure everything is legit.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:03 PM   #12
OARNGESI

That sounds pretty normal here in az he would have to transfer the title in your name though he should be bonded so if anything happens like its stollen you can file a claim against his bond my dad has a carlot down here he even uses the plate on his 08 challenger
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
425HP409
425hp409

I ran the VIN through Public Data and found the listed owner of the truck. PM me and I will give it to you.
64 Bel Air Wagon, 400 Small Block
57 Bel Air all original 283 w/Factory Air
77 GMC Sprint, 454/425HP
67 Olds 442, all original
90 ZR1 Corvette
425HP409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #14
ksbrktracer
TNT-MOTORSPORTS

You wont be able to get any info from carfax, has to have a vin # 17 characters long, In all states it is normal for a dealer to not title a vehicle, There is room on the title for the dealer to sign the title over to the customer, an individual cannot do that, they have to register it. Having law enforcement run the Id. or going to the state and check it for liens is about the only thing you will be able to do. I have seen several vehicles show up with pay day loan type liens against them since the pay day loan craze started, but buying the vehicle from a licensed dealer should keep you from having any type of problms with that. Paper work wise buying from a dealer is the safest transaction you can do. I was a licensed car dealer in Kansas for over 30 years .
ksbrktracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #15
71 super

If you take the title to the DMV they will be able to pull the VIN and check lien status but they have to have the title in front of them. I just did this with the 68, as it still had the original title and was showing the cleared lien from the bank it was financed through, but the ladies still checked to make sure it was clear. You will have more problems in Ohio than you will in NC, all the officials look at in NC are the vin plates and matching the title, they do not look at the frame vin on front driver's side next to steering box, or the the partial vin located on the drivers side under the cab at the top. Look at the vin plate when you inspect the truck and make sure there are Rosett Rivets (they look like flower petals or stars) if they are not there then start asking questions, because this will cause you problems when you get home. Sometimes people use pop rivets to replace the vin plate so you should check the SPID on glove box, and the two frame locations as mentioned before. Where is this truck located (part of the state) maybe as Geoff offered one of us can go check it out for you. Harold
69 swb cst 6 cylinder/ overdrive
69 black/black cst bb swb
70 orange and white cst Canada built truck swb bb
71 black and white super swb bb
71 red and white super swb
72 green and white super swb 4x4
62 nova wagon 400 series Ls swapped
68 Camaro 327/4 speed- 1 owner, original paint
66 Volkswagen bettle
69 auto stick Volkswagen Beetle
71 super is offline   Reply With Quote