The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
Anadrol

Helpful Tip when Ordering from ClassicParts

ClassicParts.com has pretty good prices and a lot of add-ons and parts for the '73-87 square body. I just received a pile of stuff and it got here fast and everything looked awesome.

My tip, however, involves a mistake they made.

I ordered a set of (4) Wheel Well Arch Chrome Trim pieces. Three arrived in the box. Of all things, this is one where you must have the complete set. Who wants 3 out of 4 of their wheel wells trimmed in chrome!!?? Anyway, that one missing piece was on backorder and we went nuts in our shop trying to find it, thinking we had just lost it. We also were missing an entire grill that I ordered, and that's how I ultimately figured out there must have been a backorder on a few parts in the order.

My point is, if you order from them (and yes, I WOULD still recommend them), just call to make your order rather than using the internet. An actual person would've certainly noticed the backordered stuff. The internet machine won't tell you when parts are on backorder. This really screws you up when you've laid aside time slots to install everything and you're missing stuff.
Anadrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
1986swb

Re: Helpful Tip when Ordering from ClassicParts

I feel your pain when your on a schedule. I'm currently replacing my entire suspension -- front and rear. That's why I chose Classic Parts of America. I feel they better than many truck parts retailers out there. They stock mostly OEM, NOS parts so hence, they are a little more pricey but worth it. They don't carry/stock some items for our 73-87s like their competitors do because they are made of inferior materials.

I order all of my parts over the phone with only Brad Steward, ext. 245, as he is in Research & Development. He knows his trucks and his parts, and he tells me exactly what I need and doesn't try to upsell me on other parts. Straight talk with experience. The Internet is convenient but the images on their Web site sometimes differ from the paper-based catalog. For example, I had to confirm that if I ordered an OEM upper control arm assembly it would be complete with ball joint and bushings as shown on the Web. The catalog did not show it as complete, it only showed the arm.

And they properly pack the parts to guard against damage while in transit. Shipping costs are reasonable as well. Brad's also good at ensuring parts are in stock but if they "appear" to be on backorder on his computer, he checks it out for me first then tells me either way. This way, no mistakes or misunderstandings. This happened when I needed lower control arm rubber bumpers.

So far, no disappointments. Knock on wood. However, different story with the Eastwood Company in PA. Talk about delays -- my order got lost and paint product shipments take forever since they need to shipped via ground delivery service. Oh well. Just gotta deal with it.
1986swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
bigarmzz

i like your name there "oxymetholone", my friends call me "dianabol"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol View Post
ClassicParts.com has pretty good prices and a lot of add-ons and parts for the '73-87 square body. I just received a pile of stuff and it got here fast and everything looked awesome.

My tip, however, involves a mistake they made.

I ordered a set of (4) Wheel Well Arch Chrome Trim pieces. Three arrived in the box. Of all things, this is one where you must have the complete set. Who wants 3 out of 4 of their wheel wells trimmed in chrome!!?? Anyway, that one missing piece was on backorder and we went nuts in our shop trying to find it, thinking we had just lost it. We also were missing an entire grill that I ordered, and that's how I ultimately figured out there must have been a backorder on a few parts in the order.

My point is, if you order from them (and yes, I WOULD still recommend them), just call to make your order rather than using the internet. An actual person would've certainly noticed the backordered stuff. The internet machine won't tell you when parts are on backorder. This really screws you up when you've laid aside time slots to install everything and you're missing stuff.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anadrol View Post
I ordered a set of (4) Wheel Well Arch Chrome Trim pieces. Three arrived in the box. Of all things, this is one where you must have the complete set. Who wants 3 out of 4 of their wheel wells trimmed in chrome!!??
Heh, heh - reminds me of when I ordered two hub caps for a garden tractor I was restoring.

They sent one black one and one red one. WTH?!?!

Don't they even think about this stuff?

I didn't care if they were red or black but I would have at least liked them to be the same -

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-06-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote