The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2010, 02:58 AM   #1
dbmx66

good or bad idea?

so i just received an offer for my 2wb shortbed frame with the lowering parts on it. the price seems really good.
the thing is we built a pro street motor to go into it.
but i do need a truck i can get around in. im from PA, we get good and bad weather here so a 2wd truck doesnt look to be the best option.

i might sell the frame a buy a 4x4 frame and lift in 8-10 inch and throw some 40s on it. plus that motor we built, could make a nice mudder.

what do you guys think i should? im stuck on whether i want the lowered "prostreet" kinda truck or the lifted mud truck. i really like them both. but i dont know.
dbmx66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
bikes&bowties

Re: good or bad idea?

If you want to drive it daily you may want t take into consideration that while the lowered truck will get stuck and such they lifted truck on mud terrains will possibly make you wind up in the ditch because in a few inches of fresh snow or really nasty slush wide mud terrains tend to push side to side and kind of snow plow which makes for a "fun ride".

Personally I would go with the lifted truck but 4-6 inch lift with 35's-38's make a decent daily driver/offroader and you can get smaller all terrains for the winter months.
bikes&bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #3
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

get a 4x4 but you dont need 10"

6 will do.

hp and snow dont mix.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:30 AM   #4
dbmx66

its just a thought that maybe ive put too much into the 2wd to just sell it start fresh. if i got just a 4x4 frame, all i'd have to do is throw my body on and make a hole in the floor for the transfers case shifter. anything else i'd need to do?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Im for making the four wheel drive too but again not as high.... you will need to change the whole "hump" in the 2wd cab, not just make a hole for the shifter.. You can go to a u pull place and unbolt the raised tunnel and then cut yours to accomodate the cover. The floor humps in 4X4s are higher to accomodate the transfer case

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
dbmx66

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
Im for making the four wheel drive too but again not as high.... you will need to change the whole "hump" in the 2wd cab, not just make a hole for the shifter.. You can go to a u pull place and unbolt the raised tunnel and then cut yours to accomodate the cover. The floor humps in 4X4s are higher to accomodate the transfer case
other than that is there anything else i would need to do besides steering, brakes, fuel lines, and that kinda stuff?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #7
Damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 View Post
A 3" body lift will let the cab clear the transfer case too. With the body lift you could put in a 4" suspension lift and not have to get longer driveshafts like you might have to with the 6".

If you are going to be running high hp, you might consider going with 1 ton running gears too. A stock 350 will snap the axle shafts on a d44 with tires bigger then 36".

Last edited by Damien; 01-01-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
dbmx66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
A 3" body lift will let the cab clear the transfer case too. With the body lift you could put in a 4" suspension lift and not have to get longer driveshafts like you might have to with the 6".

If you are going to be running high hp, you might consider going with 1 ton running gears too. A stock 350 will snap the axle shafts on a d44 with tires bigger then 36".
you mean one ton gears or one ton axles?
Old 01-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
bikes&bowties

He means 1 ton running gear. As in a D-60 front and corporate 14 bolt in the rear.. Can get expensive but you wont be stuck 200 feet in the middle of a pond with a broken axle shaft. Gears go with tire size and motor. The more torque and HP you are putting to the ground the taller gears you can run with bigger tires. While going the opposite way you can run huge tires with not much power if you run low enough gears.
bikes&bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
2tons of fun
Account Suspended

you can only get one ton gear in one ton axles so yes.
2tons of fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
3r!c84
Badass

id say go with the lower and prostreet thing

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote