The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
Oklahoma

New engine

Hi guy's, I'm looking to put in all new power train, motor, tranny and have the rearend rebuild.
Question
#1 If you had the chance to buy a complete crate engine, which small block would you buy? I want it to run good on pump gas with adiquate power.
#2 I have 2.79 gears in the rearend, would you guys use these gears ro go alittle higher? I'm not looking to race or burn outs, just a good cruiser to go down the interstate and in town.
#3 I have a 700R4 would you guys run a stall converter, considering that I'm just plan on using it for day to day driving? I dong know much about stall converters, so I'm not sure if I should install one while I redoing everything.
#4 Airconditioning, should I buy a complete aftermarket kit or buy parts and peices from different manufactures?
Thanks guys
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Chevy Fleetside

Re: New engine

Everyday driver. I would think a basic crate engine would be good. They have decent power and maybe more depending on what you bolt on to it. They will run perfect on Reg gas also. If you want a little more power, you can go the next one up. I am talking about GM crate engines. You could look into other though. I think you would be happier with 3.08 gears in the rear, unless you want to crusie on the freeway at 80 mph just to get into overdrive. Trucks have taller tires then cars do. A/C? I think kit already put together would be the best bet. It has all the matched pieces already and there is alot less headache. Which one is the question.
These are just my thoughts.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

If I had it to do over, I'd put a LSX in mine with a 4L80E trans. You could probably get a complete set-up for what you're gonna spend on a crate.
As for stall converters, they're a pain for a everyday around town driver. I put a 3000 in my 68 GMC years ago and I regretted it.
Those are just my opinions.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

290 horse 350 Mr. Goodwrench motor. (3 years on mine - outstanding).
Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’d also recommend the 290hp stock crate engine for the reasons noted above.

The 2.79 gears will work, but with tall tires it may bog the engine in overdrive since the .70 overdrive will change the 2.79 to something like 1.95. You might be happier with something like 3.23’s, which will provide a final drive ratio in the neighborhood of 2.24. With the 3.06 low gear in the transmission and 3.23 rear axle the launch ratio (1st gear x rear axle ratio) will be almost 10:1. By comparison that’s more pull than a 2.20 four speed with 4.11 gears in the rear axle (9:1 launch).

My only experience with a stall converter was when I had the 350 automatic in my truck. It was miserable to drive around town, and lasted about a month before I pulled it out and replaced it with a stock one. That’s the only experience I have with them.

I’d also buy a complete A/C kit from one place. You might want to do a search or post another thread asking for opinions on the best brand. I had an Old Air unit it my truck and after 3 years of having it not work right I tore it out and threw it all away. I’d want opinions from a bunch of people before spending that kind of money again.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
badadrew

I put a few of the 290 horse 350's in and they are indeed a great, reliable, and affordable crate engine.

On the other hand, you might also consider the 330hp 350 HO from GM if the budget allows. It still has mild manors for a cruiser but in the event that you do decide to step it up a little in the future, it has a lot of potential with the Vortec heads. A cam and coresponding valve spring swap will really wake it up.

I would recommend a gear change either way especially with the 700 trans but that is best determined after you've decided what diameter tires you will be running and exactly what engine/cam profile.

The converter will also depend on other selections such as cam profile and can make quite a difference good or bad depending on which way you go. Stall speed is somewhat complicated and is not a set/guaranteed number regardless of the converter used. The way a given converter behaves varies with different vehicle/engine combinations. I recommend that once you decide exactly what you're going to run, contact the converter manufacturer for a recommendation. (They're too expensive to take a guess.)

It's a package deal - you can spend all the money in the world on the best components but if they're not properly matched, you've wasted your money.
badadrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
MacAttack
283 Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by badadrew View Post
On the other hand, you might also consider the 330hp 350 HO from GM if the budget allows.
That's exactly what I'd have done if $$$ would have allowed.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Oklahoma

Thanks Guy's that give me alot of usefull information, and things to think about. No stall from what I can tell, 300-350 hp motor, and 3.08-3.50 or so for the gearing.
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #9
badadrew

There's no shame in what you've got - the 290 horse is a great choice. Besides, it's better to be able to drive one for 3 years because you purchased within your budget than to let one sit for 3 years because you're trying to build one that's not.

They're cool in the garage but fun on the street!
badadrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #10
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If your budget allows take a look at the L31 Vortec replacement long block. They are a very nice engine which comes with the factory roller cam. The roller cam is nice so you don't have to worry about which oil to run, or getting an additive for the oil with a flat tappet cam. If that one is out of reach then either the 330hp HO350, or the 290hp 350.

You will definitely want to switch to some lower gears(higher numerically) with a 700R4. The goal isn't to have the lowest possible cruise rpm's, but rather to have the engine operating in it's power band where it is most efficient.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote