The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
kcackler

Brake Pedal SOMETIMES goes to the floor

I've got a 76 C10 with a problem. The brakes work perfectly all of the time (They are brand new) and stop me in an instant. However, recently, if I'm sitting at a stop light and sort of let up on the brake to creep forward, when I go to press the brake again, I have no brakes and it goes to the floor. But then all I have to do is let up all the way on the pedal and push it and it's as solid as it always has been.

So what could my problem be? The most I know about brake systems is changing the pads and bleeding the lines.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
cableguy0

Re: Brake Pedal SOMETIMES goes to the floor

check all the rubber lines,the calipers,wheel cylinders and check for leaks. also unbolt the master cylinder and check for fluid seeping out behind it. after your done with that. bleeding the lines one more time might also help.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
fixit-p

Sounds like a bad MC. if your at a stop and maintain the brake pedal (no more or less effort) will it creep forward?

Quote:
Originally posted by:Abraham Lincoln "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that it is nearly impossible to discern if they are genuine."
fixit-p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
ironroad9c1
Master Hater

Master cyl is bad, that is the sure sign right there, if you sit there with your foot on the pedal, just apply light pressure and it will sink to the floor. Go ahead and replace it and then do a good bleed and flush of your lines.
ironroad9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
kcackler

I'll go start it up tomorrow and see if it creeps forward when I maintain a steady pressure on the pedal.

So if the MC was bad, braking would work fine all of the time, except at a stop?

Also, how big of a job is the replacement and how long does it take?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:57 PM   #6
cableguy0

The symptoms your experiencing are one of the first signs of the master going bad. not the end all be all but just a sign. master cylinders going bad can do all sorts of different things. it will come to a point it wont work at all
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:02 PM   #7
msgross

I had a master cylinder work fine when I left the parking lot, then go to the floor at the next light...

cheap part, easy fix, just have to bench bleed the MC and then bleed all four wheels... Takes 1-2 hours and $30 but I would spray some PB blaster on your bleed valves right now and let them soak. Get a buddy to help you, plenty of info on the net...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
ToughBowtieTruck

Look at the brake booster behind the master cylinder. 80% of the time it will be wet. What happens is the seal gets worn in the master cylinder...if you use the brakes normally the seal swells up and won't leak, but then if you push it real light or slow; or hold the brake pedal down, the seal deflates and leaks the pressure out.

Happens on a lot of older trucks.

"Mr. Simpson, there are thousands of people like you with no discernible talent." Duff World Records Division

"Yeah, they're called Congress!!" -Homer Simpson
ToughBowtieTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #9
kcackler

Quote:
Look at the brake booster behind the master cylinder. 80% of the time it will be wet.
That confirmed it. The booster is soaked.

I love this place

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

just make sure you search and read thoroughly the part about bleeding the master when you install a new one or it wont work right either... masters are easy to do

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote