The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2003, 10:57 PM   #1
TIMSPEED

Carb Problem: Figured out what was wrong...

Well, I took the truck over to my friends dad today, and he set my truck all good. He said that my carb is leaking somewhere, because he turned the idle mixture screws 100% closed off (lean) and the truck still idled! Albeit VERY rough, but it still DID idle, he said that with them turned off, it should just DIE. Also, he noticed that I had a "flutter" in the rpm band, which he said would indicate raw fuel being dumped in (and not metered). He said I should get it rebuilt, but this carb is BRAND new. SO...back to Holley it goes this week. Right now, he set the timing to 14º advanced at idle (so it'll actually RUN, instead of stumbling BADLY) He noticed I had my distributor on the wrong vacuum port (I had it on FULL vacuum, it was supposed to be on Ported Vacuum) So...all in all, real good guy, the truck runs 100x better (I actually smoked the back tire today!) But, he said once the new carb comes in, to take it back to him and we're gonna performance tune it.
He said it was like a vacuum leak or a miss, but he measured my vacuum and it's 20"hg @ 800rpm (which he said is GOOD) and we went through the ignition and it was all good and dandy, so it's that the carb will leak raw fuel into the intake once in a while, which causes the rough idle and crap.