The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
PJsthnam

leaf spring question

I posted this in the message board section, but should have posted here. How hard or easy is it to remove leafs? I want to level the truck and maybe soften the rear suspension.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: leaf spring question

The worst part will be getting the bolt out of the "eye" of the leaf spring bushings.
Most of the time the bolt rusts solid to the bushing sleeve. The u-bolts may be another problem area.

I would start my using penetrating oil on everything you plan to remove,... a few days ahead of time.
But,... since you are in CA you my have no problems.
I would still use some "anti-seize" lubricant on everything when you reassemble your suspension.

Are you planning on using a set of drop leaf springs?

Last edited by lolife99; 01-08-2010 at 06:50 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
stevieB

Not very difficult, You could start by removing the overload spring "the thick flat one on the bottom" that could help out with softening the ride. as for removing the rest: I'm not sure on yours what there will be, there is either a pin or a bolt through the center of the leaf pack. If there is a pin the you will grind the head off, remove the desired amount of leafs and put a bolt and nut through. Make sure the head of the bolt is on the bottom of the leaf pack. Or if you have a flip, the top. Also make sure the head of the bolt will fit snugly in the pin hole on the axle perch. If there is a bolt through the leaf pack then same steps with a new bolt, you just dont have to grind it out "unless of course the bolt is rusted". IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CLAMP THE SPRING PACK TOGETHER WHEN TAKING THE PIN OUT OR IT WILL EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE! I would start with the overload spring first.
stevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
fiddy9apache

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieB View Post
Not very difficult, You could start by removing the overload spring "the thick flat one on the bottom" that could help out with softening the ride. as for removing the rest: I'm not sure on yours what there will be, there is either a pin or a bolt through the center of the leaf pack. If there is a pin the you will grind the head off, remove the desired amount of leafs and put a bolt and nut through. Make sure the head of the bolt is on the bottom of the leaf pack. Or if you have a flip, the top. Also make sure the head of the bolt will fit snugly in the pin hole on the axle perch. If there is a bolt through the leaf pack then same steps with a new bolt, you just dont have to grind it out "unless of course the bolt is rusted". IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU CLAMP THE SPRING PACK TOGETHER WHEN TAKING THE PIN OUT OR IT WILL EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE! I would start with the overload spring first.
i agree with everything except removing the over load spring, remove the first leaf but keep the over load.
fiddy9apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
stevieB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy9apache View Post
i agree with everything except removing the over load spring, remove the first leaf but keep the over load.
that is correct actually, you should keep the overload spring to minimize axel wrap.

good call fiddy9
stevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:03 AM   #6
Libertad
No Nonsense

How many springs do you have in your pack?

I had 8 and removed 4. I left the overload leaf (big thick bottom one) then removed the next two small ones, skipped one, removed the next one, skipped one, removed the next one and left the top one. I have 29 1/2 inches from ground to top of wheel well. Using 15" tires.

Just make sure you jack up the truck high and put jack stands under the frame, remove the tire, place a jack stand under the axle (not high, the lower the better) and lower the lift. This will remove the pressure from the springs. Remove the rear bolt and then the front bolt. Then you can remove the 4 nuts from the U-bolts.

I did one side at a time and it was not very difficult.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
PJsthnam

I have 5 leafs, the middle one being the thickest.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
msgross

you can do this job with the springs on the truck, not easy but you can... I prefer to use my bench vise since it's stronger than any C-Clamp.

you might need a new center pin and new U-bolts depending one the amount of threads that you have remaining. My truck only has two rear leafs so i added a leaf, stiff as crap now and 1.5" higher. you will loose height if you remove any..
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
PJsthnam

I want to either lose some height in the rear or raise the front a little. Not sure yet wich way I want to go. I just want to level the truck more.