The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
loverofchevystrucks

Drum brakes

HEY EVERYONE. I HAVE A 1978 CHEVY K20, AND I AM TRYING TO GET THE DRIVERS REAR DRUM OFF BUT HAVING NO LUCK. EVERYONE IS TELLING ME THT THERE IS A HOLE TO BACK THE BRAKES OFF IN THE BACK BUT I SEE NO HOLE. THERE IS ONE IN THE DRUM. WHEN I AM GOING LIKE 10MPH OR SO AND COME TO A STOP THE DRIVERS SIDE REAR LOCKS UP ONLY GOING SLOW AND IT STICKS WHEN I AM TAKING OFF. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS. THANKS FOR READING
loverofchevystrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
ToughBowtieTruck

Re: Drum brakes

Yeah the brake shoes are out too far. Or, the passenger side is not working/seized up; sending all the fluid pressure to the driver's side.

There should be a little hole either on the backing plate, or the drum, that you can take a small screwdriver and turn back the little wheel that adjusts the brake shoes. Sometimes the backing plate hole is covered by an oval rubber plug.

Now being a '78, it could be frozen. So some times I have resorted to prying the drums off, and tapping on them with a hammer (carefully to not crack them) to vibrate and "bounce" the shoes off of the drum a little at a time.

Last edited by ToughBowtieTruck; 01-02-2010 at 05:05 PM.
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #3
loverofchevystrucks

Drum brakes

HEY EVERYONE. I HAVE A 1978 CHEVY K20, AND I AM TRYING TO GET THE DRIVERS REAR DRUM OFF BUT HAVING NO LUCK. EVERYONE IS TELLING ME THT THERE IS A HOLE TO BACK THE BRAKES OFF IN THE BACK BUT I SEE NO HOLE. THERE IS ONE IN THE DRUM. WHEN I AM GOING LIKE 10MPH OR SO AND COME TO A STOP THE DRIVERS SIDE REAR LOCKS UP ONLY GOING SLOW AND IT STICKS WHEN I AM TAKING OFF. ANYBODY HAVE ANY IDEAS. THANKS FOR READING
Old 01-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
Big Port Jimmy 6
Addicted to Rust

Line the drum hole up at the bottom of the backing plate. You should be able to see the adjuster. it will be toward the rear, it turns up to loosen. You may have to cut the hold down nail heads in the backing plate if the adjuster is stuck. Jay
87 GMC CCSB 5.3 4l60E Daily Driver

ECTA National record holder XO/PP

We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public.
Big Port Jimmy 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
loverofchevystrucks

Thanks guy for the information
Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
kris's66lwb
resident wrencher

mine does the same thing i took it all apart and i had a helluva time getteing the drum off it was because my axel seal is leaking causing everything to stick when mixed with brake dust
kris's66lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

there could be a slot in the front of the drum but most of the ones ive seen ( im not a 4wd guy) are in the backing plate and youre able to stick a screwdriver in there and pop the arm on the self adjusting mechanism so you can back off the adjustment on the star adjuster and then release the drum.
If you have a heavily gouged drum this may be a real PITA cause sometimes the shoe groves into the drum and you have to beat the snot outta it to get it loose

you should pull both sides and check the wheels out you may have too little on the pass side or there could be a kink or something with the line to the drivers side

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!

Last edited by old Rusty C10; 01-02-2010 at 09:32 PM.
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #8
dan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverofchevystrucks View Post
Take a look at the backing plate and look for a semi-punched slot. The guy doing the first brake job would finish punching out the slot and after performing brake service would seal the slot with a rubber plug.

If the drum continues to resist your best efforts....try a brake drum puller.

http://www.restockit.com/Posi-Lock-2...ci_sku=KDT3601
dan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Merged....Please don't do this. Multiple posting is againstthe rules for a reason. It makes for major confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #10
loverofchevystrucks

thanks for all the info. i just got it off today there is two nuts kinda like castle nuts that you have to undo to get the drum off . thanks again