The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
dccarpenter

Slight Knock

Hello,

Well it's been a long hard road with my gmc '67 but I've finely modified some motor mounts and added plates so that the GMC 305 v6 sits nicely without the driveshaft hitting the tunnel. Bolted muffles on, filled the radiator, added oil and some motor honey(always seems to make my old engines run a bit smoother) and away I went for a bit of a drive. It drove pretty nice after warming up, seems a bit low on power but that might have been from driving the big dually in its place all winter.

When I bought the truck the oil pressure sensor (right above the oil filter) wasn't even attached but I plugged it back in while doing the mounts and have a 'oil pressure' warning on the dash along with what is a slight knock in the engine there any way to check if the switch is good or see if the oil pressure is actually bad? Also one other note..while changing the motor mounts I accidentally jacked to hard underneath the oil pan and bent it a bit, is it possible I messed up the screen or oil pump, can I drop the pan without jacking the engine again or will i need to remove the mounts to do this? Are new screens and pumps even available for the 305 v6? Sorry for so many questions just trying to keep the old truck going.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
chevy88

Re: Slight Knock

How old is the gas?

My build thread.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=3657823
1971 Chev SWB with 68 nose, 6.2 diesel th350, and 3.73 rear gears
1988 Chev Extendacab
2010 Honda VT1300CS Sabre
2005 Buick Rendezvous wife's ride
chevy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
Rooster's 67

use a manual gauge and install it into the sending unit port on the block where the original sending unit is located.

run the motor as little as possible if you are actually developing a knock in the bottom end.

depending on the amount of "bend" you created in the bottom of the sump you could have dislodged,bent or covered the pick up with the pan.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
dccarpenter

The gas was new, it was almost on empty when parked and I filled up with fresh stuff today.

The knock(my buddy identified it as a knock..was general engine noise to me I'm not that well versed) is thankfully slight...the 'bend' as I put it was more like I crushed up the middle of it with the 2x4 I was using on the jack(stupid me).

I went to Advance Auto to see if they had a manual gauge this evening, they didn't so I'll try the old school auto parts store on the way to work.

I'm going to try not to run it at all the next few days until I check the oil pressure with the manual gage, I need to check transmission fluid as well as I think it might be a bit low.

Last edited by dccarpenter; 12-30-2009 at 10:49 PM.
dccarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote